Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WCG is "up"... very limited work sent as test

Silver Member

WCG is "up"... very limited work sent as test

from their faq forums.

"Hi everyone, we've seen some questions repeated among multiple volunteers that we'd like to address quickly.

For volunteers that did not receive any new workunits to crunch, we'd like to emphasize that only a limited amount of workunits were sent out as part of a testing phase. For those of you who were confused by our previous messaging, we're sorry.

About the URL change, please disregard this notice and do not update the URL, as the existing URL is correct.

Finally, the common error that stats "Server is out of disk space", all WCG servers have an excess of free space, as does the shared filesystem. We are investigating the cause of this error and will update when it is resolved. The bug reports are a great help and very much appreciated.

If you have any other questions, please leave them below and we will answer them as soon as we can.

- WCG Team"

I'm guessing it's close to full up soon.

Administrator

Re: WCG is "up"... very limited work sent as test

I managed to get 14 wus on one machine. 12 of them errored out in 1 second. The other 2 completed, uploaded and validated. They are still having some issues to work through.

Administrator

In the last 45 minutes I received 114 tasks. Unlike the previous 14 that errored, these seem to be running without any problem so far.

Diamond Member

Since I (we) can't change our project preferences, I am stuck at zero resource share. So I am not getting any work because I have other projects at greater than zero. Ah well.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Administrator

I wouldn't be too concerned about it at this point. Though you do get credits, no hours are being credited so you won't be making any progress on badge upgrades.

Silver Member

seems like boinc is only asking it for gpu work and not cpu work. and i guess that's what zombie is referring to? the device manager on wcg side isn't functioning?

Administrator

You're more than likely correct. Whatever your preferences were when the migration started is what your preferences are now. Though you can change and save your preferences at WCG, it ignores them and uses the old preferences. I was fortunate in that I was accepting OPN1 (cpu) at the start of migration, so I've managed to get over 1000 wus as they are released. Unfortunately, you get no credit for that in WCG credits or hours, but for some strange reason you still get Boinc credits at the stats sites. Not sure how that works. Possibly those will be credited at WCG at a later date, which would be great for me since it would put me over the 100 year mark on OPN.

Silver Member

I'm not an IT guy at all, and maybe this is average but if i had to opine, i'd say this wcg migration has been quite the fumble.

Administrator

I agree. They are now 2 months out from the initial restart date. I'm sure WCG not having a conforming Boinc website had something to do with that. It might have been better if IBM had stayed actively involved until everything was up and running correctly instead of dropping the support at whatever point they dropped it. It is obvious now that that point was too early.
    Last edited by Al; 08-25-22 at 07:28 AM.

Silver Member

Does anyone know if WCG is sending out work? I got some in the early July test but nothing since. Also, I don't see a server status page -- probably part of the non-BOINC-conforming website that Al mentioned.

I hope everyone is happy, healthy and enjoying their summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast