Thread: Nvidia Tesla P100

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Nvidia Tesla P100

Does anyone know what motherboard or other hardware requirements there are to run a Nvidia P100 PCIe? I've tried it in a LGA 1155 Z77 mobo with a I7-3770 under Win10 and linux, installed the Nvidia P100 drivers for the correct OS but no joy. Under Win10 in the device manager it showed the P100 but had an exclamation point with message This device cannot find enough free resources to use (code 12)

I also tried it on a Supermicro X10DAL-i with the C612 chip hoping a server mobo would work. It only has 1 PCIe slot so I had to do a headless setup. Installed the drivers but boinc never recognized it.

Anyone have advice?

EDIT: The X10DAL-i manual says it has 3 PCIe slots but only one of them has the retainer clip. 2 others are the same size but no retainer clip. Are those PCIe slots I can put a GPU in?
    Last edited by scole of TSBT; 10-25-21 at 09:19 PM.

Diamond Member

Re: Nvidia Tesla P100

No idea. But here are a couple of thoughts.

Do you have it in a forced air server chassis? Or attached some sort of 3rd party fan? Perhaps it is a thermal issue?

Another thought: Maybe it is a bios setting. Some mobos do not support using the integrated GPU (in the CPU) at the same time as a GPU in the slot. Same situation with some server mobos where there is built in VGA. Perhaps you have to turn off the GPU inside the CPU or mobo in order to get the mobo to recognize the GPU in the slot? Which then causes the problem of how then to do anything, since the P100 has no video-out. Maybe you can VNC into the machine from a remote machine? Or put in a second GPU to drive a monitor?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Cooling is step 2. Right now I'm just trying to get the drivers installed, no device errors and boinc to see it.

Do some PCIe slots not have the retainer clips? I have a few mobos with slots that look like PCIe but without the retainer clips. The mobo manual says they are PCIe, not PCI.

Administrator

I believe only the pcie x 16 slots have the clips, the slower x8 or less do not have clips. I have used both successfully in the past. Using the slower slots has a negative effect on some projects, but little to no effect on others.

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    I believe only the pcie x 16 slots have the clips, the slower x8 or less do not have clips. I have used both successfully in the past. Using the slower slots has a negative effect on some projects, but little to no effect on others.
    The manual shows one of them 16x speed and the other as 8x speed which isn't an issue. I just want to put a GTX 1050ti in it to use as for monitor and put the P100 in the 16x slot with clip for crunching. I tried just the P100 on a linux install but couldn't see or find any messages or errors as to why it wasn't working. I want to try it with Windows in this system but need a GPU with a monitor to do the setup and configuration.

Administrator

Try it on Windows with both gpus installed. To be honest, I've never tried to run 2 gpus in a Linux machine.

Diamond Member

I run dual 1660 Ti cards in a linux machine all the time, FWIW.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne