Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Astronomical Events!

Platinum Member

Re: Astronomical Events!

If you haven't heard it by now, Today starting at 5:04 P.M. CDT, lasting for 6 hours and 40 minutes, Venus will be making a transit of the Sun. This will not happen again for 105 years, so if your young enough and eat your vegies, you can blow this one off and wait for the next. DO NOT!, under any circumstances, look directly at the Sun. This could cause permanent eye damage. Use a filter, or a welders mask, or make a pinhole projector to see the hole in the Sun, as it is called. There is also what they call the tear drop effect, when the planet reaches either edge of the Sun. Good luck and clear skies!

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
    If you haven't heard it by now, Today starting at 5:04 P.M. CDT, lasting for 6 hours and 40 minutes, Venus will be making a transit of the Sun. This will not happen again for 105 years, so if your young enough and eat your vegies, you can blow this one off and wait for the next. DO NOT!, under any circumstances, look directly at the Sun. This could cause permanent eye damage. Use a filter, or a welders mask, or make a pinhole projector to see the hole in the Sun, as it is called. There is also what they call the tear drop effect, when the planet reaches either edge of the Sun. Good luck and clear skies!
    Seen it and showed it to the wife. I could barely see it, but she could see it pretty well. I bought some solar shades for the occasion.

The sky cleared up nicely for us to view it.
    6r39 7r199

Platinum Member

Watched the first part of it on live feed from Hawaii. Then using a couple pairs of sunglasses with a cheap welders goggles we were able to see it without damaging our eyes. Looked pretty cool.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

Diamond Member

Thierry Legault / Astrophoto.fr
    French astrophotographer Thierry Legault captured this view of the Hubble Space Telescope passing over the sun's disk during this week's transit of Venus. The circles highlight the Hubble on multiple exposures taken every tenth of a second during the telescope's 0.9-second transit.

By Alan Boyle
    Over the past few days, we've seen lots of amazing photos showing Venus' last-in-a-lifetime crossing of the sun, but this shot of the Hubble Space Telescope zooming past Venus may be the only picture of its kind.

It's actually a combination of photographs, snapped every tenth of a second by master astrophotographer Thierry Legault. Nine speck-sized images of Hubble are highlighted with circles in the image. Legault, who is famed for his pictures of spacecraft transits across the sun, traveled from his home base in France to northern Australia for the shot.
    Advertise | AdChoices

After conducting the calculations with CalSky software, Legault made sure he was in Queensland at 01:42:25 UTC June 6, pointing his Takahashi FSQ-106ED telescope at the sun with the proper filters attached. "Thanks to the continuous shooting mode of the Nikon D4 DSLR running at 10 fps [frames per second], nine images of the HST were recorded during its 0.9s transit (1/8000s, 100 iso, raw mode). Turbulence was moderate to high," Legault reported on his website.

You read that right: While it took Venus more than six hours to inch its way in front of the solar disk, the Hubble Space Telescope zipped across in just nine-tenths of a second. Imagine how disappointing it would have been to have a cloud in the way at that moment!

Legault is promising more pictures of Venus, taken during the transit and afterward. But it'll be hard to match this one. The next transit of Venus won't occur until the year 2117, and even though Hubble has long outlasted its projected lifetime, the space telescope will surely be sent down to its fiery doom by then. So chances are this is the only picture that will ever be taken of Hubble and Venus simultaneously silhouetted by the sun.

By the way, Hubble was conducting its own transit tasks during Venus' crossing. Hubble focused on the moon and analyzed the reflected sunlight to find out how easy it will be for future telescopes to pick out the spectral signature of Earthlike planets passing over alien suns. Stay tuned for more about the results of that experiment.

Where in the Cosmos
    This picture served as today's photo puzzle for our "Where in the Cosmos" contest, open to Cosmic Log Facebook followers. It took just a couple of minutes for Ollie Nanyes to tell me what those little specks represented. For being so quick on the draw, I'm sending Nanyes a pair of 3-D glasses donated by Microsoft Research's WorldWide Telescope project. Kent Avery, the runner-up in the guessing game, is getting 3-D specs as well. (Microsoft is a partner along with NBC Universal in the msnbc.com joint venture.)

Alan Boyle is msnbc.com's science editor. Connect with the Cosmic Log community by "liking" the log's Facebook page, following @b0yle on Twitter and adding the Cosmic Log page to your Google+ presence. You can also check out "The Case for Pluto," my book about the controversial dwarf planet and the search for new worlds.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Platinum Member

X-Flare: Big sunspot AR1520 unleashed an X1.4-class solar flare on July 12th. Because the sunspot is directly facing Earth, everything about the blast was geoeffective. For one thing, it hurled a coronal mass ejection (CME) directly toward our planet. According to a forecast track prepared by analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab, the CME will hit Earth on July 14th around 10:20 UT (+/- 7 hours) and could spark strong geomagnetic storms. Sky watchers should be alert for auroras this weekend.

Curtesy of Spaceweather.COM

I would wish for you to have clear skies, but with the lack of moisture, I would rather get some rain.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
    X-Flare: Big sunspot AR1520 unleashed an X1.4-class solar flare on July 12th. Because the sunspot is directly facing Earth, everything about the blast was geoeffective. For one thing, it hurled a coronal mass ejection (CME) directly toward our planet. According to a forecast track prepared by analysts at the Goddard Space Weather Lab, the CME will hit Earth on July 14th around 10:20 UT (+/- 7 hours) and could spark strong geomagnetic storms. Sky watchers should be alert for auroras this weekend.

Curtesy of Spaceweather.COM

I would wish for you to have clear skies, but with the lack of moisture, I would rather get some rain.
    Yeah I heard about this today. They say my part of Michigan is good for sky watching. And for the record... Rain? We don't need no stinking rain! says the Fire$torm.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

What part of Michigan you in. Couldn't find Dead Broke on the map. I used to have a good place to go West of here about 70 miles, but they sold it and now when the Perseids come around in August I have limited good sky locations. I have a Niece about 100 miles Southwest and a friend about 60 miles West, but both live inside of their towns. Their light pollution isn't too bad, but trying to watch anything from my house is almost impossible. Have a park 2 blocks away that leave the big lights for the ball diamond on until about 11:30 P.M. Getting harder and harder to find a good dark spot.

Looks like I'm gonna get clouds for the night, but probably no rain. We had 1 rain storm since June 1st. It knocked down probably 5,000 trees in the area and gave about 3-4 inches of rain which ran down the sewers. 90 mile an hour wind was clocked about 3-4 miles from me. Now the ground is cracked, lawn dead and piles of brush everywhere. Got some firewood though. They even cancelled all 4th of July festivities due to the dry conditions.

Past Administrator

Wow, that doesn't sound good...

For this area, NW of Detroit, there has been sporadic ran, about once a week, that lasts about 20 minutes and then an hour later everything is dry. It's a little dusty and most lawns are a faded brown. But the trees are still growing, along with the weeds as we have a fairly high water table. On the bright side no lawn mowing needs to be done. The forecast has tonight being the only cloud free one for the next 4~5 days

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Well I didn't see anything from my location, however, there were reports of sightings as far south as Saint Louis. Just my luck I guess. Will have to wait for next time.

Update: I got that wrong. Ozark Arkansas......
    Last edited by Crazybob; 07-16-12 at 02:43 PM.

Platinum Member

It's that time of year again. The Perseid meteor shower peaks on the nights of Sat-Sun, and Sun-Mon. This is one of the best showers of the year, mainly bacause the whether is usually warm and the rates can be up near 100 an hour. The shower started on July 25th and has been gaining in intensity since then. You can go out tonight if you want, but the rates will be lower, but your chances are still good. The radiant for this shower id the constellation of Perseus, which rises in the Northeast and is in rising near it's zenith near dawn. You can still see meteors as soon as it gets dark, but you will see more the closer to dawn you get. Meteors can be seen in just about any part of the sjy you look at, but more towards the Northeast. The moon doesn't rise until later, so thee shouldn't be much interference and much less over the weekend.

Cleear Skies!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast