Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the new Intel ARC GPUs crunch?

Past Administrator

Will the new Intel ARC GPUs crunch?

I'm tempted to get one of the new Intel ARC GPUs when they comes out just to help support another badly needed competitor in the GPU space. Any idea if they will be able to crunch most projects or not?

Diamond Member

Re: Will the new Intel ARC GPUs crunch?

I agree with your sentiment. More competition is better for us all.

It *should* crunch any OpenCL apps. But nothing actually tested yet. Then the projects would have to develop apps, or you would have to employ app_info.xml.

WRT the performance for the 750/770, they are supposed to be about the same as a 3060 in gaming, but no telling how that translates to crunching. For example, the AMD equivalent to the 3060 does poorly on AP27 at PG, but almost as good at other projects. It kinda depends on the apps.

But there is a potential upside. The DP ratio is supposed to way better than even current AMD cards (and way way better than Nvidia). So perhaps this will be the cheap, killer GPU for MW. TBD.

Edit: TPTB at PG have already said that they will be checking into this as soon as they can get a GPU. So fingers crossed.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Be aware, Intel's Arcs will only work as expected on systems with Ryzen 3000 or newer (smart access memory (SAM) "requirement"), or Intel 10th gen or newer (resizable bar "requirement"). Also, for Windows it must be Win10 20H2 update or newer (for the ReBar/SAM support)

I say "requirement" in quotes because that's Intel's wording, but technically it will still work with older systems or OS, but there's a significant performance hit - i've seen testing show a 22% difference, though i wish there were more examples to make a better judgement

Past Administrator

Thanks to both of you for the info. I'll keep an eye on the possibility then. I would need a new cruncher anyway to actually get any kind of numbers going again. Problem here is electric - the grid is about brought to its knees by every heatwave.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Thanks to both of you for the info. I'll keep an eye on the possibility then. I would need a new cruncher anyway to actually get any kind of numbers going again. Problem here is electric - the grid is about brought to its knees by every heatwave.
    naww the problem there is your governors lack of brains.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Past Administrator

Long awaited update. I finally pulled the trigger, first all-new build in years. Any pointers on crunching with an Intel Arc A770 16GB?
    Last edited by DrPop; 03-16-23 at 06:12 PM.

Platinum Member

Nice I keep wanting to get one to satisfy my curiosity but haven't quite convinced myself yet lol

Past Administrator

@JPM - PrimeGrid seems to be the first with any kind of Intel Arc GPU support...

EDIT: Well, it won't send me any WUs after a day of trying, so I guess it's not quite ready yet.
    Last edited by DrPop; 03-20-23 at 05:05 PM.

Past Administrator

Update: Not off to a good start. I think something's not optimized or coded right for crunching with the Arc GPUs, unfortunately. Not sure how long it will take the projects to getting around to supporting them - if there's even enough interest for them to do so.
    For example, I just ran 10 Einstein WUs on the Arc A770. Every one of them that's going through the system is being marked as invalid.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    @JPM - PrimeGrid seems to be the first with any kind of Intel Arc GPU support...

EDIT: Well, it won't send me any WUs after a day of trying, so I guess it's not quite ready yet.
    Arc runs fine and native on PG. I think you must have a setting out of whack. Make sure you have Intel Arc selected at the top, as well as the arc column for the sub-project you want. Note, arc is available on,y for gfn16 through GFN dyfl. And then make sure your machine is assigned the right venue.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast