Page 57 of 133 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast

Thread: Duke the menace

Diamond Member

Re: Duke the menace

Quote Originally Posted by artemis8 View Post
    I've never heard of a limpet, what is it?
    We call them "Lapa(s)" in Portuguese and I had to look for a translation also. I hope the picture or the wikipedia page can help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limpet
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Gold Member

Oh wow, I've never seen those. They look interesting. I've never actually cooked a snail before. I do like escargot though.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by artemis8 View Post
    Oh wow, I've never seen those. They look interesting. I've never actually cooked a snail before. I do like escargot though.
    They are very different from escargot. In fact the flavor is much more seemed to the oysters in shape and flavor. This is a usual cooking from Azores where oysters and limpets are very common on the beaches.

There are some tricks as having them 24 hours on clean (salty) water before cook them but can be eaten without cooking also, one thing I can assure you, they are delicious.

Diamond Member

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.

Robert A. Heinlein

Diamond Member

When I was young (that was long ago) I loved to read scientific fiction and one of my favorites was Robert A. Heinlein. I learned with him that one can be crazy to have different perspective of all that really matters. Most of the people try to say things on a more credible way, always fearing other peoples judgment. I don't and I owe that to crazy Heinlein. Life can be craziest than Heinlein or the crazy Duke.

I am reading again "A Stranger in a Strange Land" rediscovering Heinlein and his genius with human feelings.

“Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.”

“Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy - in fact, they are almost incompatible; one emotion hardly leaves room for the other.”

“I've found out why people laugh. They laugh because it hurts so much . . . because it's the only thing that'll make it stop hurting.”

“A desire not to butt into other people's business is at least eighty percent of all human wisdom.”

“Consider the black widow spider. It's a timid little beastie, useful and, for my taste, the prettiest of the arachnids, with its shiny, patent-leather finish and its red hourglass trademark. But the poor thing has the fatal misfortune of possessing enormously too much power for its size. So everybody kills it on sight.”

“Secrecy begets tyranny.”

“I never do anything I don't want to do. Nor does anyone, but in my case I am always aware of it.”

“Thinking doesn't pay. Just makes you discontented with what you see around you.”

“If you've got the truth you can demonstrate it. Talking doesn't prove it.”

“But goodness alone is never enough. A hard, cold wisdom is required for goodness to accomplish good. Goodness without wisdom always accomplishes evil.”

“There is no safety this side of the grave”

“If God existed (a question concerning which Jubal maintained a meticulous intellectual neutrality) and if He desired to be worshiped (a proposition which Jubal found inherently improbable but conceivably possible in the dim light of his own ignorance), then (stipulating affirmatively both the above) it nevertheless seemed wildly unlikely to Jubal to the point of reductio ad absurdum that a God potent to shape galaxies would be titillated and swayed by the whoop-te-do nonsense the Fosterites offered Him as "worship.”

“He's an honest politician--he stays bought.”

“My dear, I used to think I was serving humanity . . . and I pleasured in the thought. Then I discovered that humanity does not want to be served; on the contrary it resents any attempt to serve it. So now I do what pleases myself.”

“I'm always suspicious of disinterested interest.”

“I do know that the slickest way to lie is to tell the right amount of truth--then shut up.”

“Democracy is a poor system of government at best; the only thing that can honestly be said in its favor is that it is eight times as good as any other method the human race has ever tried.”

“Being sorry won't get you into heaven. Get happy, son. Get that old spring into your step and stay on your toes.”

“Yes, Boss?'
    Dorcas, the last twenty or thirty years I've been a worthless, no-good parasite.'
    She yawned again. 'Everybody knows that.'
    Nevermind the flattery. There comes a time in every man's life when he has to stop being sensible--a time to stand up and be counted--strike a blow for liberty--smite the wicked.'
    Ummm...'
    So quit yawning, the time has come.'
    She glanced down. 'Maybe I had better get dressed.”

“Thou art god, I am god. All that groks is god.”

“Art is the process of evoking pity and terror, which is not abstract at all but very human. What the self-styled modern artists are doing is a sort of unemotional pseudointellectual masturbation . . . whereas creative art is more like intercourse, in which the artist must seduce -- render emotional -- his audience, each time.”

“Long human words (the longer the better) were easy, unmistakable, and rarely changed their meanings . . . but short words were slippery, unpredictable, changing their meanings without any pattern.”

“I’ve been kissed by men who did a very good job. But they don’t give kissing their whole attention. They can’t. No matter how hard they try parts of their minds are on something else. Missing the last bus—or their chances of making the gal—or their own techniques in kissing—or maybe worry about jobs, or money, or will husband or papa or the neighbors catch on. Mike doesn’t have technique . . . but when Mike kisses you he isn’t doing anything else. You’re his whole universe . . . and the moment is eternal because he doesn’t have any plans and isn’t going anywhere. Just kissing you.”

“Anybody can look at a pretty girl and see a pretty girl. An artist can look at a pretty girl and see the old woman she will become. A better artist can look at an old woman and see the pretty girl that she used to be. But a great artist--a master--and that is what Auguste Rodin was--can look at an old woman, portray her exactly as she is . . . and force the viewer to see the pretty girl she used to be . . . and more than that, he can make anyone with the sensitivity of an armadillo, or even you, see that this lovely young girl is still alive, not old and ugly at all, but simply prisoned inside her ruined body.”

“In the twentieth century, nowhere on Earth was sex so vigorously suppressed as in America---and nowhere else was there such a deep interest in it.”

“I grok in fullness.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land Quotes
    Last edited by Duke of Buckingham; 06-15-13 at 04:43 PM.

Diamond Member

Must faith be exactly that, the willingness and ability to believe in the face of a lack of evidence? If one could find the evidence, would then the faith be dead?

Clifford D. Simak

Diamond Member

Your body hears everything your mind says.

Naomi Judd

Diamond Member

1959 - Chuck Berry's "Memphis" was released.

Memphis, Tennessee (song)

"Memphis, Tennessee" is a song by rock & roll singer-songwriter Chuck Berry. It is sometimes shortened to "Memphis". In the UK, the song charted at #6 in 1963, at the same time Decca Records issued a cover version in the UK by Dave Berry and the Cruisers, who came from Sheffield, Yorkshire. Dave Berry's version also became a UK Top 20 hit single, the first of a string of British hit singles which ended with a cover of BJ Thomas' "Mama" reaching #5 in 1966. "Memphis, Tennessee" was most successfully covered by Johnny Rivers whose version of the song was a #2 US hit in 1964.

Berry later composed a sequel, "Little Marie", which appeared in 1964 as a single and on the album St. Louis to Liverpool.

Diamond Member

Your mind hears everything your body says.

Very Crazy Duke

Diamond Member

The danger of sex is you can fall in love. The danger of love is turning into friendship.

Crazy Duke (between friendship and love)

Page 57 of 133 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast