So I've been looking over this project for a few months it seams now. I have come up with a way to get credit for aprox 1/2 of the list price. I wanted to pass this along to anyone that is thinking about crunching it.

I ordered the dongle from this place http://www.saelig.com/MFR00093/IC2007.htm

Then I took one of the 50 or USB cables I had leftover from an old printer cut off the end and soldered it onto the board. Took me about 5m to get it all figured it and done.

The shipping I thought was high. I ordered 4 chips and shipping was like 12 bucks. Was well packed in an oversize box wrapped in bubble wrap.

They also aren't in a cool little box that says QCN. Mine right now is just in the static bag. they are 1x1.25 I think I will find a small pill box and put a washer in the bottom so it doesn't get bumped around so easy. They weigh nothing.

I'm pretty sure so if you wanted you could solder a male plug onto it and use it that way. but I would have to say it probably wouldn't work correctly if you didn't have a usb plug parallel with the floor.

I got the first one done just to make sure it would work, you know for those days when It would be imposable not to work but it just don't

Chip $27.75
USB cord Free If you somehow don't have one they are less then a buck on ebay.
Pill box $1
Shipping will be at least $11

Cost of home built $29.75
Cost to buy kit $42.25
Cost to buy assembled $49

It won't be the best point to dollar ratio but Its fun to try and win them all. This is a project we are slipping away on. Team FB is going to try and even it out. Wouldn't be hard with some help from the MM.