Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: HD 5970 Clusterfrak

Past Administrator

Re: HD 5970 Clusterfrak

With the 6xxx series out this might not be the mod of choice but.........

Arctic Cooling Accelero XTREME 5970 VGA Cooler - $75.95 (Link)

Edit: If you go this route I would suggest using Arctic Silver 5 or Antec Formula 5 thermal compound.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 12-07-11 at 04:42 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

My 5970's don't really run that hot 65c-70c is about it, Winter or cooler weather here now so I can control the Temps in the Garage where I have the Box's by opening or closing the Door a little, I also blow some of the warmer air into the house to try & save on heating costs for the house during the winter ... Will have to see how hot the 6990 run's, if to hot may have to get something like that ...

Philadelphia

That is some serious fanning, I think I could feel my hair moving.

Administrator

I know a guy who bought one of the those fan coolers for his 5970 and he loved it. That is until he added a 2nd high end card to the case and things started getting pretty warm. That cooler doesn't vent out of the back, it dumps all the heat from the 5970 into the case. He went back to stock cooling on the 5970.

Your results may vary

Friend of SETI.USA

I had 4 GTX 460 Sparkle Calibre's with those types of fans, cooled real good until they either quit running or a fan blade broke off ... ... But they replaced them with 3 GTX 470's & a GTX 480 so I can't complain ...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I know a guy who bought one of the those fan coolers for his 5970 and he loved it. That is until he added a 2nd high end card to the case and things started getting pretty warm. That cooler doesn't vent out of the back, it dumps all the heat from the 5970 into the case. He went back to stock cooling on the 5970.

Your results may vary
    Yeah, for that Arctic Cooler you need a case with very good air flow. One with ample exhaust to match the air being pulled into the case. Which has been a real challenge for the majority of cases out there.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Friend of SETI.USA

Don't know what happened but the problem 5970 that had been running the MOO Wu's in the 14-15 Min Range for the last 2+ Days now has gone back to the 18-19 Min Range again. Probably must be something to do with changing the CPU Usage to 3 & then back to 4 again, still ran the Wu's in the 14-15 Min Range running 3 CPU's but now that I've gone back to 4 CPU usage the Wu's are taking 3-4 Min's longer ... :/ ... Will change back to 3 CPU's if the times don't come down soon & see what happens ...

Past Administrator

What % GPU utilization is it showing for each GPU in Afterburner? Try with 3 CPU and then with 4 and see if it makes a difference in the loading. If the GPU is still running at the same clock speed, then the difference in completion times should just be a factor of loading percentage. Obviously as cruncher we want the highest % loading possible, which seems to be 99% on the GPUs.

Friend of SETI.USA

Hard to say really, it's all over the place, up down 1 GPU Core Idle then both running ... It was okay until I changed to 3 CPU Cores running then back to 4 running again ...

Past Administrator

Huh. Something is definitely not right. That's what it looks like on Kat's rig with the crossfired 4870s if I don't reserve 2 cores. Try dropping CPU cores in BOINC until the GPU % utilization is pegged at 99% solid on both of them. Then look at your times. If the times go down like they should, then it is not a GPU problem, but something that is bottlenecking the GPUs.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast