Thread: Upgraded QCN Software (version 5.83)

Diamond Member

Upgraded QCN Software (version 5.83)

New software is on the server which should fix some bugs, false/too many triggers, and enhanced processing of the seismic data files which reduces their size. You should automatically get this new version via BOINC within a day. Also a new feature is in place whereby we can get followup information after a quake (basically a trickle to our server with more information 4-5 seconds after the original trigger). Please report any problems to the 'Message Boards' (and hopefully this won't be the scariest thing you'll see this Halloween)!

More...

Re: Upgraded QCN Software (version 5.83)

The new app version(s) have been found to have a problem with WUs failing due to excessive timing resets.
    http://qcn.stanford.edu/sensor/forum_thread.php?id=519
    Carl is working on it but to this point is clueless as to why this is happening.

On a side note, SG appears to have increased their production again and once more is closing the gap.

The 6.05 app has been out for a couple days and other than having to reset the project on a machine things are finally back to normal on QCN.

If you have a compatible laptop please consider joining us as we could use a little help there.

Past Administrator

If the two I have measure up I will attach but QCN will have to share with POEM.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 11-09-10 at 08:28 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    If the two I have measure up I will attach but QCN will have to share with POEM.
    QCN is NCI, and runs along side any projects you happen to be running. Everyone should be running this project if they have the appropriate hardware. I just happen not to have what I need...

Administrator

I've thought about buying a sensor and getting in on this project but that $49 price tag keeps stopping me.

Do you know how they credit, is it per quake or time running?

Wonder if they have an iPhone APP, I have an accelerometer in there.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Diamond Member

I think it pays 50 credits/day per machine with a sensor.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    I've thought about buying a sensor and getting in on this project but that $49 price tag keeps stopping me.
    I understand where you're coming from. The price is a little steep as IIRC it partially supplements the cost of sensors to K-12 classrooms. K-12 teachers can request up to three sensors for $5, or borrow 15 sensors for 3 weeks and the only cost is for the postage to return them to Stanford. (Any K-12 Teachers on the team?)
    http://qcn.stanford.edu/learning/requests.php#Purchase
    I jumped on board as I like the science of this project and would like to see them succeed.

We did look into acquiring the accelerometer boards direct from the manufacturer and soldering them up to ship out to interested team mates. IIRC once we paid the shipping & fees to get them from Germany and shipping to our members the actual cost savings was not worth our trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    Wonder if they have an iPhone APP, I have an accelerometer in there.
    No iPhone app, the data from such a device would be worthless to the project as the phone would be sending constant triggers with every bump or movement of the device.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I think it pays 50 credits/day per machine with a sensor.
    Correct, 50 cobbles/day/machine.

Administrator

Good information to know, thank you guys.

I will have to work this into my budget, I would really like to participate.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Past Administrator

Well, I gave it a shot although I was fairly sure it would be a bust. Yep, total failure. Hardware not supported.
    Sorry DrBob.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6