Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surveill@Home

Diamond Member

Re: Surveill@Home

I have noticed two problems running this project, and I am looking for confirmation from teammates.

1) It seems to hammer the network to the point where the "can't connect to the network" pop-up happens frequently. This has been confirmed by others on the project forum.

2) On my windows machines (but not my macs), something keeps killing the boinc client. The manager is still running, but can't connect to the localhost. CPU usage is zero. Check the processes, and the BOINC client is not running. It happens about once a day across all my windows machines. This started when I started running this project. So I have suspended this project on all my windows machines.

Since suspending, both 1 and 2 have stopped.

Is anyone else seeing #2?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Cruncher Pete

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I have noticed two problems running this project, and I am looking for confirmation from teammates.

1) It seems to hammer the network to the point where the "can't connect to the network" pop-up happens frequently. This has been confirmed by others on the project forum.

2) On my windows machines (but not my macs), something keeps killing the boinc client. The manager is still running, but can't connect to the localhost. CPU usage is zero. Check the processes, and the BOINC client is not running. It happens about once a day across all my windows machines. This started when I started running this project. So I have suspended this project on all my windows machines.

Yeh, I can confirm that. When I could not connect, I checked Task Manager and it was the project's WU that was taking all my 8Gb of RAM or close to it. The strange part is that it does not happen on all of my machines yet they are identical in build.

Haven't noticed either problem with Surveill but will keep a closer eye on my machines and try to confirm.
    I have noticed your #2 problem on one of my Win32 boxes, the culprit turned out to be FreeHal, since suspending FreeHall on that machine the problem has not re-occurred.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher Pete View Post
    Yeh, I can confirm that. When I could not connect, I checked Task Manager and it was the project's WU that was taking all my 8Gb of RAM or close to it. The strange part is that it does not happen on all of my machines yet they are identical in build.
    Thanks. Could you please follow up to my post on their forum? I would like them to know it's not just me.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    Haven't noticed either problem with Surveill but will keep a closer eye on my machines and try to confirm.
    I have noticed your #2 problem on one of my Win32 boxes, the culprit turned out to be FreeHal, since suspending FreeHall on that machine the problem has not re-occurred.
    Hmm. I am running Freehal too, but that is not causing me any problems. It happens only when I turn on surveill.

Platinum Member

I still have not been able to attach.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    Thanks. Could you please follow up to my post on their forum? I would like them to know it's not just me.
    Hmm. I am running Freehal too, but that is not causing me any problems. It happens only when I turn on surveill.
    Maybe it is related to BM version?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Maybe it is related to BM version?
    FWIW, I am running 6.10.58.

FWIW, I am running 6.10.58.

Gold Member

I'm running 6.12.33 without any problems running Freehal, wuprop, and surveill.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast