Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: $500 power bill yikes!

Silver Member

Re: $500 power bill yikes!

Just in case any of you are wondering what is attached to that bum, click the thumbnail.
    As you can see, she is serious about doing her job and it is a job she does very well.
    She might wear funny looking boots, have a "do" that's a bit loco and carries a strange
    looking wand with her, but she knows how to kick a$$ and kisses VERY nicely!

Farie1.jpg
    Farie2.jpg
    Last edited by YoDude9999; 09-07-11 at 12:41 AM.
    Yo-

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    If you would just install $50,000 worth of solar panel, you could run those computers for free! You know, free power from the Sun. Go green!
    Saw an ad the other day - just $150 for 45w solar panel. It looked about 4' x 4' in size. So... to power the 2 x 2200w backup power supplies alone would require 98 of them which is only $14,210 plus tax, shipping etc. To power the entire hose would be about $40K (including batteries, switch to put excess into the grid, etc.). The problem is that I would need over 3000 square feet of solar panels and I don't have that much southern facing roof area, the trees block the sun in the back yard, and there's not enough sunlight in the front yard (shadow of the house most the day).

Maybe I need a wind farm!
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

Sounds like all you need to do is talk to all your neighbors and get each one to put a few of the panels on their houses and send the power over to your house. Just explain your great love of crunching and that this will help your sanity and of course mankind. I am sure they will understand and help out.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Saw an ad the other day - just $150 for 45w solar panel. It looked about 4' x 4' in size. So... to power the 2 x 2200w backup power supplies alone would require 98 of them which is only $14,210 plus tax, shipping etc. To power the entire hose would be about $40K (including batteries, switch to put excess into the grid, etc.). The problem is that I would need over 3000 square feet of solar panels and I don't have that much southern facing roof area, the trees block the sun in the back yard, and there's not enough sunlight in the front yard (shadow of the house most the day).

Maybe I need a wind farm!
    Yeppers. An alternative energy matrix is the best solution for most people. So where you live would determine the mix of solar (photoelectric & thermal), wind and in some regions water or geothermal might be possible.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

With the weather rapidly cooling down here in Las Vegas, it was 111° 3 weeks ago and it was 66° this morning, I should be able to keep my systems running on a regular basis as we enter the winter months. I have budgeted $150 a month for power so I should be able to stay in this range without the need of the AC running all of the time.

As far as alternative energy, I am still currently acquiring equipment to start my photography business along with finishing up with a lengthy list of licensing requirements but once I am done I will be purchasing this little gem. The Extreme Adventure Kit... it will provide power to run my laptop in addition to a couple peripherals for short terms. One location I will be working from has power the other does not so this device will provide what I need. With some additional solar panels, I plan on using it as a 'draw' for people to my business who may be curious... it couldn't hurt.

All of my studio lighting have dedicated power packs, so I will be completely portable which was one of my main goals.
    Last edited by STMahlberg; 09-15-11 at 03:07 PM.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Yeppers. An alternative energy matrix is the best solution for most people. So where you live would determine the mix of solar (photoelectric & thermal), wind and in some regions water or geothermal might be possible.
    With one issue of not having enough surface area to generate all of the power required to run a building, NV Energy here will allow you to do what is called "Net Metering." Basically, we have a few sites where the roofs are covered with a flexible PV system. There is only enough square footage to generate ~30% of the power required for the building; the power that is generated is used by the building using specialized transfer equipment and NV Energy offsets the power bill by 30% so there is at least a little savings.

The cost of installation is still somewhat prohibitive; if it weren't for the state and government rebate incentives, we would not have installed much of this equipment. We do it mainly as a 'feel good' program to tell the public that we care about being 'green' and 'global climate disruption' or whatever they are calling it this week.

Frankly, from my experience, being green is one of the biggest lies that the public is being sold on in the energy industry... but that is another story.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Silver Member

Or you could just sneak some extension cords to your neighbor's house.
    Cruncher Status
    Kuro Chan: Offline Glacies: Online P/T

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Aux10 View Post
    Or you could just sneak some extension cords to your neighbor's house.
    I like it!

Diamond Member

I am always higly organized on my wires. Some say I am a bit wired.

My cats run out of home and are waitting for the fire

That will never happen as long I have water

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234