Thread: Project Update

Cruncher Pete

Project Update

This is a New Project started on 29 Sep 2011 but as usual it is slow in advertising the fact. I will have the full information on this project in the Front Page under Projects very soon. In the mean time, may I suggest that you join this project whilst you can even though you might not want to crunch it now. Home Page is: http://sat.isa.ru/pdsat/

K
    eep on crunching and have a nice day...
    CP.

Gold Member

Re: Project Update

I'm there and crunching a few.
    6r39 7r199

Silver Member

I'm on it as well, downloaded 1 WU think I'll crunch just that one to get on the list. Still keeping all my resources on YAFU.

Gold Member

http://sat.isa.ru/pdsat/forum_thread.php?id=1#1

It sounds like they send out lots of WUs and when some lucky person gets the correct answer in his results, all the rest are aborted which means hours of crunching w/o any credit. So, be warned, until they make changes, it will be a very, very
    poor paying project.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    http://sat.isa.ru/pdsat/forum_thread.php?id=1#1

It sounds like they send out lots of WUs and when some lucky person gets the correct answer in his results, all the rest are aborted which means hours of crunching w/o any credit. So, be warned, until they make changes, it will be a very, very
    poor paying project.
    So, another case of one per core at a time. I got two in so far for ~200 total.
    6r39 7r199

Cruncher Pete

First of all this project did the right thing and changed its name to SAT@Home. A much sensible name than that long one. Secondly, it has work again, so go and get them if you are after it...

Keep on crunching and have a nice day...
    CP.

Diamond Member

Be warned. I've been down this road. Announcing new projects too early will end up with pissed off crunchers, project reputations ruined, and bad feelings all around. It happens almost every time. And there is blow-back.

This project is a perfect example. They are running batches of tasks to solve for x. When solved, they cancelled all the remaining tasks...including the tasks already in progress. An innocent mistake, and they are going to change that in the future. Only tasks not already started will be cancelled. But precious crunching time was wasted this round. And these were fairly long running tasks, many hours in length. I myself lost about 120 hours of crunching just with this one little learning mistake by the project.

Fair enough. That's the price of being an early adopter.

But many who *want* to be early adopters really don't have the mind-set to deal with the consequences. And then the complaining and bad-mouthing begins, and the project gets a bad reputation. All before the project was really wanting publicity to begin with. Loose-loose.

People who are actually suited to the new projects know how to find them, and will make the effort. No need to announce.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Be warned. I've been down this road. Announcing new projects too early will end up with pissed off crunchers, project reputations ruined, and bad feelings all around. It happens almost every time. And there is blow-back.
    Can't create an account if you don't know about it. Some new projects only let a few people in at a time.

Sometimes too busy to look.

EDIT: I created a script to update the project every 10 minutes. So, hopefully I don't spend any time crunching something that's going to be aborted, or at least not a lot of time.
    Last edited by trigggl; 10-13-11 at 12:13 PM.
    6r39 7r199