Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's HERE!!

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

It's HERE!!

Just got the box in the mail from DrPop, SO! It's time to shut down the venerable rig named TheWeyr (place where dragons live).. And go to work moving the new hardware into the box. Still no name for it, but I'm working on it!!

With any luck, my next post will be from my dual core P4 rig

Past Admin

Re: It's HERE!!

Quote Originally Posted by KaoticEvil[SETI.USA] View Post
    Just got the box in the mail from DrPop, SO! It's time to shut down the venerable rig named TheWeyr (place where dragons live).. And go to work moving the new hardware into the box. Still no name for it, but I'm working on it!!

With any luck, my next post will be from my dual core P4 rig
    YEEEHHAAAAA!!

GO GO GO TEAM!!

Past Administrator

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Gold Member

Is this what they call team work?

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

@joker: Yes, yes it is. And "pieces" is runnin smooth. i was worried for a minute because this P-D940 is a 135w CPU, and the board only lists supporting 95w CPU's, so I test POSTed it before ripping my old mobo out.

Spent the rest of evening working on getting everything in here, and OS on it, and then getting the wife's rig changed out. She's online with no data loss. I, however, am not. I need to find drivers for my PCI-IDE card for Win7x64. Hope I can find them! lol

Need to restart to get BOINC running...

Edit: Got the IDE controller card running. It's a Promise Ultra 100. Had to get the drivers for an Ultra 133TX2 for Vista x64 for it to run, but it's all going now. Time to restore data!

"pieces" is crunching, but without the aid of a GPU. Had to pass the GeForce 8400GS down to the wife. No room for it in here. Will be getting me a shiny new PCI-X card soon tho!

Edit 2: CPU is running very hot.. 73C. Time to add some fans!
    Last edited by KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]; 10-28-10 at 11:13 PM.

Gold Member

Will be getting me a shiny new PCI-X card soon tho!
    It is like Christmas for the team. What card are you getting?

Diamond Member

73c is hot? My Core Duo (Merom) MacBook Pro runs at 93-94c all day long. Has been for several years now.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Is it running that hot at stock speed, or did you check to see if it's O/Cing your dually? I had that mobo set at 1333 FSB, so it might be giving you a good O/C? Stock FSB is 800 for that cpu.
    That would explain the temp...other than that, are you using any good arctic silver type compound, and which HSF?
    Any case fans at all? If airflow is not good, take the side cover off your case and watch to see if the temps go down. That will tell you if you need more case fans.
    If temp doesn't change, either re-seat the HSF or might just run it like that for a bit and see if you get any crashes...

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    73c is hot? My Core Duo (Merom) MacBook Pro runs at 93-94c all day long. Has been for several years now.
    Perhaps I'm still just used to my CPU's running at ~45C and ~50C under full load.. Been a long time since I ran anything but a 2.66GHz Celeron D Prescott core..

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Is it running that hot at stock speed, or did you check to see if it's O/Cing your dually? I had that mobo set at 1333 FSB, so it might be giving you a good O/C? Stock FSB is 800 for that cpu.
    That would explain the temp...other than that, are you using any good arctic silver type compound, and which HSF?
    Any case fans at all? If airflow is not good, take the side cover off your case and watch to see if the temps go down. That will tell you if you need more case fans.
    If temp doesn't change, either re-seat the HSF or might just run it like that for a bit and see if you get any crashes...
    I reset the BIOS before I powered it on, so all settings are defaults. No O/C (yet!) As for case fans, I've got 1 80mm fan in the back, and 1 in the front (but it's not on, it was hard-wired into the the old ECS board (P4VMM2 Rev 8.1)

Silver compound is good stuff, been using it for a while.. HSF is the stock one that was on the board. It ran all nite on full-throttle crunching PG, not a crash one. Was sitting here just like I left it last nite. I think I have another HSF that would go on it, just have to move the mounting bracket too, and it's in the wife's computer.. She's already unhappy with me over all the case swapping!

Speaking of case-swapping.. Do you happen to have the back panel for this mobo?

KaoticEvil[SETI.USA]

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Moved my tower this morning (it was on the floor, now it's right next to my desk on a filing cabinet), and the watched the CPU temp drop from 68-69C to 57-58C on SpeedFan. No change in running software. PG running full out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast