Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moo Runtimes

Platinum Member

Re: Moo Runtimes

Must be. I have 2 machines that are getting about 80,000/day. My son's machine with the 5870 has an RAC of 225,000. Not that I mind, but would like to have the rest of them putting up that much.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Administrator

Jed there has to be something else wrong. The 58XX will always be issued the HUGE wu that pay 6k. Even if it was issuing smaller wu your credits wouldn't drop that much because you would complete them much faster.

What you want to check is the GPU loading on your card. If you reserve a thread for the GPU the loading should stay between 95-98%. If you are running 100% CPU crunching and Moo then you will take a major hit on the GPU output. A 5870 running at 950 MHz will produce somewhere around 380k per day on Moo. At 850 MHz it does something like 350k ... I can't give you the exact figures anymore because I'm also running the cudas on Moo.

What I do is use the program "ProLasso" to reserve a thread for Moo (affinity 7 on an I7) and set the priority to HIGH. Then for the Nvidia I set it to run on threads 0-6 also at HIGH priority. On the CPU tasks I drop the "use CPU %" to 90 which then only schedule 7 CPU tasks. Using ProLasso I set the priority to "Above Normal" and the affinity to 0-6. Doing this clears a thread that is only used by Moo.

On the machines with 5970s I have to reserve 2 threads (1 full core) to Moo. Running the 5970 or 2 5870s Moo will use 25% of the processor by itself. If you don't reserve this then you will take a major hit on GPU output.

Diamond Member

Also, be sure test out the various "Cores" to see which is best for your GPU. Don't let it auto-select which core it thinks is best. That failed for most of my machines. Once you find out which one is best, you set it using your project preferences page. Setting it on your machine at the command line works for only that one task, and then it will get reset to your project pref setting (default is -1). If you have different GPUs in different machines, then set up multiple "locations" in your project preferences, and then associate each machine accordingly.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Wow, there is a lot more to setting up this project than I realized. On the 5870, I was getting over 300K / day, and then all of a sudden it dropped to like 50K. The last two days it was just over 100K. So, either Primaboinca is taking all the CPU resources (I don’t have any cores reserved), or maybe the core setting got off somehow? The weird thing is that I was getting the good credits for a long time, and then all of a sudden it just went way down. I can't think of anything that was changed. CPU is PhenomII x6 1100t and there is also a GTX 460 in there crunching Primegrid at the same time the 5870 is crunching Moo! - maybe something got into conflict?

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Wow, there is a lot more to setting up this project than I realized. On the 5870, I was getting over 300K / day, and then all of a sudden it dropped to like 50K. The last two days it was just over 100K. So, either Primaboinca is taking all the CPU resources (I don’t have any cores reserved), or maybe the core setting got off somehow? The weird thing is that I was getting the good credits for a long time, and then all of a sudden it just went way down. I can't think of anything that was changed. CPU is PhenomII x6 1100t and there is also a GTX 460 in there crunching Primegrid at the same time the 5870 is crunching Moo! - maybe something got into conflict?
    Oh yeah. A couple more things:

1) With faster cards (58xx+), you may want to reserve threads. With my dual 5870 (remember it runs a single task across all GPUs), I had to reserve a full two threads on my 1st gen i7). No difference with my Core 2 machines and a 4870, if I reserved a thread (in this case that is a whole core) or not.

2) Like I said, if you don't define which "core" you use, the app decides for you. It it not always constant. It seems to change randomly. That could account for your changes in credits.

And to be extra clear, when Moo/DNETC talks about "core", they are not talking about CPU cores. They are talking about which sub-app to use for crunching a particular task.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    And to be extra clear, when Moo/DNETC talks about "core", they are not talking about CPU cores. They are talking about which sub-app to use for crunching a particular task.
    Ah Ha!! You are the first person That I recall making that statement. So thanks! That clears things right up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Jed there has to be something else wrong. The 58XX will always be issued the HUGE wu that pay 6k. Even if it was issuing smaller wu your credits wouldn't drop that much because you would complete them much faster.

What you want to check is the GPU loading on your card. If you reserve a thread for the GPU the loading should stay between 95-98%. If you are running 100% CPU crunching and Moo then you will take a major hit on the GPU output. A 5870 running at 950 MHz will produce somewhere around 380k per day on Moo. At 850 MHz it does something like 350k ... I can't give you the exact figures anymore because I'm also running the cudas on Moo.

What I do is use the program "ProLasso" to reserve a thread for Moo (affinity 7 on an I7) and set the priority to HIGH. Then for the Nvidia I set it to run on threads 0-6 also at HIGH priority. On the CPU tasks I drop the "use CPU %" to 90 which then only schedule 7 CPU tasks. Using ProLasso I set the priority to "Above Normal" and the affinity to 0-6. Doing this clears a thread that is only used by Moo.

On the machines with 5970s I have to reserve 2 threads (1 full core) to Moo. Running the 5970 or 2 5870s Moo will use 25% of the processor by itself. If you don't reserve this then you will take a major hit on GPU output.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I know you and Maxwell have discussed ProLasso before but I've been hesitant to use it on my desktop. Already have a ton of crap, err processes, running in the background. Maybe in the near future.....

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

So, I just put a 6970 in my i7 920 rig. I'm running both Moo and dnetc as well as wcg on all 8 threads. Can someone tell me if my stats look ok?

http://moowrap.net/results.php?hosti...state=3&appid=

http://dnetc.net/results.php?hostid=20642

Also, if I free up 1 thread, by setting boinc manager to use only 87.5% of the processors and find the best "core" to use by running the moo app with the -bench flag, how do I know if Moo will use the correct(free) thread? Does boinc know that the 1 free thread is to be used by moo and that it should be the core that I selected based on the -bench test? Am I making sense?

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    So, I just put a 6970 in my i7 920 rig. I'm running both Moo and dnetc as well as wcg on all 8 threads. Can someone tell me if my stats look ok?

http://moowrap.net/results.php?hosti...state=3&appid=

http://dnetc.net/results.php?hostid=20642

Also, if I free up 1 thread, by setting boinc manager to use only 87.5% of the processors and find the best "core" to use by running the moo app with the -bench flag, how do I know if Moo will use the correct(free) thread? Does boinc know that the 1 free thread is to be used by moo and that it should be the core that I selected based on the -bench test? Am I making sense?
    Your run times seem good but as I do not have a 6970 I cannot say for sure. Also you didn't mention if you are OC'ing the card. BTW, if you haven't already you should install MSI's Afterburner (AB) utility. Even if you do not OC, AB is the best way to control fan speed and monitor GPU temp and load. You can configure AB to display temp, Core speed and load readings in the Windows System Tray.

Note: In my experience with AB, version 2.0.0 works best for OC when unlocked but has a minor bug that does not correctly display GPU Core speed in system tray. This bug is corrected in version 2.1.0 but the procedure for unlocking AB does not work properly for me.

For controlling GPU load Bryan & Maxwell are fond of a utility called Process Lasso (Link). take a look at the posts linked below.

http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...ll=1#post16610

http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...ll=1#post17602

http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...ll=1#post13025

Edit:
    Afterburner 2.0.0 ---> http://www.mediafire.com/?qhptap1gxcarqpk
    Afterburner 2.1.0 ---> http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 09-04-11 at 05:26 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Wonderful! Thanks for the info Fire$torm

You also answered a question I had about tools to use for AMD cards, since I've always used nvidia in the last 5 years. I had thought AB was for nvidia, good to hear I can use it.

Past Administrator

You are welcome.

One thing I did not expound on, unlocking Afterburner. Unlocking refers to a setting that allows AB to OC a GPU past ATI/AMD/nVidia reference specs. Most say the OC limit imposed is due to concerns over warranty of the product.
    Anyhow, if you are interested in unlocking Afterburner then....

For Afterburner 2.0.0 see the Overclock.net How-To (Link).

For Afterburner 2.1.0 see the Guru3D How-To (Link) and OCXtreme (Link).
    If you have File Permission Issues with AB files refer to this link ---> http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=4

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast