Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PrimeGrid: The March to the Solstice

Administrator

Re: PrimeGrid: The March to the Solstice

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post

I think 2'nd place is possible, SICI probably have a Lock on 1'st with the GPU Power they have ...
    Okay boys make a decision ... the suspense is killing me. A boycott only hurts the ones staying out since PG is going to get almost everyone and their brother crunching this thing . Why not make a statement and show them what they lost and how SUSA can still kick butt? Since I don't have a horse in this race this is just my personal opinion of course!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Okay boys make a decision ... the suspense is killing me. A boycott only hurts the ones staying out since PG is going to get almost everyone and their brother crunching this thing . Why not make a statement and show them what they lost and how SUSA can still kick butt? Since I don't have a horse in this race this is just my personal opinion of course!
    For the current PPS LLR challenge, No. For the upcoming PPS Sieve race....... OK, OK, OK. You twisted my arm, I'm in.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Here's my 2cents.

For me and obviously most people, BOINC is a hobby and should be fun. I was upset at the credit downgrade at PG, but I'm done with that and feeling a bit more pragmatic about things. PG is still the best consistent Nvidia project (Dirt is always broken) and so I give some props to that. I'll be part of the PPS sieve race.

I believe that we don't need to come to a consensus in deciding to join a challenge. Lets just join them all and let those who wish to participate have fun. Even if we come in last place. The point is, challenges can be contagious and generate more involvement in future activities. It may also keep this place a little more upbeat with excitement and may get more people involved in the forums. It's a great advertisement for our team as well. It goes without saying that we should send an email out to the team for each challenge.

Thanks for bringing the challenge to our attention. I'm in for as long as I can (may be out of town at the end).

Friend of SETI.USA

Nobody has to join the PG Challenge as it's a Project Challenge put on by the PG Project Staff, if your running the Project & the PPS Sieve Wu's your Automatically Entered into the Challenge & your credits towards the Challenge will be listed, also the The Team you are on will be listed & your Credits added to the Teams Challenge Credits during the Challenge. The only Challenges the Team has to be Manually Entered into is the ones put on by BOINCstats ...

Remember also for the PG Winter Solstice Challenge only Wu's Downloaded after the Challenge starts & returned before the Challenge ends are counted towards the Challenge, so there's no Bunkering finished Wu's before the Challenge begins either ...

Lets just join them all and let those who wish to participate have fun
    That's how some Teams do it like the LAF Team, their somehow Automatically (Don't know how they do it either) entered in every BOINCstats Challenge & those that want to run them run them & those that don't want to run them don't run them ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 12-12-11 at 03:20 AM.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    Nobody has to join the PG Challenge as it's a Project Challenge put on by the PG Project Staff, if your running the Project & the PPS Sieve Wu's your Automatically Entered into the Challenge & your credits towards the Challenge will be listed, also the The Team you are on will be listed & your Credits added to the Teams Challenge Credits during the Challenge. The only Challenges the Team has to be Manually Entered into is the ones put on by BOINCstats ...
    Excellent, that makes it easier on us. Thanks for letting me know.

Remember also for the PG Winter Solstice Challenge only Wu's Downloaded after the Challenge starts & returned before the Challenge ends are counted towards the Challenge, so there's no Bunkering finished Wu's before the Challenge begins either ...
    More good info.

That's how some Teams do it like the LAF Team, their somehow Automatically (Don't know how they do it either) entered in every BOINCstats Challenge & those that want to run them run them & those that don't want to run them don't run them ...
    I found the instructions (LINK). It says the founder can sign up via the founders BAM! menu. Perhaps future challenges are listed and can be signed up for in advance on that page. An admin will have to check.

krackedpress

Well, I just got crapped on. Half of the PPS Sieve I did crapped out with a "computing error" instead of finishing. It happened over night, so I did not see anything.

Why they crapped out and the others that were running at the same time did not, I have no clue. What a waste of a day or two of core dedication. I have stopped getting PG for the time being. Maybe they did not like that, since I did that stopping before the PPS Sieve WUs had finished, but allowed the process to go on till it was done.

I use to do PPS Sieve as my main project. I got over 2M credits in about a year crunching it on my quad system [no GPU]. But, no longer. I never had so much problems with PG as I do now with their new longer WUs for these lower credits.

Without it, it took at least a month or two longer to go to my next million mark. I just made my 6M mark a few days ago, but it will be Spring/Summer before I get my next, according to he BOINCstats page. I am crunching with a quad that has no GPU.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by krackedpress View Post
    I am crunching with a quad that has no GPU.
    Congrats on 6 mil. We are working on changing the "no gpu thing" KP, you know if you have a 4 or 6 pin connector from you psu? Can you psu handle a video card?

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Congrats on 6 mil. We are working on changing the "no gpu thing" KP, you know if you have a 4 or 6 pin connector from you psu? Can you psu handle a video card?
    I am not "up" on the pin issue needed for a GPU card.

I see a
    "flat" 4 pin,
    4 in in two rows,
    a 6 pin in two rows with a 2 pin one bundled to it,
    plus the standard power for SATA drives, and the older drive types.

It there a graphic that shows the different connectors needed? The shapes of them?

The PCIe x16 cad slot is next to the x1 short slot. I would say that I would not want one that it too long or wide. There are a lot of cables in the way if it takes too much length or width.

I can upload a photo on the space I have, if needed.

EDIT:
    well, I decided to add it here now.

It looks like there is a 4-pin plugged into a connector that is called "ATX12V1", next to the PCIe x1 slot. Is that the needed plug and connection needed, or is there a need for a direct connection to the card as well? The connection was done by the company I bought it from. I knew I would want more than the 400-480 Watt PSU, so I had them put in a 600 Watt one as an upgrade, just like the extra fans. My 8 inch fan in the side already died, and it looks like to be a specific size one that is not carried by many places. I removed the dead thing and just keep the grill open for good air flow. I still have two 4 inch fans, one blowing in [front] and one blowing out [back under the PSU]. I may sift one to the opening, somehow/someway. For now the PSU outflow does not get too warm/hot. IF I get a GPU that has a fan, unlike the fan-less one I had, I may need to replace the 8 inch fan with something. Should it blow air in or suck it out? Should the current fans blow it in so the heat goes out the 8 inch hole, or both blow out so the air comes in?

quad-space.jpg
    Last edited by krackedpress; 12-14-11 at 01:55 PM.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by krackedpress View Post
    I am not "up" on the pin issue needed for a GPU card.

I see a
    "flat" 4 pin,
    4 in in two rows,
    a 6 pin in two rows with a 2 pin one bundled to it,
    plus the standard power for SATA drives, and the older drive types.

It there a graphic that shows the different connectors needed? The shapes of them?

The PCIe x16 cad slot is next to the x1 short slot. I would say that I would not want one that it too long or wide. There are a lot of cables in the way if it takes too much length or width.

I can upload a photo on the space I have, if needed.

EDIT:
    well, I decided to add it here now.

It looks like there is a 4-pin plugged into a connector that is called "ATX12V1", next to the PCIe x1 slot. Is that the needed plug and connection needed, or is there a need for a direct connection to the card as well? The connection was done by the company I bought it from. I knew I would want more than the 400-480 Watt PSU, so I had them put in a 600 Watt one as an upgrade, just like the extra fans. My 8 inch fan in the side already died, and it looks like to be a specific size one that is not carried by many places. I removed the dead thing and just keep the grill open for good air flow. I still have two 4 inch fans, one blowing in [front] and one blowing out [back under the PSU]. I may sift one to the opening, somehow/someway. For now the PSU outflow does not get too warm/hot. IF I get a GPU that has a fan, unlike the fan-less one I had, I may need to replace the 8 inch fan with something. Should it blow air in or suck it out? Should the current fans blow it in so the heat goes out the 8 inch hole, or both blow out so the air comes in?

quad-space.jpg
    Take a look at this ---> http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...tml#pciexpress

At the top of the page there are 5 rows of pictures. The fifth row shows the 3 types of PCI Express (PCI-E or PCIe) power connectors that plug into video cards.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Take a look at this ---> http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucon...tml#pciexpress

At the top of the page there are 5 rows of pictures. The fifth row shows the 3 types of PCI Express (PCI-E or PCIe) power connectors that plug into video cards.
    Thanks
    I have printed the page to PDF.

Now it would be nice to know which cards need which. But that is a thing that you would need to deal with when looking at the cards. Each manufacture may use a different connector for the same GPU processor type.

At least I have them, plus one plugged into the MoB already. I hope only the really powerful/expensive ones need to have a power connection directly, instead of through the PCIe connection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12