Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: SETI.USA Bash Brothers Group

Past Administrator

Re: SETI.USA Bash Brothers Group

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Getting this thread back to its original purpose...

One of our hard fought #1's is ABC. Still pays pretty well on 64-bit machines (the only thing I'm running now). And were losing ground...

http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=proj&proj=abc
    First thought:
    Well..... Since this group is DrPop's creation he should declare Maxwell 1st Marshall and convene a War Counsel. Then announce our marching orders for the attack.[/end]

Reality:
    It would be nice to have consensus in regards to where we can do the most good for the team. Maybe have a list of projects that are in jeopardy with estimates on how long before the team loses its respective positions.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    The credit system is the only thing we have right now as a gauge and no matter what that is ever changed to, it's still going to be skewed IMHO.
    (One last comment on this, and then I'm done.)

No, the credit system (total cross-project credits) is NOT the only gauge we have now. There are better methods to compare us to our competition. Team MegaMilestones and FormulaBOINC are two. They actually compare apples to apples, with no skewing.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Sorry I've been out of it guys. Like I mentioned to F$ in a PM, R.L. has been handing me my you know what lately.

I'm just going to be blunt. This team is frickin' huge. It's not as big as LAF or S.G., but it's still big. Lots of room for folks to chase whatever their goal in distributed computing happens to be.

That said and understood, I do not believe this is a group for the "personal" MM type chasing. Does that make sense? No hard feeling to anyone intended. Being #1 overall and being #1 in every project are somewhat mutually exclusive at the moment, until certain projects get their head out of the sand and grant more (or less!) credit. Slicker and Crunch3r explained the crappy code most programs are running, so I understand it's NEVER going to be apples to apples. But, it could be a heck of a lot closer than it is now.

When "Joe Blow" newcommer to BOINC looks at a stats page such as Free-DC or BOINC Stats or insert-stat-page-here- and goes hmmmm...what team should I join? Is He/she looking at overall points? Highest RAC? MMs? Etc, etc. We need to find out what they are attracted to, and TARGET THAT. Because we need to grow this team.

Perhaps I was too vague at the beginning. I feel this group is the "BOOST SETI.USA" group. It won't be for everyone. You've got to be willing to back off on a personal project to crunch for a team goal in this group. It's all about helping the team achieve a goal in a specific project, or lift us in the overall stats.
    It's for people like me, who will crunch the highest paying project(s) to lift our RAC until what time someone contacts me and says "We're about to lose our #1 in ABC" at which time I will switch over and crunch that until we've either won it back or lost it to the point we give that one up for good.

For strategy like this, I would prefer that we had a TEAM ONLY forum, because it's going to get down to ....do we give this up for that... or, etc. We don't want / need other teams to know that data on us!

Am I stepping on anyone's toes yet?

Administrator

Okay, back on task... I understand what the group is about but for right now while everything else is being decided, I think that you (DrPop) should just pick a project that we should crunch in the meantime.

If it's ABC, then let's point our rigs at ABC until another project is decided.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Perhaps I was too vague at the beginning. I feel this group is the "BOOST SETI.USA" group. It won't be for everyone. You've got to be willing to back off on a personal project to crunch for a team goal in this group. It's all about helping the team achieve a goal in a specific project, or lift us in the overall stats.
    I got that. I'm not willing to do that, so I didn't join the group. No hard feelings...

However, I do monitor this - If the Boost group is hitting a project that's on my list of goals, I'll join. I brought up ABC because I happen to be crunching it, and noticed other teams more than doubling our production.

Again with the "members only" forum. I still don't like the idea. As a potential compromise (if possible), perhaps we can have our Admins create a new Groups permission level where you can't see posting within the group unless you are a member of the group?

Past Admin

If we by creating and joining a new board, wanted to make a really fresh start on everything...Then we also need to step out of our alter-egos and re-think "the way we do business"...

If we start to alter the idea about a new home, by implementing all the old habits from the old one....What have we then achieved?

Absolutely nothing!!

So....I like the idea on this group...But if we wanīt to make it happen...REALLY happen...We need to start thinking outside the box...

- Why not give a damn about all our #1 slots (which no way in hell we can defend anyway) and focus on 2-3 projects and then just CRUNCH HARD..
    - Why not give a damn about #1 slot overall - and just be the kings of CPU power?
    - Why not go donate some power to each other?

I do not mean by this that we should give a damn about everything...Just painting a picture...Tossing out some ideas..

-
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Maxwell, I like that idea. (And I figured this really isn't your thing, so no worries at all.) This group is going to be a fairly tight bunch - and we're going to do some Viking raids! The kind that make other teams nervous! If Mr. Hankey could pull off a permissions level like that, then sweet.

There are the MM chasers on this team (you guys have a great thread on that - keep it up!), and then there's the "set it on ___project and crunch" members, and then there are those who want to be #1 overall. (Quite a few of those members left and went elsewhere, but we still have a few. I'm one of them.)

This is kind of a bastion for the "would-be #1's". We're going to try to hang onto every position we've got and build some as well. But it's not going to be easy.
    NEXT POST for STM: Strategy, Baby!

Past Administrator

Beer: Interesting, yes, we will have to evaluate all that as a team.

STM: Let's try this as a test. Maxwell just put out the request that we warm up our slugging arms for a good inning over at field ABC. I'm going to post the first post in the group message center for the call to switch over to ABC in a couple hours.

Now the hard part. We need to know a way to gauge our success, and when to quit, and each resume our normal projects. (For you and I it would be AQUA because we're #1ers, to each their own...)

I'm going to call the first shot: we (the Bash Bro.s) back off after we increase our lead over LAF by a mil or so. No one else (like S.G.) is even close, so we don't really care how much they're ramping up. But, LAF is close enough they *could* do some damage to our #1 at ABC over the course of a few months. LAF is gaining on us by 68K per day. We currently have a lead of 72 Mil.
    The Bash Bro.s should be able to reverse the trend, and GAIN us a Mil. in fairly short order. Let's see if we can do this.
    Last edited by DrPop; 11-10-10 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Maybe let's call breaking even, then +1 Mil good

Administrator

Looks like LAF is still leading us by ~50K a day in ABC.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    Looks like LAF is still leading us by ~50K a day in ABC.
    It looks like they have "upped" their production a bit...But if so....They must have backed off somewhere else?
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast