Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD OPTERON 6272 ON NEWEGG.COM NOW!

Diamond Member

Re: AMD OPTERON 6272 ON NEWEGG.COM NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Thanks rgathright and Z, for the info. So when specing out a build like this, if I am doing good on everything but YAFU RAM wise, and I have 8GB for a six core...that means I would need 6*8 or at least 48GB minimum? So I see where you would just do 64GB to make it even...32 for each CPU.

Now just to get a build started, could one put in, say 32GB and be good for most projects? That would be 1GB per thread.
    Like I said, you can get by with less than 2gb/thread. You just won't be able to run some small subset of projects. You could do 1gb/thread for now, and then upgrade the DIMMs later when the price has dropped. Personally, I don't like the idea of buying things twice. And then what do you do with the old smaller DIMMs? But whatever floats your boat.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Well, if you buy RAM made by a well established company, like say Corsair, then the RAM will most likely be on the market for some time. This gives you a viable method of spreading out your RAM cost over time. I checked the user manual for that Asus board. The DIMM slots are configured as 4-pairs in 2 groups per CPU. With this setup you can buy your RAM in two or four sets and possibly save money in the long run.

Edit: Take a look at these.

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) - $89.99 * 2 = $180.00 for 32GB

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) - $1,299.99 (This is the only DDR3-1600 64GB Kit Newegg sells)

Not an apple to apple comparison but it does show that 8GB sticks are just not worth buying.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 11-18-11 at 02:34 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by Beerdrinker View Post
    Unless you are a fan of CPU projects (which is alrigth!) the absolute fastest way to make credits is buying a videocard to crunch with!
    Right, even if I count my PS3 which runs the PrimaBOINC Project when they have work my CPU's & PS3 together hardly =1% of my Daily output ...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainkarl1 View Post
    Really looking to just buy one monster to crunch with. I will of course add video cards to the box. It is time to update my computer. I am trying to see if anyone is able to help me get this thing put together as I am a little worried I might brick something along the way.
    Hey KaptainKarl - I know rgathright is a very cool cat, and he will help you! Just send him a PM, and I am sure he will get back to you within a couple days on what all you would need. He builds this stuff for a living - I mean for other companies and things.
    I would love to do one of these monsters myself someday in the future...

Silver Member

Thanks DrPop. That is good to know and I will check in with him.

Exclamation Re: AMD OPTERON 6272 ON NEWEGG.COM NOW!

Good work below, follow this advice KaptainKarl...

Now to make your build easier, I purchased the ASUS KGPE-D16 first along with a CoolerMaster 1,000 watt power supply to get the special 8 pin power plug. Read my review of the motherboard (linked earlier in this post) to get the full details on each product you need to purchase. I put these parts in my case and then shopped on Ebay for each of the Socket G34 heatsinks. Finally, after all my parts were in place (a month later), I ordered 1 AMD Opteron 6128 processor and 8 sticks of DDR3 1600Mhz ram.

YES, YOU CAN RUN JUST ONE PROCESSOR AT A TIME IN THIS MOTHERBOARD!

Why pay for 2 when you can space out your budget?

Recommended Operating System
    I want your operating system install to go easy for you. Windows 7 is very easy to install and reliable. You should order a copy of Windows 7 64bit Professional because it will support up to 256 processor cores. PLEASE NOTE that AMD has plans on extending these Socket G34 processors to 20 cores in 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Well, if you buy RAM made by a well established company, like say Corsair, then the RAM will most likely be on the market for some time. This gives you a viable method of spreading out your RAM cost over time. I checked the user manual for that Asus board. The DIMM slots are configured as 4-pairs in 2 groups per CPU. With this setup you can buy your RAM in two or four sets and possibly save money in the long run.

Edit: Take a look at these.

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) - $89.99 * 2 = $180.00 for 32GB

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) - $1,299.99 (This is the only DDR3-1600 64GB Kit Newegg sells)

Not an apple to apple comparison but it does show that 8GB sticks are just not worth buying.
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Past Admin

Question:

If one buys a Socket G34 board, and say 2 CPU´s. When the 16 core (or 20 core in 2013) hits the retailers, is it then possible to run 2 "not-a-like" CPU´s in the board...Say one 8-core and one 16/20 core?? ( to space out the buys then)
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28´th December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
    To all of you, today is the first day that you can build a 32 core system using just 2 cpu sockets. The full system will cost you at least $1500 to build
    Isn't that quite a bit low for the build price ??? 2 CPU's & the Motherboard will run you close to $1500 alone, add in 64GB of Memory & the Case & Power Supply & your looking @ over $3000 for a full build, then there's the Video Cards Hard Drives etc ... ... Unless you have some sort of 50%+ Discount your going to spend well over $1500, still it's a lot cheaper than building 4 or 5 or more single core 4-6 Core PC's ...

Past Administrator

Wow. Check out this 4 socket mobo for these bad boys...so in the future when they get 20 core CPUs for socket G34, we could theoretically have an 80 core CPU rig?
    Obviously it would be a crapload of money, and waaaaaaaay less credits than the same $$$ spent in GPUs would give you. BUT...if you were after performance in certain "CPU Only" projects...hmmm.

I have to say, I probably will end up spending on GPUs when the time comes, it's just how I am - maximize credits. However, it does look interesting if you were crunching something that couldn't be done on GPUs.

Gold Member

...what dreams are made of :O

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast