Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WCG is "up"... very limited work sent as test

Administrator

Re: WCG is "up"... very limited work sent as test

Quote Originally Posted by myshortpencil View Post
    Does anyone know if WCG is sending out work? I got some in the early July test but nothing since. Also, I don't see a server status page -- probably part of the non-BOINC-conforming website that Al mentioned.
    Hey MSP, I haven't been poking it for work for the last week or more. My guess would be probably some, but not much and you probably won't get any unless you run a tickler. They have never had a status page...would be a welcome addition.

Silver Member

Thank you, Al

Administrator

Not much to update here. They are still in testing. More work is available, including releases of gpu work. You CAN now update your preferences. Alas, you still get Boinc credits at Free-DC and BoinStats, but no credit or hours increases show at WCG. I'm hoping that at least the hours are logged somewhere and can be added in later, but they have never said that will ever happen.

Silver Member

Al (Sphynx, right?) I know you have far more and far better gpus, And way better internet than me but how are you getting that much work from WCG? The transfer failures are so frequent that ive turned things down to 1 max concurrent transfer per project. That worked for a bit yesterday but i still had to baby it and hit "retry now" a lot. Today, however, I'm getting "internet access ok - project servers may be temporarily down" and chrome prevents me from accessing the website because of a security certificate issue.

update: seems they've fixed their security certificate issues, i was able to clear my transfer queue but it still took multiple retries. and that was just for a handful of WUs. I believe it's like 3 files per wu.
    Last edited by MindCrime; 09-10-22 at 01:33 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    Al (Sphynx, right?) I know you have far more and far better gpus, And way better internet than me but how are you getting that much work from WCG? The transfer failures are so frequent that ive turned things down to 1 max concurrent transfer per project. That worked for a bit yesterday but i still had to baby it and hit "retry now" a lot. Today, however, I'm getting "internet access ok - project servers may be temporarily down" and chrome prevents me from accessing the website because of a security certificate issue.

update: seems they've fixed their security certificate issues, i was able to clear my transfer queue but it still took multiple retries. and that was just for a handful of WUs. I believe it's like 3 files per wu.
    Yesterday was an anomaly, so don't base anything you do on what happened when their security cert expired. Things at WCG are improving today.

As for the amount of work I process, well, as I've mentioned before, you need a tickler to update as frequently as possible and you need to be running multiple clients or running an app_config running multiple wus on each client. Multiple clients work best. Old gpus are not a problem, I've run multiple wus on 750ti's and gt1030's. I run 6 at a time on a gtx 1650 Super. It's all about how many clients you run and how often that number allows you to ask for work.

Silver Member

i'm running on a 750ti and 2x 7970s. my issue is the transfers fail and timeout and get a pushback time. I'm running BPU to get work every 3 mins but i don't have anything that will retry failed downloads. does your "tickler" do that?

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MindCrime View Post
    i'm running on a 750ti and 2x 7970s. my issue is the transfers fail and timeout and get a pushback time. I'm running BPU to get work every 3 mins but i don't have anything that will retry failed downloads. does your "tickler" do that?
    No, it won't retry stuck downloads. Historically, I've retried mine manually.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    No, it won't retry stuck downloads. Historically, I've retried mine manually.
    but you can retry all hosts remotely, right?

Administrator

Yes, I use BoincTasks.

Diamond Member

Wait, a tickler/updater CAN retry uploads/downloads.

--network_available
    Tell the client to retry deferred network communication.
    Something like:

Code:
    C:\Program Files\BOINC\boinccmd" --host 192.168.x.xxx --passwd xxxx --network_available
    So stick that in your tickler file to run every 5 minutes or so, to prevent the increasing back-off.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12