Thread: Horrific download issues...

Silver Member

Horrific download issues...

What is with SETI and SET Beta? Are they so overloaded that they can't transmit a simple 300Kb file? Im trying to switch to SETI to get those 2 projects up to 100K, but downloading their WUs are a pain and then the project tries to get me to back off for hours.

the only way i've been able to get some is to sit in boinctasks and just SPAM the servers with non stop retries.

They are either just out of UL bandwidth or a server of their is overloaded.

Past Administrator

Re: Horrific download issues...

Ummm...yeah. I think we all pretty much agree with you, and that is why most of us here don't even crunch SETI much anymore. What a disappointment ... could and should be the #1 best BOINC project of all time. But...obviously they have serious management issues.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Ummm...yeah. I think we all pretty much agree with you, and that is why most of us here don't even crunch SETI much anymore. What a disappointment ... could and should be the #1 best BOINC project of all time. But...obviously they have serious management issues.
    And that will always be a issue as long as DA runs the show.

Many other BOINC admins have shown us how project can be run also. They listen to their participants, change things and other stuff. DA acts like his participants are his slaves. They must obey every move he make.
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    And that will always be a issue as long as DA runs the show.

Many other BOINC admins have shown us how project can be run also. They listen to their participants, change things and other stuff. DA acts like his participants are his slaves. They must obey every move he make.
    Well, since DA maintains that he has minimal involvement with running S@H it is as you say "...that will always be". Too much Feldercarb with that man.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 10-30-11 at 05:27 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Even with all that, true as it is; I still have a huge soft spot for SETI@Home, the first project I ever crunched, and the only one that I knew existed for years! I suppose many of us feel that way? I'd like to think so...

Gold Member

Nope. No soft spot for SETI@HOME even though it was also my first. When it changed to the Boinc format I left it and decided to crunch other projects. I have done a little bit of it in Boinc but since they are just re-running wu's and not doing anything new I'm out and will not go back. It seems to me that they will not give you a straight story and no one but the people there know exactly what is going on. My computer time can do more good on the science projects that I now prefer. (Personal opinion only)

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Past Administrator

Oh, well in that case, fair enough. I didn't know they were just re-crunching the same stuff. Now I'm a little curious. Are they looking for something new in the data, or did something screw up the first time around?

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Oh, well in that case, fair enough. I didn't know they were just re-crunching the same stuff. Now I'm a little curious. Are they looking for something new in the data, or did something screw up the first time around?
    Nope and no. I posted about this a day or two ago. Their data is completely corrupted. When SETI@Home first received their funding for their radio telescope, some one failed big time by building it too close to an U.S. Airforce base!!!!!

Every bit of data SETI@Home has recorded from that telescope is totally useless. Hence the reason their major funding has dried up.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Crappy credits, lack of funding, lack of proper server upkeep.... Bad data.. Bad telescope....Any reason to bother with it anymore?

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DAD View Post
    Crappy credits, lack of funding, lack of proper server upkeep.... Bad data.. Bad telescope....Any reason to bother with it anymore?
    LOL! No, I guess not. I knew about the crappy credits part, of course, but not the other stuff. *note to self* - all sentimental feelings for SETI@Home now erased.