Quote Originally Posted by YoDude9999 View Post
Hmm....This could lead to some interesting possibilities.

Linux > Wine > Windows Apps

From the VBox documentation, it looks as though one could create a cost free running environment for most any computer.
DOS > VBox > Any current OS

The thing is, I don't know Linux at all, in fact I don't believe I've ever even see it running.
I have a few hours experience with Ubuntu which was very easy to get the swing of, but because it wouldn't run WinApps directly,
I wasn't able to use it for the applications I needed it to run. This has mainly to do with work related application that have to run code written in VB6 and VB2010.

I will keep all of this in mind, but because I don't want to bring down any of my boxes to do experimentation on, I suppose it'll have to wait for another build so I can start from scratch and see how things go. I'd be a little concerned about performance, or the loss of, but if this proved to be minimal, then I'd consider switching all my boxes over to avoid Windows completely as I really don't care for their, "activation", cost and more importantly, the direction they are going with every new release.
OK, just to be clear, VirtualBox runs on top of Windows/Linux/MacOS/Solaris "Host" machines. It is not a MS DOS app if that is the DOS you were referring to. One caveat I forgot to mention. If you wish to create a 64bit "Guest" then the Host OS must be 64bit. But you can run 32bit Guests on a 64bit Host. And in another thread JPM or JerWA mentioned a utility for resetting Windows Vista/7 trial period indefinitely. Also, Wine is not a perfect emulator. Some WinApps refuse to run under Wine. I am not sure about VB6 or VB2010.

All in all, VirtualBox is a great idea and from my limited experience with VMware, is much much easier to setup and run. And Free never hurts

Oh BTW, since you have used Ubuntu, you have used Linux. Ubuntu is just another variant or distro of Linux. Other distros include CentOS, Gentoo, Red Hat, Mint, SuSe, etc...