Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SandyBridge-E

Past Administrator

Re: SandyBridge-E

Ahhhhh...such a tough decision. I have been reading all the reviews and drooling, this CPU is a beast. Truly awesome high-end for a desktop CPU. However, you are paying 2x the price of a S.B. i7 2600 for LESS than 2x the performance. Significantly less than 2x the performance, actually.

There are a couple ways to think about this, and I'm sure it's exactly what's going on in your head . . . you could get a "regular" S.B. i7 2600 CPU for half the cost and hope that Ivy Bridge, which will be compatible with the mobo is enough better to be worth it. I'd say there's a pretty good chance that a high end Ivy Bridge CPU will perform pretty close to the S.B.-E CPU you are looking at now.

The other thought is, if you get the big S.B.-E CPU now, they are going to do an Ivy Bridge-E CPU months after the "regular" Ivy Bridge comes out, and it *should* be compatible with the S.B.-E socket you are thinking about. However, I have no idea if the cost of that CPU will be worth the upgrade to you or not at that point.

Third option - if you are really wanting to consolidate into less rigs, and use less energy: one of those 16 core AMD Interlogos Opteron 6272 server CPUs. Less watts than the S.B.-E CPU, and 16 cores. Now, even if Intel's cores were worth 2 of the AMD cores, you're still coming out 4 cores ahead with the AMD, and using less juice. Not only that...you could add another 16 core CPU any time you wanted, and not have to make another rig. Also, (supposedly) they are going to have a 20 core CPU for that socket within months. The mobo is not that much more than the one you're looking at for the S.B.-E, and this CPU is actually cheaper...and you could run 2 hog GPUs off that ASUS G34 mobo - the 8x slot on the bottom has an open end, so a 16x GPU will fit just fine.

Fourth option - if there is $ for it - an Intel XEON setup. You will pay dearly for it, of course, but it would beat the AMD system above. However, bang for the buck it is not. Simply for max power in one box...but I'd not be recommending it unless there was a somewhat endless supply of green stuff around!

Diamond Member

Thanks for all the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Fourth option - if there is $ for it - an Intel XEON setup. You will pay dearly for it, of course, but it would beat the AMD system above. However, bang for the buck it is not. Simply for max power in one box...but I'd not be recommending it unless there was a somewhat endless supply of green stuff around!
    Yeah, that was what I was talking about:

So really the only other option would be to wait for SB E5 (2P) series for 2x the density. I guess they will be out sometime in Q1'12? Not sure if I feel like waiting that long.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

@ Z - that PSU you want is awesome - and it's on sale right now with their Black Friday stuff. Looks like $179 after rebate!
    Just saw round II of their sales - both the HAF-X case and the CPU cooler you like are on sale too. Not trying to imply you should get them, more like surprised everything you picked is on the black friday list at the Egg!

So after mulling it all over, what does your gut tell you with the CPU choices? I know it would be a hard choice for me if I had the funds. Some good options these days.
    Last edited by DrPop; 11-24-11 at 03:03 AM.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    @ Z - that PSU you want is awesome - and it's on sale right now with their Black Friday stuff. Looks like $179 after rebate!
    Just saw round II of their sales - both the HAF-X case and the CPU cooler you like are on sale too. Not trying to imply you should get them, more like surprised everything you picked is on the black friday list at the Egg!

So after mulling it all over, what does your gut tell you with the CPU choices? I know it would be a hard choice for me if I had the funds. Some good options these days.
    I think I will go with the SB-E, what is on the build list. And add a GTX 560Tix2. Wishlist updated:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=18899386

Yeah, 5 of the 8 items on that list are now on sale. I will wait until tomorrow to pull the trigger, just make sure there aren't even more.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I think I will go with the SB-E, what is on the build list. And add a GTX 560Tix2. Wishlist updated:

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=18899386

Yeah, 5 of the 8 items on that list are now on sale. I will wait until tomorrow to pull the trigger, just make sure there aren't even more.
    Hey Z,

I missed this the first time around. That H70 does not come with any fans. I would suggest the following...

Akasa 120mm x 25mm Apache Black Super Silent PWM Fan - $15.99 (x2) (Link)
    Max airflow: 57.53 CFM (97.74 m3/h)
    Max static air pressure: 2.64 mm H2O
    Noise level: 6.9 -16.05 dB(A)

Plus
    FrozenCPU PWM Y Splitter Cable - $5.99 (Link) Or Gelid Solutions PWM Y Splitter Cable - $4.99 (LInk)

Now for something really COOL!!! (Pun Intended) If you would like to match front/Rear case fan speeds (in terms of PWM %) to CPU fan speeds then....

Akasa Flexa FP5 PWM 5-Way Splitter - Smart Fan Cable - $9.99 (Link)

Personally I believe you need to match fans (same manufacture) for the above splitter as different manufactures will not all use the same circuit design to fulfill Intel's specifications for PWM control. The good news is that Akasa makes a big brother to the Apache 120, the Apache 140. Akasa also makes a big cousin called the Viper 140.

Akasa 140mm x 25mm Apache Black Super Silent PWM Fan - $15.95 (Link)
    Max airflow: 89.55 CFM (151.79 m3/h)
    Max static air pressure: 2.76 mm H2O
    Noise level: 12.5-22.19 dB(A)

Akasa 140mm x 25mm Viper PWM Fan - $14.95 (Link)
    Max airflow: 110.61 CFM (141.75 m3/h)
    Max static air pressure: 3.12 mm H2O
    Noise level: 12.5-26.01 dB(A)

Edit: I also like that your picks will total $90.00 in rebates.... Sweet!
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 11-24-11 at 12:11 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Thanks for the info. FYI, $200 in rebates!

Past Administrator

Thanks for the info. FYI, $200 in rebates!
    Really! what did I miss.....?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Really! what did I miss.....?
    Second column from the right, all the green numbers. Or are you talking about rebates on top of the instant rebates?

Past Administrator

Second column from the right, all the green numbers. Or are you talking about rebates on top of the instant rebates?
    Yeah, your right. First brain fart of the day.... I was only looking at MIRs. But $200 is far better than $90.00

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

did you look at the Asus x79 MBs? i am a big fan of Asus MBs

they have a couple of nice features.....

i am looking at the ASUS P9X79 DELUXE LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

includes bluetooth and wifi

1 button automatic SSD cacheing

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast