Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please post your GTX 460 OC settings

Past Admin

Please post your GTX 460 OC settings

I just checked my Nvidia rig and it has once again Down clocked. First to 405 then to 51

These are my settings on one card 898 1790 Voltage at 1000, 855 voltage the same 1000. Both cards are identical Asus Engtx460's Was wondering what voltage everyone else has their cards set at. I'm going to go back to 266.77 or 266.58 and hopefully this will stop happening. Any help is appreciated.

Gold Member

Re: Please post your GTX 460 OC settings

Just a thought, perhaps you should flash your BIOS with the OC settings.

Platinum Member

A few points...

1. Even within identical cards, there is variability in overclockability, stability, etc., due largely to random factors. In my world, we call that "sampling error". But it's very common to see different behavior in identical hardware.
    2. If you're on the new driver, there is a setting in there that automatically throttles the card if it gets pushed (i.e., if you run BOINC at all). You can change a setting to put it in high performance mode (somewhere around here there is a post that explains how to do that) which eliminates that throttling.
    3. I'm rocking a 570 right now, and I've noticed that if I push the clocks too high, they drop to stock, and (worse yet) refuse to crunch WUs until I reset the driver or reboot the machine. The stock core/shader clock on mine is 780/1560, and I'm now at 850/1700 stable. When I tried to get to 875/1750, my clocks would drop (and I'm rocking 266.58 as the driver, which doesn't have the throttling problem), even though temps were fine. I suspect that's a voltage issue, but I haven't messed with voltages.

Hope any of that was helpful. If not, I'll give you the phone number of joker's mom AND my mom...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    I just checked my Nvidia rig and it has once again Down clocked. First to 405 then to 51

These are my settings on one card 898 1790 Voltage at 1000, 855 voltage the same 1000. Both cards are identical Asus Engtx460's Was wondering what voltage everyone else has their cards set at. I'm going to go back to 266.77 or 266.58 and hopefully this will stop happening. Any help is appreciated.
    If you are using the 270 drivers they have known issues with BOINC and throttling down.
    I went back to 266.58 and that fixed the problem.

Silver Member

I can bump mine up to 925, but eventually the driver gives up and reverts back to 850. I've not tinkered with the voltage settings. They are very stable at 850, so I just leave them. Running 266 drivers.

Yo-

Past Administrator

@Mike -- up that voltage. The GTX 460 was way under rated from the factory compared to what that chip can handle. They did it to hit a sweet spot in the $ lineup, and not cannibalize sales from higher cards when it was released.
    Go to 1050 mV or even higher if you need. Doesn't matter (within reason) as long as you keep the temps under control. Watch the temps, that is the key!

I notice my GTX 460's will downclock to factory specs over time if the Voltage isn't quite right, or they are getting hammered too hard for the Voltage. You may have to be satisfied with 850MHz if you can't get it any higher stable.

My new MSI GTX 460 is running @ 900 core / 1800 shader / 900 mem, @ 61C in the top slot of the HAF 932, votage is 1050 mV.

The GTX 465 under it in slot 2 is running @ 800 core / 1600 shader / 800 mem, @ 70C, and is beating out the higher clocked GTX 460 by a bit (makes sense because it has more shaders). Logic tells me it can't be, but it also feels like it's producing twice the heat!

EDIT: I got the email for the new BETA 275 drivers today, and I'm giving them a shot. Don't see any throttling issues ... yet.

valyn42

My PNY 460 really doesn't like going above 840 MHz, no matter any other settings. I've had it to 875, but not for very long. Stable at 840 MHz and 1680 shader.

Woopsie.. 266.58 driver
    Last edited by valyn42; 05-17-11 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Driver info

Gold Member

Did I mention flashing the BIOS??

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by valyn42 View Post
    My PNY 460 really doesn't like going above 840 MHz, no matter any other settings. I've had it to 875, but not for very long. Stable at 840 MHz and 1680 shader.
    What voltage did you try on that? Did you also downclock the memory at the same time? This is important as the mem gets really hot if you have it O/Ced too...we don't need high mem clock for crunching, so that's why I drop the mem clock down to the core clock when I O/C mine.
    Just figured I'd throw it out on the off chance...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    Did I mention flashing the BIOS??
    I believe you did...if he flashes it now and doesn't know the stable setting, then he will get a card that bricks after so many minutes running WUs when it stalls out (because the BIOS won't have any lower numbers to default to).

One thought is that sometimes a certain BIOS of a certain brand will O/C better for some reason -- for example, back when a 5870 was a hot card, a lot of guys were flashing their "other brand" cards to the ASUS 5870 BIOS because it O/Ced the best for some reason...therefore, partially validating Joker's suggestion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast