Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hello

Past Admin

Re: Hello

Glad your here with us Tant, I also recommend Collatz for any gpu crunching where your worried about heat. It is much easier on the gpu than other projects and I'm sure it will run on your gpu.

The Tant

I tried collatz also and the same thing happened where the computer would do an emergency shutdown as soon as the screensaver started. I play a game that is pretty graphics intensive and the gpu works fine for that.

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by The Tant View Post
    I tried collatz also and the same thing happened where the computer would do an emergency shutdown as soon as the screensaver started. I play a game that is pretty graphics intensive and the gpu works fine for that.

All good then. Keep on chugging with the cpu. We'll have fun in the upcoming challenges.

Gold Member

Welcome to the boards!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Tant View Post
    I kept getting gpu error warning in my taskbar crunching POEM. I also couldn't get any wu's so I switched to moo. Whenever the screensaver would become active the computer would do an emergency shut off and restart. I've decided not to crunch gpu for now. Anyway, I was afraid of extra heat. I seem to burn through computers faster than other people I know.
    If you want to crunch with your GPU, change your screen saver "blank screen". Anything the screen saver does uses memory and processing resources that could be used for crunching. Some screen savers use a lot of memory and processing power. If the GPU runs out of memory, it could lock up the computer. If it uses too many processing resources, response will seem sluggish. If the power supply is not large enough to power the GPU (a high end GPU will use more power than the rest of the computers parts put together), the machine will shut down.

Just like people slow down as they get older, power supplies generate less power as they get older. A 500W power will drop to 450W as time goes by, so a GPU that requires a minimum 500W PSU may not work with an older 500W PSU. Then general rule for PSUs is to to make sure it won't have to ever run over 80% of its rated capacity. For GPU crunching, I'd suggest a 550W or 600W power supply at a minimum. Also, a higher wattage PSU will use less electricity at 50% load than an lower wattage PSU at 90% load. So, while it may cost more to purchase, it will probably more than pay for the difference in electricity in the long run.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123