Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PrimeGrid: The Dog Days of Summer Challenge

Diamond Member

PrimeGrid: The Dog Days of Summer Challenge

The Dog Days are here! In just 6 days, PrimeGrid's Challenge series continues with the Dog Days of Summer Challenge (26-28 August). Please come join us for a 2 day Challenge on PrimeGrid's Proth Prime Search (LLR) application. Builds are available for Linux, Mac and Windows. For more information, please see this forum thread..

More...

Diamond Member

Re: PrimeGrid: The Dog Days of Summer Challenge

I am having a Dogšs Day. Oh man. I am going to cry a bit.

It is so sad.

Silver Member

@RRS.....BITE ME! (I know, auto generated message) ....Bite me anyway, %$#*@$
    Yo-

krackedpress

I have have run PPS-Sieve enough to make over 2 million credits. So, this morning I cleared my queue of waiting DiRT WUs and started to run the PPS-Sieve challenge [pre-challenge actually] WU and it gives me over 700 hours as an estimated runtime. Also it is running high priority so the DiRT WUs needing about a half hour to finish will not get any CPU time.

So does this far out there 20-30 day estimates should not be shown. Why are they generated with such an estimate. Someone might see them and decide that it is not worth their CPU time to dedicated that many hours to a project. 8-10 day PG-SoB LLR is bad enough, but 20-30 day estimates for something that takes a few hours, is just plain weird.

I am going to dedicate my quad to the PG challenge, then I will go back to doing some DiRT WUs.

krackedpress

PG's site seemed to crash just before the start of the Challenge. The issuing of WUs was a little slow, but their page that has the count-down clock crashed/timed out a few minutes before the challenge started.

Actually the 835 Hour estimate for the WUs seems laughable though.

Ricky Moore

All 5 PC are up and running.... for how long is up to the hurricane and if we lose power. If power is lost I will upload whatever I can and shutdown and hope power comes on before the race is over. Keep your fingers crossed!!!

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Moore View Post
    All 5 PC are up and running.... for how long is up to the hurricane and if we lose power. If power is lost I will upload whatever I can and shutdown and hope power comes on before the race is over. Keep your fingers crossed!!!
    Have you looked how long these WUs will run? I just did the math. I am at 8% done after 2 hours. That makes it 25 hours +/- for the WUs. I do not remember PPS-Sieve taking that long when I ran them for the 2 million credits worth from that PG project.

How long will it be before the weather comes to call on your town? It way hit PA/NJ area on Sunday morning, I am on the border of NY and PA near the center of it, so if I get any from it, it will be that day.

grrrrrrrrrr..............PG better get their poop together and get the server running........my quads are sitting idle already...........

Ricky Moore

Quote Originally Posted by krackedpress View Post
    Have you looked how long these WUs will run? I just did the math. I am at 8% done after 2 hours. That makes it 25 hours +/- for the WUs. I do not remember PPS-Sieve taking that long when I ran them for the 2 million credits worth from that PG project.

How long will it be before the weather comes to call on your town? It way hit PA/NJ area on Sunday morning, I am on the border of NY and PA near the center of it, so if I get any from it, it will be that day.
    You may be happy to know as the storm pulls in dry air from land it has weaken down to a Cat 2 and expecting to be a Cat 1 by the time it hits land tomorrow morning around 6AM. It may be that by the time it reaches you it could be down to a weak cat 1 or even a TS!

I am currently having trouble uploading and downloading WU's. My PC's are doing WU's in 15 to 30 mins.
    Last edited by Ricky Moore; 08-26-11 at 07:05 PM. Reason: update

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Moore View Post
    You may be happy to know as the storm pulls in dry air from land it has weaken down to a Cat 2 and expecting to be a Cat 1 by the time it hits land tomorrow morning around 6AM. It may be that by the time it reaches you it could be down to a weak cat 1 or even a TS!

I am currently having trouble uploading and downloading WU's. My PC's are doing WU's in 15 to 30 mins.
    What are you running? GPUs?

My quad AMD Phenom 9650 @ 2.3GHz is at about 25% completed for its first set of WU's. I doubt that I will complete more than 2 sets [8 WU's total] during this challenge. This project is what I ran to get PG to almost 3M credits, and this sub-project has over 2M credits by itself. I do not remember them taking this long to do them, by a long shot.

As for PG's servers, it seems to be up and running. Or at least the PG site thinks so and the "http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=boinc_status" thinks so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast