Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Screen

Philadelphia

Blue Screen

I have 2 5870's, one with 2mb and the other 1mb. When I have the 2mb one in I've been getting the dreaded blue screen. I took it out and put in the 1mb and I'm not getting the blue screen.

Is the card the issue? Could it be the power supply? Could it be the driver? Could it be.....????

Thanks for your thoughts.

EDIT: So much for the 1mg not getting the blue screen, it just got it too
    Last edited by Philadelphia; 11-30-11 at 11:32 AM.

Silver Member

Re: Blue Screen

When is the blue screen happening? before windows boots up... after windows is loaded....

Philadelphia

The blue screen was in windows just 'doing stuff'.

I put in the card that's been in it for years and I've had to reboot as the computer hung up with the original card..

I had a new PSU and I just replaced it with the old one so I'm officially back to my original H/W configuration.

Hopefully no more locked computer or blue screens. I'm totally frustrated.

Past Administrator

This could be a couple things - is there any text on the blue screen? That might help us figure it out.
    It could be a RAM issue - that is the most common error that causes blue screens - how are your timings, and all that in the bios - did you change anything recently? If not, then it is likely something to do with the cards and/or drivers. Do you have old drivers in there? Did you do a complete uninstall of the old drivers first, before installing the new ones? Also, it works better if you get one of the cards in there working good, before you put the other one in (for crossfire or just crunching on two).

Past Administrator

In addition to the above, has Windows run an update recently?

Other causes for BSOD:
    *Bad HDD sector(s)
    *Corrupt system/driver file
    *Corrupt BIOS configuration
    *Dirty/oxidized contacts on video card, memory, NIC card, etc...
    *Failing PSU or HDD

There are other possibilities but these are the most common.

F$

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

First, nice to see you on the forums. Always glad to see another team member show up.

TO DO! TAKE A PICTURE OF THE BSOD AND SHARE IT WITH US!

Now, you could be getting this problem because your processor is getting to hot.

Have you tried checking your heatsink and cpu temperatures? 150F would be way to hot for idle (no BOINC).

If you have the system CPU overclocked, take it back down to stock.

Keep us up to date and feel free to share photos, we are all glad to get you crunching again!
    Just another little goldfish... steamrollin the competition one project at a time!
    Staff Hardware Reviewer - BayReviews.com
    Top Reviewer - Computer Hardware - Epinions.com

Philadelphia

I'm sorry for not getting back to everyone with your helpful input, I've been without internet computer/access. These as so frustrating to figure out as you all know.

I don't know how big my butt is but I think (ATM) you all have a right to kick it, lol.

After about 2 hours on the phone (burnt a bunch of my monthly minutes) with my virus software company (support person from the Phillipines) (sp?), it appears it was the issue.

If that is/was the issue, I would never have figured that out.

Soooooooo, I'll do this in steps to get it back to what I want.

Everyones thoughts are appreciated and welcomed.

First, I'll put the 'new' PSU in and see if everything is fine for 'some amount of time'. If all goes well......

Second, I'll put back in the memory chips, G-Skill memory chips (4 1mg's), then....

Third, put the 1mb 5870 by itself, then....

Fourth, put the second 2mb 5870.

'Assuming' the software was the issue, does this sound reasonable?

Philly/Dan

Again, thanks 2 everyone for your thoughts.

Past Admin

Let us know how it turns out. *Fingers crossed*

Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    This could be a couple things - is there any text on the blue screen?
    Lots of text, but way faster than I could read it.

It could be a RAM issue - that is the most common error that causes blue screens - how are your timings, and all that in the bios - did you change anything recently?
    I did put 4 megs of G.Skill memory in it, put I pulled it and put back the tried and trued original 2 megs back in, no luck.

If not, then it is likely something to do with the cards and/or drivers. Do you have old drivers in there?
    I don't know if I have the old drivers still installed (probably so though), after I put the 5870 in there I installed the current ones, so I guess the old one is still there?

Did you do a complete uninstall of the old drivers first, before installing the new ones?
    I didn't

Also, it works better if you get one of the cards in there working good, before you put the other one in (for crossfire or just crunching on two).
    Someone told me that crossfiring them was not a good idea for BOINC. I have no idea.

Philadelphia

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    In addition to the above, has Windows run an update recently?

Other causes for BSOD:
    *Bad HDD sector(s)
    *Corrupt system/driver file
    *Corrupt BIOS configuration
    *Dirty/oxidized contacts on video card, memory, NIC card, etc...
    *Failing PSU or HDD

There are other possibilities but these are the most common.

F$

If it's any of the above, I hope its the PSU, others are beyond my knowledge, other than cleaning the contacts.

Since getting off the phone with the software company, no computer lock ups and/or blue screens. My small fingers are crossed in more ways that should be possible, lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast