Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Z68 vs P67 Motherboards, Should I get one?

Past Admin

Z68 vs P67 Motherboards, Should I get one?

I've been looking at the P67 MB's for my sisters build. The new Z68 MB's are out and starting to get some reviews. Price is comparable vs the P67. I'm wondering if I should get a Z68 for future upgrade ability or stay in the P67?

This,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo
    And this one.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157250

Give me the best bang for buck z68/p67 to run 3 GPU's. (In the foreseeable future) If I have to go up to around $200.00 to $250.00 for a more future proof board I will.

What say you?

Past Administrator

Re: Z68 vs P67 Motherboards, Should I get one?

Yeah, the new Z68 Chipset looks better to me. That's what they should have started out with, IMHO. I don't think it was quite ready, and they were really wanting to thump the competition, so I think they just brought out Sandy Bridge with a half-@ss chipset and the rest is history.

For 2 GPUs, hard to beat this $120 mobo from GIGABYTE.

For 3 GPUs, this is the best bang for the buck, $199 ASRock.

Looks like with these boards you are paying a big premium for that 3rd GPU slot. Is this for your own personal rig? And would be filling that 3rd slot, or is there a better use for the $80?

Well, hmmm...you could get a 3 GPU capable mobo here for $159, P67 chipset, ASRock. Strong board. Good features...wonder if the Z68 is really worth $40 extra? That seems a little steep.
    JPM or F$ or someone like that -- can any of ya'll comment on whether it's worth $40 more?

@Mike - Is that kinda what you were looking for Mate?

Past Admin

Talking Re: Z68 vs P67 Motherboards, Should I get one? *UPDATE* I Bought a Z68

Yes and thank you. I always look here before leaping. Sort of cause I Jumped!! I just got an email notification from NewEgg that the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO is available. It was between the ASRock Z68 Extreme4 which is not available right now and the Asus above. Sooooo, I jumped at the Asus, 3 year warranty vs 1 year for Asrock.

So here is the setup.

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $209.99

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
    $314.99

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8
    $84.99

Total $610.

Shipping $9.57
    Promo Code -$15.00
    Total $604.57

I still have to collect a $25.00 rebate coming as well knocking this to under $600.00

I'll use the 950 PSU that Shadow sent me. Big shout out and Thank You. I see USPS crushed you on postage and I appreciate the PSU. It saved me a few dollars.

I'll put in in two hd 5870's. If there is room for the 3rd card. I'll swap in the OCZ 1200 psu and try to run a 3rd 5870. If not I'll run 2 in my rig and 2 in this one. Trying to run 3 gpu's seems to be a bit of a challenge with heat. We'll see how it goes.

I'm real tempted to see if my Sis wants my computer and I'll keep this one.

The order will be here later this week.

Once I get my Sis. computer up and running this is the end of my upgrades. My wife has been real patient with me. If I buy anything else I'll be looking for a low rent dog house to move into with my computer.

Diamond Member

One question that shipping is not to Portugal? I have not such a good luck.

Platinum Member

For us crunchers, i don't see the real need to get the Z68. But maybe your sis would get more use out of it than we would.

It doesn't support anymore PCIe lanes than the H/P67 does. Sure, you can switch between integrated graphics and a GPU, but at the cost of running your chip hotter, limiting your overclocking abilities. Caching frequently used data on an SSD? Why wouldn't you have your frequently used data on the SSD in the first place? lol Hell i don't even have an SSD so again, that's useless.

However, the Z68 does offer some overclocking ability that the H/P67s don't. But isn't that what the BIOS is for? Except that you can overclock CPUs that have locked multipliers (though it's very limited), i don't personally have a need for the Z68. But we're all different

PC Magazine Z68 article

Past Administrator

@Mike - wow, what a beautiful mobo! That is going to be one insane build. I am quite sure whoever gets it - you or her or your niece - will be happy with it for a long time to come. Thanks for thinking of the team when getting the hardware, too - I can feel The Force is strong with you...it is telling me, "a great increase in RAC coming soon."

Oh, and believe me, I second the bit about the "upgrading" vs doghouse. I am walking that tight rope too!

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    @Mike - wow, what a beautiful mobo! That is going to be one insane build. I am quite sure whoever gets it - you or her or your niece - will be happy with it for a long time to come. Thanks for thinking of the team when getting the hardware, too - I can feel The Force is strong with you...it is telling me, "a great increase in RAC coming soon."
    Thanks. I'm hoping with this build I'll go over the 1mil a day threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Oh, and believe me, I second the bit about the "upgrading" vs doghouse. I am walking that tight rope too!

I know it's true. I have seen the pics.

Gold Member

If I buy anything else I'll be looking for a low rent dog house to move into with my computer.
    And I have heard that there is no sex in the doghouse.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    For us crunchers, i don't see the real need to get the Z68. But maybe your sis would get more use out of it than we would.

It doesn't support anymore PCIe lanes than the H/P67 does. Sure, you can switch between integrated graphics and a GPU, but at the cost of running your chip hotter, limiting your overclocking abilities. Caching frequently used data on an SSD? Why wouldn't you have your frequently used data on the SSD in the first place? lol Hell i don't even have an SSD so again, that's useless.

However, the Z68 does offer some overclocking ability that the H/P67s don't. But isn't that what the BIOS is for? Except that you can overclock CPUs that have locked multipliers (though it's very limited), i don't personally have a need for the Z68. But we're all different

PC Magazine Z68 article
    Thanks JPM. I agree that this will be more card then I need, ATM.

Administrator

I'm looking to upgrade one of my comptuers to an I7 2600k. So the question comes to the MB and the built in graphics. Unless I'm mistaken to do crunching (multiple cards) you need to turn off the built-in GPU.

Can this be done on both P67 and Z68 MB? I'm looking at the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro and P867 Deluxe Rev 3.0.

I will be running a 5970 and some Cuda 570, 580, 590 ... I haven't decided on the 2nd card yet.

PS probably pulling the trigger on this build within a week so need a little quick help!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast