Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it more efficient to run one or multiple WU's?

Is it more efficient to run one or multiple WU's?

Just wondering if it makes a difference whether one or 4 WU's are running simultaneously. Also wondering what people generally do with their resource share option.

Thanks!

Past Admin

Re: Is it more efficient to run one or multiple WU's?

I run one wu per core. I have an AMDx6 that I run six wu's on and I run eight wu's on my Intel Sandybridge 2600k. With some Intel chips you can run 2 per core. As far as settings I crunch all the time and use my GPU with computer is in use. Unless I'm gaming.
    Hope that helps.

Past Administrator

Ya what Mike said. I just wanted to ass that Intel CPUs with Hyper Threading a.k.a. HT (info Link) allows a CPU core to process two threads at once. In general terms for crunching this works well but overall productions depends on the projects app and how well it is coded for optimization. Sloppy code works well with HT. For apps that are highly optimized for efficiency, it is recommended that the user disable HT in system BIOS to prevent the system from bogging down.

Personally I always have HT enabled on my two i7 boxes. Simply because its just a pain in the butt to keep enabling/disabling HT except for specific events like PrimeGrid Challenges. Although for the current challenge I forgot.

One other thing to note. Most projects, if not all, have a preference for a particular CPU brand as well as Operating System. This is dependent on how the app was coded as well as what type of work the app does. Though I do not keep track of such preferences, some of the Team Gurus like trigggl, zombie67, JPM and others are quite knowledgeable on such matters.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Thanks for the info!

I have and i5 2500k so that would be why my machine is running four tasks, one for each core?

Another question I have, that i haven't been able to find an answer for so far is; why do some tasks run to 90ish % completion and then start another task? Is there a way to force the BOINC manager to do a task to completion?

Past Admin

That may have to do with your computing preferences. Go to Tools then at the bottom select computing preferences, at the first tab (Processor usage) go to the bottom where is says "switch between applications every ____ minutes" I believe 60 minutes is default. I usually leave it at 200 minutes which is more than enough time for most projects. Also remember to check the box a little higher up on that same tab, "Use GPU while computer is in use" then you'll see the points fly.

Past Admin

Sorry about that :-x
    Last edited by Mike029; 10-03-11 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Duplicate posting

Gold Member

I see that no one has mentioned that if you want some extra points you should attach to Freehal, WUprop, and Surveill as these are non cpu intensive projects and only use very little of your computing power. With Freehal you will have to go to the website and check the boxes to get the non cpu intensive work units. All 3 play very nice with the other projects.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    I see that no one has mentioned that if you want some extra points you should attach to Freehal, WUprop, and Surveill as these are non cpu intensive projects and only use very little of your computing power. With Freehal you will have to go to the website and check the boxes to get the non cpu intensive work units. All 3 play very nice with the other projects.
    Oooops. Forgot again......

Note: Some people have commented that Survill@Home can be network intensive at times.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

We'll forgive you.....this time.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Awesome guys thanks for the info.

I've upped the time it takes to switch between projects so now they should finish haha. I'm also now crunchin Freehal, WUprop and Surveill. I think those projects will also be ideal for my old duel core lap top i'm setting up as a cruncher.

Any other suggestions for programs to crunch on an older machine?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast