Thread: Does GPU crunching require x64 OS?

Past Admin

Does GPU crunching require x64 OS?

Hey there team

Just sitting here and wondering. If one desires to crunch with a GPU only in any type of PC - does it require one to have a x64 OS?

Say....

If one had a small Atom/Fusion board with a PCI-e port on it - and one had to choose between the older outdated Win XP or a Vista x64 install. The x64 Vista would be somewhat of a handfull for a small Atom CPU - where the XP could easily run.

Just hypothetical speaking of course...
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Re: Does GPU crunching require x64 OS?

Hey Beer,
    32 bit is just fine for GPU crunching, although some projects give higher credit for 64bit. I don't think I would install Vista on an Atom CPU unless I had tons of RAM and an SSD drive. Even then it might be a bit slow.
    Win 7, it seems can tone itself down for an Atom just fine. I don't know what the difference is under the hood, but it automatically seems to go easier on the 3D display, background services, etc. Win 8 will probably be even better in that sense.
    Does your Atom CPU support 64 bit OS?

Also, just a thought, but you might see how much of that CPU it takes just to feed the GPU if the GPU is high end enough, you might get way more credits by not crunching any CPU project on it and letting the ATOM be a slave to feeding the GPU WUs.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Hey Beer,
    32 bit is just fine for GPU crunching, although some projects give higher credit for 64bit. I don't think I would install Vista on an Atom CPU unless I had tons of RAM and an SSD drive. Even then it might be a bit slow.
    Win 7, it seems can tone itself down for an Atom just fine. I don't know what the difference is under the hood, but it automatically seems to go easier on the 3D display, background services, etc. Win 8 will probably be even better in that sense.
    Does your Atom CPU support 64 bit OS?

Also, just a thought, but you might see how much of that CPU it takes just to feed the GPU if the GPU is high end enough, you might get way more credits by not crunching any CPU project on it and letting the ATOM be a slave to feeding the GPU WUs.

I do not actually have a setup yet. But I were just tossing ideas around in my head. And one of the ideas where a Atom setup just to feed a GPU. I mean...If a Atom/AMD Fusion CPU can feed a 9400GT/Ati6310 enough to watch HD-materials just fine - they must have just enough power to feed a GPU crunching...And I am not sure that Linux OS can do that...Hense the Windows solution..

Could be one small nice cruncher...

Past Administrator

Yeah, Atom is a x64 platform. Beer, I think you are pretty much stuck with Windows for Atom IIRC. I double check but I think Linux support for the Atom is very limited.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

OK, so I was in error...........

Wikipedia - List of Linux supported architectures ---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._architectures

Many users are installing netbook editions on Atom Procs like Moblin (Link). Ubuntu has done away with a separate netbook edition a.k.a. Remix. Instead, starting with Ubuntu 10.10 they have replaced the GNOME desktop with Unity. Personally I think Unity is horrendous.

If you prefer a pure GNOME desktop do not use Ubuntu but rather try this ---> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=94 (From this thread ---> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1815049)

Hope this helps.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    OK, so I was in error...........

Wikipedia - List of Linux supported architectures ---> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._architectures

Many users are installing netbook editions on Atom Procs like Moblin (Link). Ubuntu has done away with a separate netbook edition a.k.a. Remix. Instead, starting with Ubuntu 10.10 they have replaced the GNOME desktop with Unity. Personally I think Unity is horrendous.

If you prefer a pure GNOME desktop do not use Ubuntu but rather try this ---> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=94 (From this thread ---> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1815049)

Hope this helps.
    Thks for the links. I will definately check them out. The question is actually not if Atom/AMD Fusion CPU can handle x64 OS or not. I know they can. Itīs more the initial question. Do the OS have to be x64 in order to crunch?
    Since this is still under development inside my thick head - nothing has been bougth/build yet. But I do know that I have a XP license and a Vista x64 license. (Both OEMīs - I just phone MS for activation..)

But I have a feeling that say Vista is WAY to heavy on a Atom/AMD Fusion CPU - therefore the GPU crunching would suck!

Past Administrator

I believe the GPU projects serve both x86 & x64 platforms. Some if not most projects will favor x64 credit wise. Ultimately I think 64 bit is the way to go as it can run 32 bit apps. The reverse of course is not true.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6