Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ivy Bridge Pricing Is Affordable

Past Administrator

Re: Ivy Bridge Pricing Is Affordable

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    ok that is shocking news, looks like ill be holding on to the 2600k was really looking to upgrade to the 2011 socket but at this point i dont see any reason to do it, except for trying to do quad crossfire.
    I think you misread that report. The report was referring to IB on socket 1155. IB-E on 2011 will have a much larger die so the heat density should be less of a problem. More surface area = greater heat energy transfer.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    I think you misread that report. The report was referring to IB on socket 1155. IB-E on 2011 will have a much larger die so the heat density should be less of a problem. More surface area = greater heat energy transfer.
    Aye i see whatcha mean.. I really hope that is the case once released not that i am an extreme overclocker just like to push the overclock with minimum to no voltage change. IE i can overlcock my 2600k to 4.2 - 4.3 without any voltage mod and want the same OC or maybe even one more bin but concerned that wont be the case but time will tell once they are released.

Diamond Member

The news has broken. If I understand correctly, compared to SB, IB is a die shrink (less power consumption), with improved graphics (opencl), and integrated USB3. It's not going to be significantly faster than SB. I read through all the articles today, but I couldn't find any actual dates for when we can actually buy them. Did I miss it? And no word on the 6-core IB-E at all.

So... If I wanted to build another single-chip cruncher, with as much crunching power as possible, it seems the SB-E is still the way to go. Right? Or am I missing something?

Any idea on when IB xeons will ship? I think that is the only thing that could drive down the price on the SB xeons. Lord knows there is no pressure coming from AMD.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    The news has broken. If I understand correctly, compared to SB, IB is a die shrink (less power consumption), with improved graphics (opencl), and integrated USB3. It's not going to be significantly faster than SB. I read through all the articles today, but I couldn't find any actual dates for when we can actually buy them. Did I miss it? And no word on the 6-core IB-E at all.

So... If I wanted to build another single-chip cruncher, with as much crunching power as possible, it seems the SB-E is still the way to go. Right? Or am I missing something?

Any idea on when IB xeons will ship? I think that is the only thing that could drive down the price on the SB xeons. Lord knows there is no pressure coming from AMD.
    Intel's "tick plus:" third generation Core "Ivy Bridge" processors hit the market <--- Posted 4 hours ago.

Edit: Intel Will Not Release "Ivy Bridge-E" Until Second Half of 2013
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 04-23-12 at 10:31 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member
    Thanks. "this month" is close to running out....

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Thanks. "this month" is close to running out....
    Do you think the Ivy Bridge -e will be worth waiting for over the Sandy Bridge -e?

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Do you think the Ivy Bridge -e will be worth waiting for over the Sandy Bridge -e?
    Me? No, I don't. Performance improvement is very small, and there is no point in waiting another year or more for it. Also, for a dedicated cruncher, there is no other feature that is useful or compelling.

Silver Member

Ill have to say im kicking myself for not doing the 2011 socket with the sandy... was holding out on ivy. The reason is more on gamers side of things i wanted to do quad crossfire with 4 pcie running at x8 3.0 without need for a special chip and many games still only use one core or at most 2 cores. So i have given up all hopes on ivy at this point and find that the slow release of this socket and CPU is a total fubar from intel imo.. If they would have released it at the same time imagine how many folks that went with the I7 1155 socket because they couldnt wait any longer for the 2011 socket.. They really missed out on making money from me and im sure others, oh well... Its not that im not happy with the performance it more then stellar just wanted the extra options but at this point im done dreaming the ivy system and have moved on to haswell.

Past Administrator

Coronicus - if you ebay'ed your 1155 mobo and SB-E, would you lose that much? Just wondering aloud here...sounds like Zombie has been very happy with his socket 2011 rig.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Coronicus - if you ebay'ed your 1155 mobo and SB-E, would you lose that much? Just wondering aloud here...sounds like Zombie has been very happy with his socket 2011 rig.
    Yeah see thats what got me in an uproar about it.. At the time of putting it together i was think well let me just go with the cheaper motherboard and a 2500k for meantime and just take the lose reselling it (course someone said something about the 2600k with hyperthread and that made sence since i needed extra threads for gpu aswell as cpu) and go all out with a ivy on the 2011 but at this point dont see that happening the window to sale it without a significant lose has gone due to ivy release on 1155 and still waiting for ivy to show up for 2011. So the spark i once had to buy the ultimate gaming rige has come and gone by making a mistake thinking ivy would be available quickly for the 2011, so i guess you can say buyers remorse should of just went all out at the time. So guess ill just be waiting till next black friday and see wether i have any want to move forward with my original plan. BTW the motherboard i was looking at was the same one you quoted on zombie new rig and was the only motherboard in the 2011 socket that could actually fit 4 video card dont understand why other manufacturer didnt do the same just puzzles me...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast