Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TV shows

Gold Member

TV shows

What TV shows do you all like to watch? Im always looking for a new "good" show to watch.

Platinum Member

Re: TV shows

Oh god... You would have to ask this...

Shows I own and am happy to talk about: 10 Items or Less, 24, 30 Rock, American Dad, Big Bang Theory, Bones, Breaking Bad, Burn Notice, Castle, Chuck, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dexter, Diners Drive Ins and Dives, Eastbound and Down, Eureka, Family Guy, Heroes, House, How I Met Your Mother, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Leverage, Monk, NCIS, Northern Exposure, The Office, Party Down, Parks and Recreation, Pawn Stars, Perfect Strangers, Pretender, Psych, Scrubs, Simpsons, Two and a Half Men, Weeds, Alias, Arrested Development, Dead Like Me, Defying Gravity, Eli Stone, Greg the Bunny, The Office (BBC), Prison Break, Reba, Six Feet Under, Sports Night, and the Unit.

Plus, I watch/have watched a bunch of stuff I don't own. I'm not a TV addict. I can quit any time...

The better question might be: What type of stuff do you like?

Gold Member

As you mentioned Defying Gravity (a show I love!!!!! and am very pissed they canceled) I will talk about another show that only got 13 episodes: Firefly. I am into Dexter, Castle, Chuck, Bones, Haven, White Collar, Dollhouse, Caprica (starting to suck), Covert Affairs, Human Target, and Modern Family.

Platinum Member

Firefly is fantastic - it lives with my ex-gf, so I forgot to mention it...

If you're willing to get into some older shows, here's what I recommend based on your list of shows you're into:
    - Alias - In descending order of season quality (IMHO), it went 5.2, 2, 1, 4, 3, 5.1. I split season 5 (the final season), because the first half wasn't great, but the second half was incredible after they found out they were canceled - they started tying up loose ends. Was my favorite show while it was on TV...
    - Arrested Development - has a GREAT cross-episode plot, as well as the best comedy writing I've seen on TV. Definitely worth purchasing the DVDs.
    - Greg the Bunny - a short-lived Fox sitcom (~13 episodes) exploring the racial tensions between humans and puppets (pictures Sesame street characters) set in a children's TV show.

Other thoughts:
    - Weeds. If you like Dexter, I think you'll like Weeds. But START FROM THE BEGINNING. It's incredible comparing recent seasons with early seasons. They consistently push the envelope in a comedic and dramatic way, and walk a very fine line of balance successfully.
    - The Big C. Imagine all the hilarity that ensues after you're diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. That's the show. Deals with serious issues in a humorous way and touches on family dynamics you don't often see...
    - Psych. If you like humorous mystery shows, this is great.
    - Monk. If you like dry humorous mystery shows with a befuddled lead character, this is great.
    - Burn Notice. Jason Bourne meets True Lies. Black Ops spy get's mysteriously "burned" (blacklisted) by the CIA, and is on a mission to figure who burned him and how to get back in.
    - Community. I think this show is just as hilarious as Modern Family. Definitely worth a shot.

Shot in the Dark:
    - Sex and the City. If you are seeing a woman and are disinclined to buy her a dishwasher, I might actually suggest this series. I found it irritating, but addictive. You'd be surprised at just how consistently these damn women make stupid decisions for stupid reasons. But if you want to feel smart, with it, emotionally stable, and like a person who makes great decisions, watch that show. It might score you some brownie points...

thepossum1

No cable here. I agree with Firefly, pfft on Caprica--highly disappointed--bought the DVD what a waste, yes, miss Alias gotta love kick a$$ women characters. The few Dexter episodes I've seen--good, All Stargate incarnations. Yeah, Defying gravity was decent--missed the first few, so I was a little lost, but still enjoyed it. Love it that Netflix has all seasons of many of the shows available for us cheapskates

Also like Fringe, Castle, Supernatural, NCIS, Hell's Kitchen/Master Chef,The Mentalist,liking Hawaii 5-0 so far,House when I remember to watch it, Deadliest Catch, Legend of the Seeker. Been trying to get into the Event, but there are days JJ Abrams is just too much for my head to grasp and I think it's on the same time as something else...don't ask what, clueless

But I tend to go for the cheesy reality shows--can't miss Survivor--sucks they changed the day to opposite Hell's Kitchen BUT can watch online the next day. Have to wonder--they have SO many players from NC--are they that good at it or too stupid not to audition??lol just pickin'
    I'll even admit to watching Wipe Out a couple of times--sheesh all those people qualify for Darwin Awards. Not reality, but Sunday nights are devoted to Eastenders and British comedy on PBS and Sunday afternoon is devoted to the PBS cooking shows.

Not admitting to being a TV junkie, but my TV is on 24/7 just like my computer lol and now that I'm in charge of the remote muahahahahahaha.....one of the over the air HD channels has country music videos--nice background so the house isnt' so quiet
    Last edited by thepossum1; 11-09-10 at 09:05 AM.

Past Admin

SG Universe, Fringe and trying to get back into Sanctuary.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Oh god... You would have to ask this...

Shows I own and am happy to talk about: 10 Items or Less, 24, 30 Rock, American Dad, Big Bang Theory, Bones, Breaking Bad, Burn Notice, Castle, Chuck, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Dexter, Diners Drive Ins and Dives, Eastbound and Down, Eureka, Family Guy, Heroes, House, How I Met Your Mother, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Leverage, Monk, NCIS, Northern Exposure, The Office, Party Down, Parks and Recreation, Pawn Stars, Perfect Strangers, Pretender, Psych, Scrubs, Simpsons, Two and a Half Men, Weeds, Alias, Arrested Development, Dead Like Me, Defying Gravity, Eli Stone, Greg the Bunny, The Office (BBC), Prison Break, Reba, Six Feet Under, Sports Night, and the Unit.

Plus, I watch/have watched a bunch of stuff I don't own. I'm not a TV addict. I can quit any time...

The better question might be: What type of stuff do you like?
    At first I was impressed by your post, not from the shear number of shows that you like but by the fact it was alphabetized and I thought, dang... he's as neurotic as I am... but then you blew it at Alias.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    At first I was impressed by your post, not from the shear number of shows that you like but by the fact it was alphabetized and I thought, dang... he's as neurotic as I am... but then you blew it at Alias.
    Then this might impress you - the first listing was alphabetized shows that I own and are still running and/or I don't have all the seasons of. The second part (starting at Alias) is alphabetized where I happen to own the entire series, and they are no longer producing seasons. Those live in separate locations in my living room...

Administrator

Shows that I have watched semi-recently or at one time or another. Thank God for TIVO.

Bad Girls, Bones, Caprica, Criminal Minds, CSI, Doctor Who, Eureka, Fringe, Heros, House, Known Universe, Law & Order, Law & Order - Criminal Intent, Law & Order - Special Victims Unit, Law & Order - UK, Lost, NCIS, NCIS Los Angeles, Primeval, RENO 911, Robot Chicken, Sanctuary, Southland, South Park, Stargate Universe, The L Word, Torchwood, Tripping the Rift and Wipeout.

I'm probably missing some too.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Then this might impress you - the first listing was alphabetized shows that I own and are still running and/or I don't have all the seasons of. The second part (starting at Alias) is alphabetized where I happen to own the entire series, and they are no longer producing seasons. Those live in separate locations in my living room...
    Imagine my chagrin... you ARE as crazy as I am.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast