Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Options and opinions

Diamond Member

Re: Options and opinions

Did the world finnished already?

Duke

One more day passes with no strong emotions.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/overclocked_cpus.html
    Depends on the stats you look at. Unlocked Multipliers are the easiest for over clocking Intel chips. Like I said elsewhere, the benchmarks remind me of ATI and Nvidia comparisons. I guess it depends on what coolaid is being served.
    Very true. But i noticed the avg. OC of the 2600k is 400-500 MHZ lower than what most people were able to achieve. But then the 980X/990X may have been low too. Who knows?

I read a few dissatisfied customers of OCZ. Also, are they SATA III? And lastly, my other OCZ products have burnt up. Two PSUs in the last year.
    Yes, they are SATA 3. And as i said, since they switched contollers, OCZ can't be beat. For SSDs. Nothing else they make is very good. SSDs are their forte. I'd never own an OCZ PSU. It's kinda like Sony. They make great TVs, but horrible speakers/amps/radios etc.

Mine was a Thermaltake armor with water. I want freon or liquid nitrogen :-)
    Hmmmm....here you go

EDIT: OCZ Vertex 3 SSD. The only people who gave it bad customer reviews were people plugging it into SATA2 and expecting SATA3 speeds (durrrr), and a guy switching from WD Caviar Blacks in RAID to a single SSD and expecting some miracle. Caviar Blacks in RAID are difficult to surpass with a SSD, as i'm sure you know Anyway, Newegg has 7 different OCZ SSD SATA 3's. The Agility series just came out earlier this week so not many reviews there yet.
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 05-20-11 at 12:31 PM.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Very true. But i noticed the avg. OC of the 2600k is 400-500 MHZ lower than what most people were able to achieve. But then the 980X/990X may have been low too. Who knows?
    The comparisons get to silliness when it comes to OC the 980x. I've seen people report 5 and 6 GHz OC for the 980x. I think the 2600k is an exceptional performer, but I'm waiting for the chips that go into the 2011 socket. So for now I just upgraded my 950 to a 980x.

Yes, they are SATA 3. And as i said, since they switched contollers, OCZ can't be beat. For SSDs. Nothing else they make is very good. SSDs are their forte. I'd never own an OCZ PSU. It's kinda like Sony. They make great TVs, but horrible speakers/amps/radios etc.

Hmmmm....here you go

EDIT: OCZ Vertex 3 SSD. The only people who gave it bad customer reviews were people plugging it into SATA2 and expecting SATA3 speeds (durrrr), and a guy switching from WD Caviar Blacks in RAID to a single SSD and expecting some miracle. Caviar Blacks in RAID are difficult to surpass with a SSD, as i'm sure you know Anyway, Newegg has 7 different OCZ SSD SATA 3's. The Agility series just came out earlier this week so not many reviews there yet.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm moving my OSs to SSDs. I've put one on a Crucial and will try my other box on this, but if I have to keep RMAing it, I'm blaming you

Dan

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm moving my OSs to SSDs. I've put one on a Crucial and will try my other box on this, but if I have to keep RMAing it, I'm blaming you

Dan
    Hehe. Blame away.

As for waiting for socket 2011, i don't blame you.

valyn42

Supposed to close on the house in one hour.. hope everything goes smooth

If it goes well, here starts the list..

case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119160

PSU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153136

Mobo - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157229

Mem - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231461

CPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115072

SSD - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820227726

And going to use my old 9500 GT as his main video card and throw this in there to judge heat and noise levels. If all acceptable I'll have a third slot on that board to throw my GTX 460.

GPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130626

Leaving to close now, please add any suggestions or opinions!

Platinum Member

1 suggestion on the RAM. Your mobo has 4 slots. With only 2 sticks, your bandwidth will be cut in half, using only 1 channel instead of 2. Having multiple memory channels active works similar to the way RAID works for hard drives. Doesn't matter if you're using a large percentage of your memory or not, it can read from/write to both channels at the same time instead of just 1, greatly increasing system responsiveness.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by valyn42 View Post
    Supposed to close on the house in one hour.. hope everything goes smooth

If it goes well, here starts the list..

And going to use my old 9500 GT as his main video card and throw this in there to judge heat and noise levels. If all acceptable I'll have a third slot on that board to throw my GTX 460.

GPU - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130626

Leaving to close now, please add any suggestions or opinions!
    Congrats on the house! Exciting time, I hope you get on with it well.
    List is looking nice. I really like that mobo for the 3rd GPU option...however, you might want to go with the case I linked you to instead, so then you have 8 slots in the back if you want to ever use that 3rd PCI-e slot. You won't be able to do it that well with the HAF-932.

Also, I'm not quite clear - do you already own the 460x2 GPU card? Or were you going to buy one now? It's not worth the extra $ at this point over a GTX 570 -- if you already own it from before, that's totally awesome. If you were going to be buying a new GPU, I would get a GTX 570 instead.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    1 suggestion on the RAM. Your mobo has 4 slots. With only 2 sticks, your bandwidth will be cut in half, using only 1 channel instead of 2. Having multiple memory channels active works similar to the way RAID works for hard drives. Doesn't matter if you're using a large percentage of your memory or not, it can read from/write to both channels at the same time instead of just 1, greatly increasing system responsiveness.
    hmmmm. I need to ask....... Are you sure?

From the User Manual for my GA-P55-UD6:
    Quote Originally Posted by GigaByte
    Due to CPU limitations, read the following guidelines before installing the memory in Dual Channel mode.
    1. Dual Channel mode cannot be enabled if only one DDR3 memory module is installed.
    2. When enabling Dual Channel mode, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed for optimum performance.

When enabling Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_4 sockets. When enabling Dual Channel mode with six memory modules, make sure that memory modules to be installed on the DDR3_3, DDR3_2, DDR3_6, DDR3_5 sockets are all single-sided.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Dual channel RAM anymore usually does not require more than 2 sticks...each one can run on one channel. At least, that is the way my AM3 mobo works.

I would definitely go with (2x) 4GB sticks. This allows you to upgrade to 16GB in the future when it's cheaper and you need it!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    hmmmm. I need to ask....... Are you sure?

From the User Manual for my GA-P55-UD6:
    lol well yeah there's that dual channel - single bank is still a tad slower though. guess i just do things differently out of habit. to me, empty slots means you're not done yet!

you could always pull out half your RAM and do a memory benchmark to see just what the effect is, though if you're at least running dual channel, it won't be that noticeable. i just hate empty slots :/

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast