Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Options and opinions

Platinum Member

Re: Options and opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    You can - from memory, it's something like <ignore_cuda_dev>X</ignore_cuda_dev>. But don't quote me on that. Check this FAQ item for info on the cc_config.xml file (there is a link there for all the options you can configure).
    But, if the 9500GT is the weakest GPU in the system, and at least 1 other GPU is an Nvidia, the 9500GT will not be made to crunch by BOINC by default.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by valyn42 View Post
    Love all the input, think I'm going to be ordering soon for a Memorial weekend build. Can anyone tell me if BOINC can leave a specific GPU alone? I've got a 9500 GT that I could put in pops rig that should do all his video needs, and have a couple of cards crunching away 24/7?
    Yes, you can do exactly that! In fact, you could put the older card in there, and hook the monitor to it- -BOINC will completely ignore the lesser card. You could even get something insane like a GTX 590 for the second slot and let it crunch away...or stick w/ the GTX 570 if you want to save some cash. I dunno if the 580 is a good option or not...JPM or F$ could tell you that.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    But, if the 9500GT is the weakest GPU in the system, and at least 1 other GPU is an Nvidia, the 9500GT will not be made to crunch by BOINC by default.
    True - but I don't like relying on BOINC's defaults, as they often change without warning...

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Personal recommendations.

Looking at benchmarks Intel's 2600K cremes every other processor except for a few high end 1366 socket ones. These are running mid $200s.
    This is true. But an overclocked 2600K beats an overclocked anything 1366.
    CORSAIR PSUs. Understand the diff between, Plus, Bronze, Silver and Gold, before you make a choice. Modular is nice if you can afford the price difference.
    Don't forget the Platinums

GSkill memory is my favorite. Every stick I have works perfect and customer service is outstanding.
    I am currently using GSkill myself. It is the first time i ever have and i'm impressed. I'd be just as happy with Kingston though.

SSD Crucial makes SATA III drives and when I got mine they were the only one making SATA III drives. Min size should be 128. I got only 32 GB left on my SSD. It boots real fast.
    OCZ makes the best SSDs now since they switched controller chips awhile back.

Secondary Hardrives. RAID 5. I have 5 500GB Western digitals. The throughput beats my SSD. Small drive in a RAID 5 or 10 are the way to go. Now why an SSD? Seek times on an SSD are between 100 and 1000 times faster than disk.
    Go go Western Digital! Over the past few days, i've noticed quite a few of us use this brand. Can't beat it.

CPU Cooling. Don't get oversold on water cooling. My Zalman CPU coolers performed the same temps as my water cooling of the same CPU.
    This is true when talking about the all-in-one kits such as the Corsair H60. But there's no comparison when it comes to a real water cooling setup.

And those are my opinions (and some facts) of your opinions!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I dunno if the 580 is a good option or not...JPM or F$ could tell you that.
    What in the world could possibly be wrong with a 580? Get one for each PCIe slot!

Diamond Member

Done the first part. Can I connect a GPU for a while with no cooler or aditional Power or is that to risky. Should I wait or can I try the Gpus for a while.

Duke

Gold Member

Done the first part. Can I connect a GPU for a while with no cooler or aditional Power or is that to risky. Should I wait or can I try the Gpus for a while.
    I could be wrong here but if you are looking to get a 580, you probably need to get your PSU first.

Diamond Member

Thanks.

Past Administrator

What in the world could possibly be wrong with a 580? Get one for each PCIe slot!
    Nothing, LOL! I was referring to credits / dollar -- I don't know if the 580 stacks up well to the cost of a single 590 or two 570's or...

Silver Member

This is true. But an overclocked 2600K beats an overclocked anything 1366.
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/overclocked_cpus.html
    Depends on the stats you look at. Unlocked Multipliers are the easiest for over clocking Intel chips. Like I said elsewhere, the benchmarks remind me of ATI and Nvidia comparisons. I guess it depends on what coolaid is being served.

OCZ makes the best SSDs now since they switched controller chips awhile back.
    I read a few dissatisfied customers of OCZ. Also, are they SATA III? And lastly, my other OCZ products have burnt up. Two PSUs in the last year.

This is true when talking about the all-in-one kits such as the Corsair H60. But there's no comparison when it comes to a real water cooling setup.
    Mine was a Thermaltake armor with water. I want freon or liquid nitrogen :-)

More opinions and facts of mine.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast