Thread: unusual credit

Silver Member

unusual credit

seems some people are completing tasks way faster (orders of magnitude) than their wingman, I checked an epyc doing 33k cpu seconds to a threadripper doing it in 90

https://www.rechenkraft.net/yoyo/wor...?wuid=56426659
    Last edited by Al; 03-17-21 at 07:40 AM.

Administrator

Re: unusual credit

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    seems some people are completing tasks way faster (orders of magnitude) than their wingman, I checked an epyc doing 33k cpu seconds to a threadripper doing it in 90

https://www.rechenkraft.net/yoyo/wor...?wuid=56426659
    I believe MQueens runs on both cpu and gpu. I'm guessing the 90 sec completion times are run on a gpu and validated against a wu run on a cpu. Just a guess since I don't have any Opencl 2.0 compliant gpus and have never run a gpu MQueens.

Diamond Member

"Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    I believe MQueens runs on both cpu and gpu. I'm guessing the 90 sec completion times are run on a gpu and validated against a wu run on a cpu. Just a guess since I don't have any Opencl 2.0 compliant gpus and have never run a gpu MQueens.

if i had a compatible card...and since yoyo preferences dont allow for toggling cpu/gpu i figure someone with an app_info/config to run only gpu WUs could do pretty good compared to others?

Diamond Member

Yes. The GPU app is how I accelerated my production to get to 50m.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

supposedly the tahitis are opencl 2 capable so I downloaded and installed the files (2gb version), can't get any WUs. I wish the event log would tell me why (none available?).

edit: i guess SOME of the hd 7000 series were GCN 2.0, which was openCL 2.0 ready. So wikipedia isn't gospel. I tried to fudge things, i ended up getting some tasks but they errored out in seconds. Yoyo's boinc website is so old I can't view the canoncial/stderr? outputs but yeah I'm sure it's like asking my Tahitis to speak Greek.

Need new GPUs but prices are insane. Someone tell me that the used market will get back to normal again.
    Last edited by MindCrime; 03-20-21 at 05:34 PM.

Administrator

I think Tahitis were GCN 1st Gen and Opencl 2.0 is compatible with GCN 2nd Gen.