Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alliterative Ways to Power Case Fans.

Silver Member

Alliterative Ways to Power Case Fans.

We apparently the admins of my building decided to turn on the steam heating system and cut the power to everyone's AC units (cheap asses) and my room is like an oven. I swear I'm gonna wake up one day to find I turned into a cookie if this keeps up. If I close my vent the hot air backs up in my ducts and starts to radiate through the walls nor does opening the windows help (as a construction engineering student I call this failure by design). I then came up with an idea, why don't I make a window fan that will fit the weird window opening. The framing for it will be made of foam board insulation and it'll have a small HEPA filter cartridge (dam city air). Because of the limited space as strip of three 120mm case fans are perfect for the job. While I do have an old PSU sitting around I was hoping to use something lighter and more compact. Any ideas on how to power them without a good old PSU?
    Cruncher Status
    Kuro Chan: Offline Glacies: Online P/T

Past Administrator

Re: Alliterative Ways to Power Case Fans.

About 2 decades ago (yes, yes, yes... and no laughing plz) I made a power supply for an external hard drive from a 12V@1.5A transformer and two voltage regulators, 12V & 5.5V. You can make something similar sans the 5.5V regulator.

First just figure out the total current all the fans will draw by adding together their respective current ratings. So if you have five fans and each one is rated at 300mA that totals to 1.5 Amps so a 12~14V transformer rated at 2 amps will work. Same for the 12V regulator.

Note: It is possible to forgo using a regulator but then you loose the regulators ability to maintain line voltage at 12V. Since you will be powering only fans it not a serious issue. You will still need to use a full-wave bridge rectifier and a couple of capacitors to convert the transformers AC output to DC. This is assuming you are using DC powered case fans of course. The net has plenty on How-To's for projects like this.

You can just buy a 12 DC power supply from the likes of Radio Shack but they charge a hefty sum for units rated over 500mA.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

What if you used something like this? I use that for my hard drives all the time in order to pull data off of them or test them out.

I'm not sure if it will turn on w/out the USB connection, but I can try that out for you tonight and see if the fans turn on. If that works, then you could piggy back the molex connectors.

- Jason

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob's Son View Post
    What if you used something like this? I use that for my hard drives all the time in order to pull data off of them or test them out.

I'm not sure if it will turn on w/out the USB connection, but I can try that out for you tonight and see if the fans turn on. If that works, then you could piggy back the molex connectors.

- Jason
    If the outlet of that power adaptor is what I think it is that with defiantly work! I already have plenty of fan cables, just need a way to give em some juice. I can picture the finished product in my head but it's a pain to get accurate measurements. Especially that pesky angle at the bottom. Its one of those windows that open at the top and have the hinge at the bottom which is why I'm on the DIY bandwagon with this. I'm trying to make a mock up out of poster board first to make sure every thing looks good but that angle is the devil. If only my protractor wasn't too big to fit in there.

Quick Question: Do GPUs clock them selves back a bit when they run hotter than normal? Both of mine are reporting temperatures 6-8C above normal (for obvious reasons) and my credit seems to have taken a bit of a roll back.
    Last edited by Aux10; 10-24-11 at 05:15 PM.
    Cruncher Status

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aux10 View Post
    If the outlet of that power adaptor is what I think it is that with defiantly work! I already have plenty of fan cables, just need a way to give em some juice. I can picture the finished product in my head but it's a pain to get accurate measurements. Especially that pesky angle at the bottom. Its one of those windows that open at the top and have the hinge at the bottom which is why I'm on the DIY bandwagon with this. I'm trying to make a mock up out of poster board first to make sure every thing looks good but that angle is the devil. If only my protractor wasn't too big to fit in there.

Quick Question: Do GPUs clock them selves back a bit when they run hotter than normal? Both of mine are reporting temperatures 6-8C above normal (for obvious reasons) and my credit seems to have taken a bit of a roll back.
    Yes the end is a molex plug. I just wanted to confirm that plugging in a case fan would automatically turn on and not need a switch of some sort.

Silver Member

Hi Aux10, http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g36/...115V_Fans.html frozen CPU sells AC fans.....follow the link!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by bmwr606 View Post
    Hi Aux10, http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g36/...115V_Fans.html frozen CPU sells AC fans.....follow the link!
    Ah yes! That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
    Cruncher Status

Silver Member

I did test out the USB adapter power source and that does work with the fan. It just turns on right away so you'd need to add in a switch of some sort if you wanted to have it switched. Otherwise just unplug.

I will take a completely different approach to this discussion...

USE SOLAR POWER and an old car battery!

I have been powering an AMD Phenom II 965 system with an inverter and also connected the fans in the system directly to the battery.

Here are just a few of my articles on this subject:
    How to Generate Your Own Electricity with Cheap Solar Panels - Part 1
    How Does a MPPT Solar Controller Work? Solar Power Project Part 3

Feel free to PM me for more details or assistance buying your solar supplies. Ebay has some great deals on 50 watt solar panels that should run all the fans in your computer case, assuming you first store the power in a battery so the fans can run at night.

470_1104282.jpg
    470_1155364.jpg
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Gold Member

I was thinking car battery charger. Of course, that's probably because I already have one.
    6r39 7r199

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast