Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for Multi CPU and Multi GPU projects...

Silver Member

Looking for Multi CPU and Multi GPU projects...

Like the title says.. here are some examples of 2 projects I know of

Milkyway@home: Can generate WUs designed for however many cores you sent boinc to allow, and they run very fast and can rack up credit. Unfortunately they don't let you configure their project very well, and you get single core CPU WUs mixed in.

MooWrapper: Can generate multi GPU WUs to use more than 1 GPU at a time for the WU

If anyone knows of any other "multi" resource projects like that, please let me know.

Past Administrator

Re: Looking for Multi CPU and Multi GPU projects...

Quote Originally Posted by DAD View Post
    Like the title says.. here are some examples of 2 projects I know of

Milkyway@home: Can generate WUs designed for however many cores you sent boinc to allow, and they run very fast and can rack up credit. Unfortunately they don't let you configure their project very well, and you get single core CPU WUs mixed in.

MooWrapper: Can generate multi GPU WUs to use more than 1 GPU at a time for the WU

If anyone knows of any other "multi" resource projects like that, please let me know.
    The only project that I know of was Aqua@Home but they shutdown after the blowback they incurred when DA's CreditNew infiltrated their server......

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Climate prediction wrote their own in house credit system.. Can't projects hose to not adopt credit new?

Past Administrator

Climate prediction wrote their own in house credit system.. Can't projects hose to not adopt credit new?
    Unfortunately in the near future that will no longer be possible. In earlier iterations of the server code DA included options for alternate credit schemes. He is currently in the process of removing any such option. Soon it will all be CreditNew and ONLY CreditNew.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

But since ppl often compile the source for their particular OS, couldnt they could choose to rewrite the credit code? (unless he plans not to release the source and limit the platforms the server can run on)

Example, what would happen if I started a project with his new creditnew server, and just rewrote his code back to the old system?
    Last edited by DAD; 10-26-11 at 03:53 AM.

Past Administrator

But since ppl often compile the source for their particular OS, couldnt they could choose to rewrite the credit code? (unless he plans not to release the source and limit the platforms the server can run on)

Example, what would happen if I started a project with his new creditnew server, and just rewrote his code back to the old system?
    No, the code is open source so you are correct. The thing is DA is in the process of eliminating the possibility of being able to add an alternate credit schema to the code by making other various essential elements of the code dependent on the CreditNew code.

Bottom line: In the near future if a project does not want to use CreditNew then they will have to do some serious rewrite of a good portion of the server code. Since many projects do not have the time/patience/skill to do that, CreditNew will be the de-facto standard.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    No, the code is open source so you are correct. The thing is DA is in the process of eliminating the possibility of being able to add an alternate credit schema to the code by making other various essential elements of the code dependent on the CreditNew code.

Bottom line: In the near future if a project does not want to use CreditNew then they will have to do some serious rewrite of a good portion of the server code. Since many projects do not have the time/patience/skill to do that, CreditNew will be the de-facto standard.
    I am sorry to say. But when that happens - I am gone. I will then spend my money on something else.
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    I am sorry to say. But when that happens - I am gone. I will then spend my money on something else.
    Unfortunately I share your sentiment. I think many teams will suffer much as credit mongers/point chasers decide BOINC isn't worth the time and money and move on to other hobbies. That will be a sad day indeed.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

I will be gone as well. I hate when 1 person decides that they want to control how other projects run. I can put the money that I spend on electricity to good use elseware......MORE BEER!

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Silver Member

Well it depends on why you are using boinc. Yes I like to chase credits, but I'm also in it for the science. It won't stop me from crunching, but it will change how I do it, and how many resources I devote to it. I dont want to penalize projects for DA's moronic thinking. However, projects can chose NOT to upgrade to his new code, but then projects may eventually fall behind or become non compatible with newer clients

However, if I ever ran a server, I WOULD rewrite his code as I do have the programming and math knowledge and time to do so.

... hmmm.. idea.... lol.. rewrite server code.. make that code available for public use but that may violate some legal things. I need to look into the EULA for the boinc client/server. If it can legally be done, then I'll snag his new, mandatory, credit new server code, re write it, and put the files up for free for public use, and then each project can recompile it

In the end, if projects start really losing people over his new system, they will pressure him to undo it or seek/design another boinc-like client/server solution.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast