Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PrimeGrid: World Record Generalized Fermat Prime

Diamond Member

PrimeGrid: World Record Generalized Fermat Prime

On 19 Nov 2011 14:03:58, PrimeGrid’s PRPNet found the largest known Generalized Fermat mega prime: 75898^524288+1 The prime is 2,558,647 digits long and enters Chris Caldwell's The Largest Known Primes Database ranked 1st for Generalized Fermat Primes and 13th overall. This is the first prime found at N=524288. The discovery was made by Michael Goetz of the United States using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 in an Intel Core2 Q6600 @ 2.4GHz system with 8GB RAM, running 64 bit Windows 7. This GPU took just under 5 hours to probable prime (PRP) test with GenefCUDA. The CPU completed the primality test using pfgw64 in a little over 8 days! Michael is a member of the SETI.USA team. More details to come...

More...

Diamond Member

Re: PrimeGrid: World Record Generalized Fermat Prime

Congratulations Michael Goetz for your Prime Number. You must be very happy with that achievement. And Congratulations to Seti USA for having Michael in your Team.

Silver Member

WOOT GRATS....

Past Administrator

Sweetness! Go Michael and GO SETI.USA!

Past Admin

Congrats to Mike. Perhaps an Admin could send him a personal congrats on the PG site or email. Then invite him to stop by the forums so we could all slap him on the back.

Past Administrator

This is fantastic! WTG Mike G.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

I received this message from our friend Michael Goetz and I ask to any Admin to open the forum to Michael:

Thanks for the congrats.

I've been trying to reply on this thread, but I guess I've never written anything here before so I was not registered and still need to wait for my account to get posting privileges from the admins.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the kind words.

It was a a heck of a find, but I'm merely the lucky one who was at the right place at the right time. The number of people who contributed to this -- much more than I did -- is extensive. It's a team effort.

Mike

Thanks Mike you are always welcome. I think some Admin will correct the Forum problem.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    I received this message from our friend Michael Goetz and I ask to any Admin to open the forum to Michael:

Thanks for the congrats.

I've been trying to reply on this thread, but I guess I've never written anything here before so I was not registered and still need to wait for my account to get posting privileges from the admins.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for the kind words.

It was a a heck of a find, but I'm merely the lucky one who was at the right place at the right time. The number of people who contributed to this -- much more than I did -- is extensive. It's a team effort.

Mike

Thanks Mike you are always welcome. I think some Admin will correct the Forum problem.
    Yeah Duke, He sent me the same PM. Sorry I spaced it out. He is now registered and now a "Team Member". Enjoy.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 11-24-11 at 04:36 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Michael Goetz

Thanks everyone, it's a big find, and everyone who contributed -- with math theory, programming, sieving, and PRP tests -- had a part in finding that number. My only skill was being lucky.

Now for the fun part -- with such short run-times on the two GFNs that were found with GeneferCUDA, lots of people had the same thought: Can we up the ante a bit and try to get not just a new world record GFN prime, but a world record prime? For many years, the largest prime has been a Mersenne prime, and for good reason: those are the easiest to search for. In fact, right now, not only is the largest known prime a Mersenne prime, but the largest 9 primes are all Mersenne primes.

There may be an opportunity here to find a GFN that's an even larger prime. If anyone is interested, hop on over to this thread.

Past Administrator

MG, thanks for the link. Cool stuff.

And BTW: If you ever find Stampede on eBay, I'd be willing to go in with you for half......

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast