Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Linux + Blu-Ray combo?

Past Admin

Which Linux + Blu-Ray combo?

Hey.

I am just about to throw out my HTPC!! That damn thing keeps doing things which annoys me....The latest was freezing in the middle of a film I watched with the kids...

Well thing is...

I got a spare HD of 500GB. So canīt I just throw on some sort of Linux? And can one play Blu-Ray movies in Linux? I use the optical drive, so no compressed files from HD. And do I need to buy Nividia videocard, to getter optimal performance in Linux? (ati drivers used to suck last time I played around)

The specs:

Asus M3N78-HTPC
    AMD X2 240e (2.8 Ghz@45W)
    2*2 GB PC-6400
    Samsung F3 320 GB
    Samsung 12x BR/DVD-R
    Club 3D Ati 5450 passive cooled
    Silverstone Grandia 05

This little thingy is not crunching.

Edit: I may wanna say that itīs currently running Windows Vista x64 and XMBC. But after the install of BR optical, I now use that included program Cyberlink PowerDVD, since XBMC cannot run BR discs...
    Last edited by Beerdrinker; 04-23-11 at 10:06 AM.
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Admin

Re: Which Linux + Blu-Ray combo?

Well. After turning this upside down all afternoon, I think I found the sinner....Itīs Cyberlink PowerDVD software....DAMN! No I canīt play BR discs!

Anyone know a program that can do this?

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    Well. After turning this upside down all afternoon, I think I found the sinner....Itīs Cyberlink PowerDVD software....DAMN! No I canīt play BR discs!

Anyone know a program that can do this?
    VideoLan Client a.k.a. VLC. It is platform independent, will play anything and works with any codec, and is Licensed under GPL so it is FREE. There is a catch but it has nothing to do with VLC but Linux. Since Linux is GPL, codecs for DVD and Blu-Ray are NOT included in the distros. You can add the codec libraries after install but in some contries that act is illegal. Check your legal statutes before adding any copyrighted libraries.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    VideoLan Client a.k.a. VLC. It is platform independent, will play anything and works with any codec, and is Licensed under GPL so it is FREE. There is a catch but it has nothing to do with VLC but Linux. Since Linux is GPL, codecs for DVD and Blu-Ray are NOT included in the distros. You can add the codec libraries after install but in some contries that act is illegal. Check your legal statutes before adding any copyrighted libraries.
    Is there some way to make VLC play BluRay under Windows Vista? I can understand that people are afraid of loosing money....But Hell.....I paid for my copy of Vista Home Premium, and I bougth the discīs I am viewing....

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    Is there some way to make VLC play BluRay under Windows Vista? I can understand that people are afraid of loosing money....But Hell.....I paid for my copy of Vista Home Premium, and I bougth the discīs I am viewing....
    Yeppers. VLC will play anything on any platform.

Does Denmark have any laws against adding copyrighted libraries in terms of Linux?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

Yeppers. VLC will play anything on any platform.

Does Denmark have any laws against adding copyrighted libraries in terms of Linux?
    Probably. Will have to look into that.

Past Admin

Well, before entering the world of linux and BR restraints, I took another route...I registred at the CyberLink HP...

(my PowerDVD 9 is a OEM software bundle)

I figured that maybe there has been some updates to the software, that solves the problem.

I wanna explore every oppourtunity before format C: and move 300 musicalbums along with more than 4000 photos..

I will keep you posted.

Past Administrator

PowerDVD "Should" work.

BTW: The deal with copyrighted codec libraries only applies to Linux as M$ has paid the powers that be for the libraries in Windows. This means that VLC can legally play all copyrighted media on any version of Windows. I will also look into other Multi Media players that can decode Blu-Ray.

Note: I have run VLC on Win2K, WinXP Home/Pro/Pro x64, Vista and Win7. Never had any serious issues with any of those.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

PowerDVD "Should" work.

BTW: The deal with copyrighted codec libraries only applies to Linux as M$ has paid the powers that be for the libraries in Windows. This means that VLC can legally play all copyrighted media on any version of Windows. I will also look into other Multi Media players that can decode Blu-Ray.

Note: I have run VLC on Win2K, WinXP Home/Pro/Pro x64, Vista and Win7. Never had any serious issues with any of those.
    Well, I canīt play bluray with VLC on Windows Vista Home Premium x64. I just tried.

And Cyberlink PowerDVD froze my HTPC while installing lastest patch from Cyberlink themselves....I am getting FRUSTRATED!!

VLC play all my DVDs just fine. But it will not take the BR....How to fix this?

Past Administrator

OK, It looks like I got ahead of myself. VLC can play the codec used for Blu-Ray Disc (BD) but it cannot as of yet get past the copy protection but they are working on it. Since I do not have a BD drive, I have gotten my DB movies in ISO format and mounted them to a virtual drive. So I was wrong about BD on Windows. M$ instead passed on the financial burden of BD playback to the end user. You have to Buy a BD enabled media player.

I think your issue with PowerDVD is a version issue. If your version is 7 or earlier it will not play DB's. There are two versions currently available from CyberLink, 10 and 11. Each version comes in three flavors - Ultra, Deluxe and Standard. Unfortunately only the Ultra version plays DB's. Version 10 is $59.00 US and version 11 is $99.00 US. One more thing. It seems that PowerDVD needs an HDCP enabled monitor before it will play BDs.

There is a commercial program called AnyDVD that will "Unlock" any copyrighted disc. It is legal in the US because of a law called "The Fair Use Act" which entitles the user to make backups or convert media to an alternate form (example - ISO). This law exempts the the authors of AnyDVD (Slysoft Corp.) from lawsuits and places the burden of law on the end user. Like PowerDVD, AnyDVD is expensive. They want 63.00 EUR for a one year license.

This should interest you. It is from Slysofts website.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slysoft
    Legal issues

Advertising, sale, and lending of AnyDVD is outlawed in Germany
    Germany
    Germany , officially the Federal Republic of Germany , is a country in Western Europe. It is bordered to the north by the North Sea, Denmark, and the Baltic Sea; to the east by Poland and the Czech Republic; to the south by Austria and Switzerland; and to the west by France, Luxembourg, Belgium,...

(but possession and use on personally owned media is not), as it removes copy prevention from DVDs. The Heise news portal
    Heinz Heise
    Heinz Heise is a German publishing house. It was created in Hanover in 1949 as an address and telephone directory publisher, then later expanded to include magazines and loose leaf collections. In 2001, the company was divided into separate enterprises, all of which came under the umbrella of their...

was sued by the record industry for linking to SlySoft's website in a news report. The publisher subsequently counter sued with claims of violation of their constitutionally guaranteed freedom of the press and has as of April 2007 lost two appeal proceedings. The German Federal Constitutional Court
    Federal Constitutional Court of Germany
    The Federal Constitutional Court is a special court established by the Grundgesetz, the German basic law...

has decided not to rule on Heise's appeal for the time being because remedies in the ordinary courts had not been exhausted.
    The legal status of AnyDVD in other countries is unclear.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast