Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Credit recalibration at PG

Silver Member

Re: Credit recalibration at PG

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    The problem is as they state in this announcement that credit/wu will decrease BUT crunch time/wu will not. Sounds like a cave-in to "DA" and his Demigod mindset.[/Opinion]
    What totally PI$$ES me off, is that, "supposedly" the projects can dish out whatever credit they want to. This was proven with Moo in the beginning of their project. They doled out very high credits in the beginning of the project and then made adjustments to it later as time progressed. Now, they are pretty much inline with Dnet as far as credit is concerned and because the projects are very similar, this make complete sense to me. Okay, that's all fine and dandy.

The thing is, PG sounds as though they are making this adjustment based on PPS Sieve WUs being converted to a different type of WU, or mathematical algorithm. Why didn't they convert (raise) the credit of the "other" calculations to match the credits given by the PPS Sieve project instead of reducing the credits to match something that gives less?

Every time we see credit, "adjustments", it's ALWAYS to a lower value then before and never an increase. Why is that? I believe F$ has made a correct statement, a "cave-in to DA"........grrrrrrrr [/Additional_Opinion]
    Yo-

Cruncher Pete

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    The only way to protest is with your feet as the saying goes, or GPU in this case. I'm gone after my 100M and may not participate in the challenges.
    I agree completely with that statement. It is against my principal to support a project that before its cycle is finished decide to half their credit. I also suspect that they are pressured by DA of Bercley fame to reduce credit because they are so high. If that is the case, than why are they doing it mid stream, giving players who are chasing those ahead of them an unfair advantage. What some fail to see is that those ahead of you got there with credits that were twice as much as it is now (or will be), although now we are also on equal field, it will take us twice as long (in time) to make up that difference. In any case, you will not see me supporting them with cash donations or participation in their challenges. It costs me heaps to maintain this hobby of mine and I will do it according to my terms and will support those teams that are at least fair even though at a lower credit.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher Pete View Post
    I agree completely with that statement. It is against my principal to support a project that before its cycle is finished decide to half their credit. I also suspect that they are pressured by DA of Bercley fame to reduce credit because they are so high. If that is the case, than why are they doing it mid stream, giving players who are chasing those ahead of them an unfair advantage. What some fail to see is that those ahead of you got there with credits that were twice as much as it is now (or will be), although now we are also on equal field, it will take us twice as long (in time) to make up that difference. In any case, you will not see me supporting them with cash donations or participation in their challenges. It costs me heaps to maintain this hobby of mine and I will do it according to my terms and will support those teams that are at least fair even though at a lower credit.
    Agreed. Let's assume for a minute (I did not), but let's just assume that I won the lottery last night, and now it is my goal to catch Steve* and become the #1 Overall BOINC producer. It would now, in theory, take me twice as long to crunch the # of credits Steve* crunched, and therefore severely hamper my ability to catch him.
    Now, I have nowhere near the cash or even desire to do something like that. . .so it's a theoretical argument for me. But I am SURE there IS someone out there, that this is NOT a theoretical argument for. There is a lot of money and resources out there, and someone has them...and that someone who may be a new cruncher, might want to become #1 Overall...this is a severe handicap being dished out now.

On that note, I am getting every PG credit I can right now - CPU and GPU both while the getting is good. What day do I need switch???

Administrator

I would STRONGLY suggest NOT participating in the PG Challenges. The only thing the admins will understand is diminished production on the project. In reality, I don't think many will actually pull off because even at 1/2 credit there is nowhere to park your Cuda that pays more.

I will pull off at 250M which was my goal anyway. Two weeks ago I pulled 1 card off to run GPUGrid and even with 3 it should have taken me 30 days to get there. A week later they start dropping credits so I put the card back on ... still gonna take 30 more days. Now here we are almost a week later and the new wu take 10% longer ... so still need 30 more days. That is gonna be the longest 30 days of my life

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    [...]In reality, I don't think many will actually pull off because even at 1/2 credit there is nowhere to park your Cuda that pays more.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I will pull off at 250M which was my goal anyway.
    Ditto. (Anyone else old enough to know where the term (and that addictive smell) comes from?)
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Yep.

Ditto. (Anyone else old enough to know where the term (and that addictive smell) comes from?)
    Yep, used to help a few of the teachers at school 6th ~ 8th grade because the smell didn't bother me. I like the smell of gasoline too, Go figure.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

The best time to dump would be all at once, but with all our individual goals, I'm sure it will be a gradual loss of support, so they won't even notice. I figure my 100 mil won't be reached for 2 months.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    The best time to dump would be all at once, but with all our individual goals, I'm sure it will be a gradual loss of support, so they won't even notice. I figure my 100 mil won't be reached for 2 months.
    Well, I have a couple 4870's coming and I'm nowhere near my next milestone, so I may be stopping real soon.
    6r39 7r199

Gold Member

My goal has been 100 million in PG. I should hit it within a month barring any GPU or computer problems, then I am going to put everything back on Medical scientific projects again. I went with PG just to be able to say that I got 100,000,000.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Past Administrator

Hmmm...well, I'm at 111Mil today; looks like I'm down to 1.2Mil PG credits per day now. Is there a 150Mil milestone, or does it jump from 100Mil to 200Mil? I suppose I'll probably be on it until they really drop the credits at least - just trying to get every bit in that I can for the team now. The more we can gain on LAF in overall points, the better in my book.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast