Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Cruncher Online

Steve Bohlen

New Cruncher Online

I have a new cruncher online, a Dell PowerEdge 2650 (dual core Xeon @ 3.20Ghz) rack server. I know it's an older machine and only 32-bit, but the price was too good to pass up...it was cheaper than any desktop I've seen with the same power. Better known as 'hulk', he's currently crunching Primaboinca so I can see just how much better the crunching is with him in the farm. This is my first multi-core cruncher so I'm excited to see what he can do.

I was having some issues getting RAID turned off and Bok was awesome in helping out. I sent him a long PM for help and he replied with just a one sentence answer that had the clue I needed to get through the troubleshooting effort. Bok, you rock!

Another cruncher coming online soon (thanks to Bok for the hardware starter). I have a feeling my days of single core crunching will soon be over.

Past Administrator

Re: New Cruncher Online

Let me be the first to welcome you to . . . The FARMING CLUB! hehehe, this stuff can be addicting, so watch out, my friend!

Seriously, though - welcome to the club. If you would, run a CPU-Z on that thing and let me know what version the XEON is. Also, is it 2 CPU? I'm curious, because until last winter, I had 2 of those older Dell PowerEdge Xeon servers at my office.

JerWA

It's this one I believe:
    http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/I...3200EU%29.html

1 core, hyper threaded, 32 bit only. That's the only one I can find with the RK80532K string in it (there's one other but it's just a stepping change I think).

Advisor - Stateside Division

Did your package arrive Steve ?

Steve Bohlen

Quote Originally Posted by Bok View Post
    Did your package arrive Steve ?
    Yes, it did! Just last night. Thanks again, Bok. Will be tackling those parts soon.

As for the Xeon, it is dual core, hyperthreaded @ 3.2Ghz. Just quick paste from one of the project pages:

Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz [Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 5]
    (4 processors)

He's a bit loud, but I've read that the fans can be adjusted. Not too worried about that at this point though. Just want it to crunch for a bit.

It does have a few PCI-X slots so I'll now have the opportunity to play with GPUs for the first time as well. Eventually.

Silver Member

I miss the ole 2650, Great computers make a lot of heat.
    People do not grow old no matter how long we live. We never cease to stand like curious children before the great Mystery into which we

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bohlen View Post
    Yes, it did! Just last night. Thanks again, Bok. Will be tackling those parts soon.

As for the Xeon, it is dual core, hyperthreaded @ 3.2Ghz. Just quick paste from one of the project pages:

Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz [Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 5]
    (4 processors)

He's a bit loud, but I've read that the fans can be adjusted. Not too worried about that at this point though. Just want it to crunch for a bit.

It does have a few PCI-X slots so I'll now have the opportunity to play with GPUs for the first time as well. Eventually.
    I think you will run into a problem with GPUs. No company that I'm aware of currently makes GPUs for PCI-X except the CAD/Workstation hardware. But that stuff has a very high price tag. I wonder if there is a PCI-X daughter board that accepts PCIe cards???

Anyhow, have fun with the new hardware. Crunch on mate!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Congratulations Steve! Nice addition.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

JerWA

Even if you could "convert" the slots, the power reqs are way different.

PCI and PCI-X are both dead slots. On the plus side most PCI stuff is compatible (because PCI-X is backwards compatible), so if you DO find a PCI GPU it should work.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by JerWA View Post
    Even if you could "convert" the slots, the power reqs are way different.

PCI and PCI-X are both dead slots. On the plus side most PCI stuff is compatible (because PCI-X is backwards compatible), so if you DO find a PCI GPU it should work.
    OH, see this old dog can learn new things... LOL. I did not know about that compatibility option in PCI-X. Good to know.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast