Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuesday, November 2nd...

Administrator

Tuesday, November 2nd...

You know what that means people. Get out there and VOTE!
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Re: Tuesday, November 2nd...

Done! I don't think I have missed a single vote since I turned 18

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    You know what that means people. Get out there and VOTE!
    And make sure you have researched the candidates before you head to the polls! IMHO An uneducated vote is almost as bad and perhaps in some cases worse than no vote at all. We are the government and allow certain individuals to represent us for a short period of time, make sure the person you send to office does in fact represent you, your Republic, and local governments in a manner consistent with your beliefs and in accordance with our Republic's Constitution and the Constitution of your respective State.

Diamond Member

Right. You can't tell what you agree with, if you are only going by the names, short descriptions of the propositions and, or candidates party affiliation. Do everyone a favor and just stay home.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    ...Do everyone a favor and just stay home.
    No!
    As I said above WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT. In order for our Republic to survive “We the people” MUST do our part and the greatest power we have as citizens is our vote. It’s said “With great power comes great responsibility”, your “power” as a legal citizen of our great Republic is your vote, your “responsibility” is to be informed about the candidate you vote for and just as importantly the basics of how our government is supposed to function.

Read! Gather all the information you can, from as many sources as you can and make an educated decision on which candidate will best represent you and your values in office. Don’t rely on others to tell you who will best serve.

Read our Republics founding documents and the biographies of our “Founding Fathers”, much of their correspondence and notes from the period of this countries founding and authoring of its founding documents still survive. Their thoughts and concerns of the time are eerily valid in contemporary times.

Every legal citizens vote counts, every singe vote. Just look back at the last Senatorial election here in MN and my hunch is many of the elections nationwide tonight. Once the lawyers crawl out of the woodwork they will scrape and scrounge to get every vote they can counted for their client(s) in these close elections.

It’s not too late to do some basic research and still get to the polls before they close (for most of us). Some knowledge is better than no knowledge at all.

YOU ARE THE GOVERNMENT, YOU HAVE THE POWER…

…GET OUT AND VOTE!

Diamond Member

You are saying get educated on the propositions and candidates, and then vote. I am saying if you aren't educated on the propositions and candidates, then don't vote. Those aren't mutually exclusive.

You said it yourself, "An uneducated vote is almost as bad and perhaps in some cases worse than no vote at all." I agree, except to say it is always worse.
    Last edited by zombie67; 11-02-10 at 08:19 PM.

I will concede your point.

However I did say in closing…
    It’s not too late to do some basic research and still get to the polls before they close (for most of us). Some knowledge is better than no knowledge at all.
    This will not give anyone a comprehensive understanding of their candidates’ position and one certainly would not have time to research all contests or local referendums but they would probably be more educated than a great number of voters that showed up at the polls today
    I guess my heartburn was I personally could not tell someone to stay away from the polls as they have the right to submit their ballot regardless of how flawed there selections may be.

On the bright side there is plenty of time for everyone to research before the 2012 election.

Diamond Member

Fair enough. But to be clear, I was not denying anyone their right to vote. I was asking them to voluntarily do the right thing and not vote, if they weren't up to speed.

Administrator

On a side note... I was reading that there are many areas of the Constitution that deal with ways that people cannot be denied the right to vote; however, the Constitution doesn't specifically ensure your right to vote.

In addition although the 26th Amendment states:

"The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age."

This Amendment doesn't restrict someone younger than 18 from voting; apparently the States have the ability to allow someone under 18 years of age to vote if they choose.

I don't know how any of this would hold up under scrutiny of the Supreme Court but I did find the concept itself interesting.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Platinum Member

Voted, but the state of Maryland let me down again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast