Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World Community Grid: OpenPandemics - COVID-19 Now Running on Machines with Graphics

Silver Member

Re: World Community Grid: OpenPandemics - COVID-19 Now Running on Machines with Graph

Thanks zombie this is good info but Al pretty much got it for what i was meaning to ask. but now that you mention it i might run some other wcg projects on CPU and only open pandemics on gpu.

Silver Member

Re: World Community Grid: OpenPandemics - COVID-19 Now Running on Machines with Graph

After seeing the "Tasks for Intel GPU are available, but your preferences are set to not accept them" over and over trying to get gpu tasks I finally got around to turning on and getting the igpu working in boinc again. I was able to turn it on in bios and see all three display devices in windows device manager but boinc only saw the 2x 7970s. Had to do a little cable rodeo and plug in another monitor to the mobo hdmi and now I got all three gpus showing in boinc.

But now that I've finally got boinc asking for amd/ati and intel WUs it says no tasks available... of course it does.

edit: haven't seen an igpu WU yet

Also I got tired of BOINC holding off on GPU WUs because of the higher claimed CPU usage so I figured i'd make an App_config, i guessed what the app would be called because it'll tell you the known ones when you get it wrong. I guessed right the first time..

<app_config>
    <app>
    <name>opng</name>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>1.0</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>0.20</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    </app_config>
    Last edited by MindCrime; 04-12-21 at 09:00 PM.

Silver Member

30,000 gpu batches released to stress the system. I haven't been paying attention enough to know how big that is. but i have multiple machines with 100wus, might be a limit per host.
    https://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/f...43386_offset,0

edit: limit maybe is 50wu's per gpu.
    Last edited by Al; 04-26-21 at 09:18 PM.

Administrator

Uploads/downloads are slow.
    Scheduler request failed: HTTP service unavailable

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

If you want to earn those hours, load up your GPUs with as many WUs that will run without erroring out. The longer they run the better....
    Code:
    <app_config>
    <project_max_concurrent>0</project_max_concurrent>
    <app>
    <name>opng</name>
    <max_concurrent>2</max_concurrent>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>0.5</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>0.5</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    </app>
    </app_config>

Diamond Member

Put something like this in your updater script for each machine. It will prevent the crazy long backoffs for up/downloads.

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\BOINC\boinccmd" --host 192.168.7.248 --passwd password --network_available
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

upload/downloads seem to have cleared up, not sure if they made some fixes or if everyone is now loaded up.

I'm now getting WUs that are taking 3-5x longer than the previous ones that were just a few minutes. They're paying better but not scaling 3-5x, more like 2-3x. Still great credit relative to WCG. I switched this machine to 2x concurrency for the hours, maybe there will be a little net credit improvement too since these WUs are up and down on GPU loads.

Silver Member

Just looked at my GPU with MSI afterburner, and it shows o% utilization .

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave gpu View Post
    Well now it seems like they are working again.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dave gpu View Post
    I'm running 8 wus on a GTX 1650 with all 8 cpu threads free. It took that many to get gpu utilization up to 99% at least part of the time. CPU is maxed out at 100%. These gpu wus are, in reality, cpu wus that use a little gpu. Can't bitch about the credits though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast