View Poll Results: Have you have the COVID vaccine?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've had all doses of the vaccine

11 84.62%
  • I've had the 1st dose and will get the 2nd dose

0 0%
  • I've had the 1st dose and will NOT get the 2nd dose

0 0%
  • I haven't had6 the vaccine but plan to soon

0 0%
  • I will get the vaccine as soon as the FDA approves it

0 0%
  • I will never get the vaccine

2 15.38%

Thread: COVID Vaccine

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

COVID Vaccine

Just curious. People are going bat shit crazy over the COVID vaccine here in Wayne County, NC. Only 34% of the 123,000 people have had the vaccine and based on most social media posts, I doubt many more will get it. I've had both doses.

BTW, I'm not trying to start a debate about it. Just curious how people feel. The poll is anonymous so we won't see how you voted.
    Last edited by scole of TSBT; 07-25-21 at 04:10 PM.

Advisor - Stateside Division

Re: COVID Vaccine

My wife and I got it as soon as available, my 18yr old son not long afterwards and my 15yr old daughter got her first dose the day it was approved for 12-16yr olds and has been fully vaccinated now for 6 weeks.

Administrator

My family (wife and in-laws) all got it as soon as available, as did our friendship bubble. My wife works for UNC Hospital and they just made it mandatory for employment (as did WakeMed, Duke, etc.), which was way overdue as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Silver Member

My 35-year old daughter who is a paper-pushing NY government worker, aka "essential worker," got the vaccine in January. My wife, a public librarian working in a library closed to the public got it in February. Me, the senior citizen of the clan and most at risk of dying from the virus got it in May. It's interesting, though, that I went 16 months through a "pandemic" and never got the virus. Also interesting, I asked my wife and daughter what the minimum percentage of world population should have the virus before it is called a "pandemic." Daughter said 40%. Wife said 20%. About 200 million out 7.9 billion people have had the virus worldwide (2.6% of the world population) of which 4.16 million (0.053% of the world population) have died from it. (Yes the numbers are estimates with inconsistent methodologies and should be considered suspect).

Oh, I should add that both the wife and daughter said there is no question that COVID-19 is a pandemic
    Last edited by myshortpencil; 07-25-21 at 11:37 PM.

Administrator

Methodologies do matter and they are all over the place, I agree. I've found research on Excess Deaths to be the one I most trust because it is purely numbers. Excess deaths are deaths above and beyond what you would expect in a normal year, without any additional influences, like a Pandemic. This type of research takes into account deaths from all causes, and compares it to expected death rates. It allows researchers to catch those that, say, died of something treatable but the person didn't go to the hospital for fear of contracting Covid. They didn't actually die of Covid, but Covid contributed to their death. Or people who died at home, but were never tested, especially early on when testing was in short supply. It's also able to account for decreases in death rates, less people dying in car accidents because of lock downs, next to no deaths from seasonal flu because we were all masked up and avoiding other people. I understand everyone has varying views on where we are at and how we got here and I respect that, just stay safe and healthy. As for me and mine, we'll stay masked and physically distanced when out in public as we've never been healthier than we have been over the last year...no colds, flu or allergies. Maybe that was our Pandemic Silver Lining.

Gold Member

At our age we weren;t taking any chances. We got both doses as soon as we could. Now as the vaccine becomes available all our family is receiving it.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Gold Member

I waited in long lines of cars several times trying to snag an "extra" dose. I ended up getting it pretty early, due to no-shows at the vax center. It was a huge relief, since I have had to continue working on location throughout the pandemic. I'm not too worried about myself, but my wife was pregnant and we didn't want to take any chances.

Gold Member

Got the vaccine as soon as it was available to me. I wasn't going to rejoin the world until I did.
    6r39 7r199