Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Figured this belonged here!

Platinum Member

Figured this belonged here!

Got a fraking virus on the dual core called Windows Recovery. Figured my son Dl,d it. Got it with running Mcafee, Malwarbytes and Dr whatever it's called. Took out my icons, showed C drive as blank. Wouldn't let me run task manager. Had to go to file properties to reset it to show hidden files. Icons came back, but greyed out. 1 new icon called Windows Recovery. Looks like a legit program. Clicked it and it ran through a scan that said HD corrupted, Boot Sector corrupted, Blah, Blah, Blah. Click here to purchase program. Checked for it on Google on other machine. Said to run Malwarbytes. Wouldn't let me access the program. When I rebooted machine into safe mode, wouldn't let me finish a new install. Tricked it by installing to a flash drive. Hoping that a scan will fix problem. Going to jump on someones ass when they get home!

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Platinum Member

Re: Figured this belonged here!

Does this mean Mrs. CBS is going to be a widow soon?

Platinum Member

Youngest son and girlfriend who can't stay off Facebook and Myspace and Youtube!

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

You've been hi-jacked. Most likely all your files have been hi-jack encrypted. You can pay them for the key(bad idea) or do a re-install from a clean disk making sure bios is set to boot from clean install disk first. Do a full format of HD then install OS.

Platinum Member

Hoping that's not the case, but not looking good so far. Malwarbytes found program and seems to have removed it, but everything else remains the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
    Hoping that's not the case, but not looking good so far. Malwarbytes found program and seems to have removed it, but everything else remains the same.
    If it has been truly hijacked the only way you can get back lost data is by paying for the key. Hijackers don't care if you've found their program after they have encrypted your video's/photo's etc...that's what they are hoping for, that you will pay to recover.

Platinum Member

Think your right. Haven't checked whether I can access pictures or documents. Some things still work. Virtual machine was unaffected, so trying to get MW runnning on GPU through there.

Gold Member

Had friends bring in 2 computers with the same thing. I ended up formatting all of them and re-installing. I also made the mistake of hooking one of the computers into my home network and ended up having to format one of my boxes. Was not happy but this is a very bad hack or virus. Whatever you want to call it.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Platinum Member

This is turning out to be an all dayer! Looks like HD is clean of virus, but the effects linger on. Pulled HD and put a new one in to see if after reload, I can recover files from the old as a slave. DVD writer wouldn't read the CD. Tried to load on flash, but wouldn't boot even after setting the flash as the only boot option. There went an hour after transfering to flash. Don't have a SATA CD player, so I pulled the original OS discs and it tried to load, but had lots of read errors. After 2 hrs, only 1 of 3 discs done. Did a quick DVD writer change while machine was running. Almost workied, but I had to reboot and it went back to the begginning of disc 2. 22 more minutes in and disc 3 is almost done. I hope this thing boots after I'm done. Then comes all of the file updates and installs to get it back to crunch ready. Hope I can remember all the things I need to reload.

Gold Member

As long as you remember to reload the important one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast