Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Sic is backing off...

Diamond Member

Re: Looks like Sic is backing off...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Where would I change the settings in Boinc to N-1? Do I need to create an xml file? Would that apply to all my boinc programs? Lastly, would you have a ready made example i could copy and paste?

Thanks.
    N = the number of cores (not threads!) you have. So on a quad core, that works out to 4-1=3. So go into BOINCmgr, Advanced -> Preferences. At the bottom of the first tab, change it to 75% of the processors. On an 8 core machine, like a dual quad core xeon, set it to 87.5%.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    N = the number of cores (not threads!) you have. So on a quad core, that works out to 4-1=3. So go into BOINCmgr, Advanced -> Preferences. At the bottom of the first tab, change it to 75% of the processors. On an 8 core machine, like a dual quad core xeon, set it to 87.5%.
    Ahh, got it. Done. On my Sandybridge 2600k with ht, I have it set to use 7 cores for more free Hal. but could adjust it if need be.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Ahh, got it. Done. On my Sandybridge 2600k with ht, I have it set to use 7 cores for more free Hal. but could adjust it if need be.
    Check your GPU and CPU usage (GPU-Z and CPU-Z), with 7 threads vs 6 threads. Keep reducing threads until there is some idle CPU space, and then crank it back up one. Make sure your GPU load is maxed.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Check your GPU and CPU usage (GPU-Z and CPU-Z), with 7 threads vs 6 threads. Keep reducing threads until there is some idle CPU space, and then crank it back up one. Make sure your GPU load is maxed.
    Or a slightly different tactic - I know you're familiar with Afterburner... I'm currently using that to monitor temps and load. Not using it for overclocking, but I like being able to see all graphs at once...

But yeah. Once I left a core for Moo, load on the GPUs shot up to 97%+ on all of them...

Administrator

On an I7 (even a Sandy Bridge) you may need to leave a full CORE not thread if you are running dual 5870s. On my machine with a 5970 and GTX 570 it takes 26% of the processor. A FULL CORE so even with a V8 you need to set use 75% of processors.

As Maxwell says, the object is for the GPU to be at 97% load full time ... anything less and you are losing credits that the CPU crunching can't touch!

I actually do it another way. Install the program ProLasso (Process Lasso) and using that you can set priority and affinity for all processes. I setup threads 6 and 7 for the Moo GPU programs (dnetcxxxxxx) and set the priority to HIGH. Then for any CPU tasks I set them for threads 0-6 with normal priority. On the 5970/GTX 570 I do the above but I set the primegrid wu to threads 0-6 with HIGH priority.

The benefit to totally isolating the GPU core is that the GPU doesn't have to interrupt a lower priority CPU task to get serviced. Even this minor delay causes a loss of GPU processing.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    On an I7 (even a Sandy Bridge) you may need to leave a full CORE not thread if you are running dual 5870s. On my machine with a 5970 and GTX 570 it takes 26% of the processor. A FULL CORE so even with a V8 you need to set use 75% of processors.

As Maxwell says, the object is for the GPU to be at 97% load full time ... anything less and you are losing credits that the CPU crunching can't touch!

I actually do it another way. Install the program ProLasso (Process Lasso) and using that you can set priority and affinity for all processes. I setup threads 6 and 7 for the Moo GPU programs (dnetcxxxxxx) and set the priority to HIGH. Then for any CPU tasks I set them for threads 0-6 with normal priority. On the 5970/GTX 570 I do the above but I set the primegrid wu to threads 0-6 with HIGH priority.

The benefit to totally isolating the GPU core is that the GPU doesn't have to interrupt a lower priority CPU task to get serviced. Even this minor delay causes a loss of GPU processing.
    Yeah. Me too. I do what Bryan does. With the exception that I have an AMD box, do 1 core = 1 thread for me...

Administrator

Just to let everyone on the Moo team know that it isn't a lack of interest that I haven't posted on the OTHER Moo thread. I can read anything in the team area but I can't post ... so I'm all ears!

No Joker this isn't the time to take advantage ... remember I get even!

Gold Member

No Joker this isn't the time to take advantage ... remember I get even!
    So.......I CANT grab your ears???

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    So.......I CANT grab your ears???
    No, and I don't have a flat head either so you have to hold your beer

Gold Member

No, and I don't have a flat head either so you have to hold your beer
    Life just sucks more every day!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast