Thread: LGA2011 Cooler

Administrator

LGA2011 Cooler

Anyone sitting on a cooler to fit an LGA2011 MB? Even a stock intel cooler would be fine.

This machine has been sick and offline for a while, so I decided to tear it down this morning. When I got to the cooler only one corner of the cooler was holding. The other 3 screws had snapped off. I extracted the screws from the cpu hold down, but looking through my parts I've got nothing that will even work to do a short term test of the machine.

Administrator

Re: LGA2011 Cooler

Nevermind...I held down the cooler with a...brick??? Only while I did some quick tests. Necessity IS the mother of invention. Finally got it to boot so I'll just buy a new cooler.

Ambassador from TSBT scole of TSBT's Avatar

Best Buy stocks Corsair AIO CPU Coolers

Administrator

Received the new water cooler tonight. Since the case the 3930 is in is pretty small, I had to do some metal work to build a shroud so that I could place the radiator in the front drive bays. Since I had previously put the SSD in another system, I had to revert to a HHD removed from my wife's old laptop. I managed to reset windows 10 and keep it genuine, but the dual boot no longer boots into Linux. Another day for that one.

Oh, and running 100% on the cpus the new cooler has cut 10 degrees off the brick.

Edit: Seems Windows 10 is no longer activated. I'll just run it the way it is and see how long it lasts. My understanding is MS is not as testy as it used to be on inactivated copies and I can certainly live with the nag screen.
    Last edited by Al; 11-13-21 at 07:04 PM.