Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MOO Wrapper Happy Holidays!

Diamond Member

Re: MOO Wrapper Happy Holidays!

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    Nice numbers!

I forgot to mention that my numbers are based on normal Moo! credit and not on the holiday increase.

For holiday times, I've been getting around 700k on my 6970, which is great

As for my GTX 590, I don't know whats up. I'm running at stock speeds. Could it have something to do with Moo! running 2 gpus on a single task? I don't know if that is normal or not.
    That is normal. Are you using the right "core" (aka application)? Did you run the benchmark process?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Friend of SETI.USA

Get an actual Wall Clock Time for the Wu's on your 590 or what the BOINC Managers says the Wu's are running in, mine run them in about 13.5 to 17.5 Min' running @ 700 Core Speed, what I see in your Account is over an hour for your 590 but I think that's being reported as Double the Time or more. I noticed off & on the Times being reported Double the Time than it actually took to run the Wu's ... I never have run any Benchmarks on my Box's for the MOO Project because it never works, I just set to Auto-Select I think it is ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 12-30-11 at 10:14 AM.

Platinum Member

I had the same problem. 80,000/day for dual GTX460's. When you say running the benchmarks is that with the BOINC software or a standalone program?

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Diamond Member

You use the app in the project directory, from the command line. You try out each of the core choices and then pick the fastest one (at the project's preferences page).

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
    I had the same problem. 80,000/day for dual GTX460's. When you say running the benchmarks is that with the BOINC software or a standalone program?
    Nope. Its a Moo benchmark.

Just shutdown BOINC. open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Moowrap.net project folder. In the folder tree (left column of Explorer) press Ctrl + Shift while right clicking the Moowrap.net folder and select "Open Command Window Here".

In the command window type the following dnetc518-win32-x86-stream.exe -bench and press enter. This will run the benchmark and report the best "Core" app to use for Moo. Now just go to the Moo website and in the project preferences section select the Core that the bench recommended.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 12-30-11 at 04:26 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Someone (else ) needs to type up a quick explanation of "cores" and how to benchmark (for all OSs). Put that in a thread of its own. And then make that a sticky in the Moo sub-forum.

Edit: Or maybe add it to this page:

http://www.setiusa.us/content.php?455-moo!-wrapper_1

But a sticky with a link to that page would still be needed.
    Last edited by zombie67; 12-30-11 at 06:08 PM.

Silver Member

Aye good idea.. i had to dig several times for the info since the subject matter didnt match what i was looking for... Ill see if i can find that info again that way we can clean it up and sticky it somewere like in the moo section

Silver Member

This is just info i copied with some minor editing from a few thread so please help me out in editing or corecting any of the info below so we can get an admin to sticky this somewere.. I know moo gave me a terible headache trying to figure out and all this info would have made things so much easier. Also if i forgot to give anyone credit for the info please say something so it can be included.

MOO info

1. Unless something has changed you WILL need the dummy plug.
    Did you "extend" the desktop to the 2nd card so it would be found by Windows?
    Crossfire removes the need for a dummy plug as the cards are then technically one unit.
    2. Moo uses ALL ATI GPUs so you will only show 1 task running in BOINC.
    running (??cpu + 2 ATI GPUs)
    3. The time reported in the task listing on the Moo project may or may not be accurate when running multiple GPUs. Click on the left column of a pending or valid wu (opens the wu std err file) and look at the START time and the STOP time and the difference is the actual time it took to do the wu. Your reported time MIGHT be double what this says. The wu has the correct time.
    4. When you have Moo running, check the GPU loading using something like GPU-Z or MSI Afterburner you should see 95%+ loading on both cards.
    5. when multiple GPU's are present. BOINC may only use the faster one. In the <options> section of your cc_config.xml file you can add:
    <use_all_gpus>1</use_all_gpus>
    6. On a single GPU you need to reserve a thread for Moo. On a dual GPU you need to reserve a FULL CORE.
    7. Are you running your wu on "core 0". On all my ATIs systems it is MUCH MUCH better to run on "Core 3". You set that in project preferences. You can run a benchmark that will show you how it will perform on each of your cores. Then use that to select the correct "core" in prefernces.
    1. Stop BOINC
    2. Call up the command prompt
    3. Type in the path name of the executable "dnetc518-win32-x86-stream.exe -bench"
    [INDENT]
    So it will be something like C:\program data\boinc\project\moowrap.net\dnetc.... . exe -bench
    4. Hit enter

The program will run and show you the speed of each core on your processor (relative only to Moo). In Project Preferences that is the one you want to use. Makes a BIG BIG BIG difference in credits.

Most of the credit goes to bryan for this information and also those in the following threads
    http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?2591-Dual-5870-s
    http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php?1760-Moo-Runtimes

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    That is normal. Are you using the right "core" (aka application)? Did you run the benchmark process?
    I ran the benchmark for my HD 6970 machine and set the core in the project preferences. But I did not do it for my GTX590 box. I saw that the performance was horrible after a few long tasks and just decided it wasn't worth it. But i'm retesting again and my numbers are looking much better now. I'd have to change my box to use another boinc group as well if the core is different. I think I'm in the Home group, so I'll probably try 'school' or 'work' to separate them.

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    Get an actual Wall Clock Time for the Wu's on your 590 or what the BOINC Managers says the Wu's are running in, mine run them in about 13.5 to 17.5 Min' running @ 700 Core Speed, what I see in your Account is over an hour for your 590 but I think that's being reported as Double the Time or more. I noticed off & on the Times being reported Double the Time than it actually took to run the Wu's ... I never have run any Benchmarks on my Box's for the MOO Project because it never works, I just set to Auto-Select I think it is ...
    I'm running another test and the time on my client appears to say that it will complete in about 17 minutes! Wow!. This is lightyears better than what it was getting before. I haven't changed anything really, except that I restarted the client a few times fiddling with Einstein. It looks like I have to change my feelings towards Moo! and Nvidia I'll check the task times on Moo! shortly to see what is reported.

Diamond Member

Be sure to give moo enough CPU. I usually give them 3 cores, so that even with moo running, the CPU is no where near 100%. Then I add back CPU threads one at a time until run times start to climb, then go back one notch.
    Last edited by zombie67; 12-30-11 at 10:38 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast