Thread: Need AMD Ryzen 9 upgrade advice

Past Administrator

Need AMD Ryzen 9 upgrade advice

Since I've waited until April 2021 and still can't find a Ryzen 9 5950X in stock, do I...
    A. Scrap the plans and wait (yet again) for the next generation?
    B. Purchase a Ryzen 9 3950X for a placeholder?
    C. " Ryzen 9 3900X "
    D. " Ryzen 7 5800X " (this is newest but least performance).
    E. Other? (Suggestions welcome.) I also have two 3930K rigs that could be upgraded to Xeon E5-1680V2. The rig I already upgraded smokes the 3930K.

I should add the only reason to upgrade anything at all would be to help the team in challenges. Even my laptop performs any computing "needs" I have personally.

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Re: Need AMD Ryzen 9 upgrade advice

Another option might be to replace the 3990k's with E5-25683v3 ES mentioned here. I would only consider it if the RAM you bought these could be used with 5950X systems once they are in stock.

https://www.setiusa.us/showthread.ph...d-250-shipping

Past Administrator

Thanks, that's an interesting option. Probably if I keep those rigs going, I'll just do the E5-1680V2 CPU swap - the ASUS PX79 Pro motherboards are solid, the XEON CPU turns them into PCIe 3.0, and I already have stacks of the DDR3 RAM. I think if I get new motherboards, it'll be the AMD X570 boards with whatever DDR4 RAM works good there.

Thing is, I've waited this long and still no availability of what I want (Ryzen 9 5950X), and now I'm reading stuff about DDR5 coming out with the next generation. So maybe I should just keep the old rigs for another round, and wait for Zen 4 with DDR5? Not like I can even get a better GPU than what I have now either, so...I just don't know what's the best option at this point.

Past Administrator

Since I still can't decide if I should plow $ into a build that isn't what I really want, I went ahead and got two more E5-1680V2 CPUs. This way at least the X79 rigs will be up to their maximum output for upcoming challenges.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Since I still can't decide if I should plow $ into a build that isn't what I really want, I went ahead and got two more E5-1680V2 CPUs. This way at least the X79 rigs will be up to their maximum output for upcoming challenges.
    You're gonna force me to upgrade my 2-3930's aren't you?

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    You're gonna force me to upgrade my 2-3930's aren't you?
    For $129 each, it's a pretty nice upgrade. But of course, that's $ that could be put against a new rig, so I'm not sure how it pans out, other than these ASUS X79 Pro motherboards have to be some of the longest lasting in continuous crunching duty I've ever seen, so figured why not if they're still going?