Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ati 4870 failing immediately

Administrator

Re: ati 4870 failing immediately

I think that is the answer CB! I was crunching MW back then and I always run an app_info on that project. I never did see the problem myself but now remember that a lot of others were having trouble.

Administrator

Thanks for the suggestions. I read the MW thread, I tried the app_info file with and without the optimized app. No luck. Still aborts, finishes and gives a computational error. Works file on Collatz, PG Fails immediately too.

Al

Administrator

Well Al of course the smart a$$ answer is to run Collatz.

What CAT driver are you running? I know that 10.10, 10.12, 11.3, and 11.5 work on my 5870s. Also OS and BOINC version?

Past Administrator

Well, I don't have a 4870 but I do have three 4850s.

For the two systems with the 4850s installed I use Cat 10.10. One system is XP Pro x64 box and the other is running Win7 Ultimate x64. I had to many issues with the later versions of Catalyst and could never figure out why.

If you want to give Cat. 10.10 a shot, try the procedure below.

This procedure will require the following programs...

Driver Sweeper: Version 2.1 can be DL'd here. Version 3.1 can be DL'd here.

Note: It is reported that the versions in-between have spyware. Also I have read one report on download.com that version 3.1 also has spyware but Softpedia.com says it is spyware free.

Catalyst 10.10: For Windows XP 32 bit --- For Windows XP 64 bit

CCleaner: The latest version can be DL'd here.

Procedure:
    1) While BOINC Manager (BM) is running, set MW to No New Work.

2) Abort any MW wu's you may have and then Reset MW.

3) Next, from the BM Main Menu click Advanced > Options and in the popup window click the General Tab and uncheck Run Manager at Login?, then click the OK button.

4) Shutdown BM.

5) Uninstall your current ATI/AMD Catalyst Suite. When the uninstaller is finished it will say a reboot is required, click yes/OK.
    *For XP: Click the Windows Start Button > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs and double-click the ATI Catalyst Install Manger to begin the uninstall process.

6) After reboot install Driver Sweeper and CCleaner.

7) Start Driver Sweeper. In the Main Window select AMD display which should be the first item on the list and click the Clean button in the bottom right hand corner of the app window. If when finished the program requests a reboot, click yes.

8) After reboot right-click your desktop Recycle Bin icon and select Open CCleaner. In the left most column of the main window click the Registry icon and select all the check-boxes in the adjacent column to the right. Next click the Scan for Issues button (Bottom Left). After scan is complete click the Fix Selected Issues button (Bottom Right). In the pop-up window that appears click yes to backup registry changes and save the backup (Do not forget where you save it). On the next pop-up window that appears click the Fix All Selected Issues button.

9) Next, back in the left column of the main window, click the Cleaner icon and in the adjacent column to the right put a check in the boxes for the items you wish to be cleaned. (If you are unsure what effect cleaning any particular item in the list will have on your system, please leave it un-checked). Now click the Analyze button (Lower left) and preview the list that is displayed in the main window. Make sure there is nothing in the list that you need and then click the Clean button (Lower Right). When complete close CCleaner.

10) Now install the Catalyst 10.10 driver (Or whichever version you prefer). The installer should request that your system be rebooted when it is finished. Click yes.

11) After reboot start BOINC manager and test the project you had trouble with. After testing is complete and all is well, undo the changes made in step #3.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

I've tried the card in both a win7 64 and an xp pro 32 with the same results. I'm using the newest drivers. I'm working today but I'll give the older drivers a test this evening and let you know what happens.
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    Al

Administrator

Here's one of the messages:

<core_client_version>6.10.60</core_client_version>
    <![CDATA[
    <message>
    Incorrect function. (0x1) - exit code 1 (0x1)
    </message>
    <stderr_txt>
    Error loading Lua script 'astronomy_parameters.txt': [string "number_parameters: 4..."]:1: '<name>' expected near '4'
    Error reading astronomy parameters from file 'astronomy_parameters.txt'
    Trying old parameters file
    Using SSE2 path
    Failed to get CAL device attributes: Parameter passed in is invalid (CAL_RESULT_INVALID_PARAMETER)
    Error getting device information: Parameter passed in is invalid (CAL_RESULT_INVALID_PARAMETER)
    Failed to get CAL info: Parameter passed in is invalid (CAL_RESULT_INVALID_PARAMETER)
    Failed to setup CAL
    10:10:53 (3296): called boinc_finish

</stderr_txt>
    ]]>

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    Here's one of the messages:

<core_client_version>6.10.60</core_client_version>
    <![CDATA[
    <message>
    Incorrect function. (0x1) - exit code 1 (0x1)
    </message>
    <stderr_txt>
    Error loading Lua script 'astronomy_parameters.txt': [string "number_parameters: 4..."]:1: '<name>' expected near '4'
    Error reading astronomy parameters from file 'astronomy_parameters.txt'
    Trying old parameters file
    Using SSE2 path
    Failed to get CAL device attributes: Parameter passed in is invalid (CAL_RESULT_INVALID_PARAMETER)
    Error getting device information: Parameter passed in is invalid (CAL_RESULT_INVALID_PARAMETER)
    Failed to get CAL info: Parameter passed in is invalid (CAL_RESULT_INVALID_PARAMETER)
    Failed to setup CAL
    10:10:53 (3296): called boinc_finish

</stderr_txt>
    ]]>
    After a brief Google search and a little Google Translate, I found the following possible issues.

Driver version. Might be too old or too new. That's probably not it.

Did you reboot after installing the driver?

Antivirus?
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    After a brief Google search and a little Google Translate, I found the following possible issues.

Driver version. Might be too old or too new. That's probably not it.

Did you reboot after installing the driver?

Antivirus?
    That just may be the answer. The driver is too new for the 4xxx series. That is very similar to the problem I had which is why I reverted back to Catalyst 10.10. The 4xxx series and lower, have only a partial (As in Beta) implementation of OpenCL. Somewhere around Cat. 10.12 AMD started a full implementation of OpenCL which started playing havoc with a lot of 4xxx series owners.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

No antivirus.. I did reboot. I'm about to head downstairs to install the older drivers. I'll let you know.

Al

Gold Member

I just noticed something.
    http://milkyway.cs.rpi.edu/milkyway/...?id=2489#49692

Try a CPU only WU if you haven't already. It may have nothing to do with the card.
    6r39 7r199

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast