Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yafu: new MT app available, and help needed

Diamond Member

Yafu: new MT app available, and help needed

The good news: They implemented a multi-threaded app! Run times are much smaller now, with lots of cores. Love it!

The bad news: The credits have gone from bad to horrible. It uses CreditNew still, so it is impossible to tell what is going on. My theory: The wrapper system it uses is somehow messing with the CPU time value, and under-reporting CPU time as if it was a single CPU app. So you are using all (say) 8 cores, for (say) an hour, and it is awarding credits as if it was a single CPU being used for an hour. Read more about it here, if you want.

Both apps are still available (MT and non-MT), but there is no way to manually chose one or the other via project preferences. Yoyo asked DA how to do this, and DA said there is no way. The BOINC server is sending everyone the MT app. The only way around this is via anonymous platform.

So I need some help, please. Can someone please write an app_info.xml file? It is beyond me. The application itself is the same for both MT and non-MT, actually. But it uses a wrapper, and I just don't know how to do all that in an app_info.xml.

FYI, we are still in the #1 spot. And now that everyone's production has been cut WAY down due to the MT app, us (just me?) getting back to the non-MT app would be an easy opportunity to increase the lead.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Re: Yafu: new MT app available, and help needed

I doubt that I can help but this might point someone in the right direction. Can you please post the contents of that job.xml file.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

There are several files:

yafu_w64_02.ini
    Code:
    ggnfs_dir=.\
    ecm_path=ecm.exe
    R=1

yafu_w64mt_02.ini
    Code:
    ggnfs_dir=.\
    ecm_path=ecm.exe
    R=1
    yafujob_0.02.xml
    Code:
    <job_desc>
        <task>
            <application>yafu</application>
            <stdin_filename>in</stdin_filename>
            <stdout_filename>out</stdout_filename>
            <checkpoint_filename>nfs.dat</checkpoint_filename>
        </task>
    </job_desc>
    yafujobmt_0.04.xml
    Code:
    <job_desc>
        <task>
            <application>yafu</application>
            <stdout_filename>out</stdout_filename>
            <command_line>-threads $NTHREADS  -batchfile in</command_line>
    	 <multi_process/>
            <checkpoint_filename>nfs.dat</checkpoint_filename>
        </task>
    </job_desc>
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

I take it no one has answered your request on the Yafu forum?

Well it looks like yafujobmt_0.04.xml is the file that initiates multi-threading with this line <command_line>-threads $NTHREADS -batchfile in</command_line>.

I wonder if you tell BOINC not to check file sizes in the cc_config.xml if I could just copy the contents of the yafujob_0.02.xml file into yafujobmt_0.04.xml..... I can't try it now but maybe over the weekend just to see.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

So, did anyone figure out how to get the non threads tasks to run? I was thinking of finishing up my 250k MM for this project before it ends, but I don't want to waste all my cores with a mt task that doesn't grant any more credit than a single core task.

Gold Member

Set your computer to 1 processor only then set your cache to 10 days. Set NNW and open back up all cores.

When I limit one of my dual cores to one CPU sim1 sends me non-mt tasks.

It's worth a shot.
    6r39 7r199

Gold Member

Cool I'll try it when I get back. Its cheap pizza Tuesday at mountain Mike's

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Gold Member

Trigggl's method worked! Only issue so far is that it only downloads 4 tasks and then says I've reached a limit. Maybe I need to complete a few tasks before I can download more? Either way, you da man Trigggl!

On a side note, prior to this, I tried to edit the <commandline...-THREAD... part out of the yafujobmt_0.04.xml file. It does indeed check the file size and found that it was wrong. So, I padded the file with white space until it reached the correct file size. Unfortunately, it still downloaded the mt tasks, so I gave up. Don't have time to fiddle as I have a mid term tomorrow.

As soon as my current tasks complete, I'll try Trigggl's method again.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    Trigggl's method worked! Only issue so far is that it only downloads 4 tasks and then says I've reached a limit. Maybe I need to complete a few tasks before I can download more? Either way, you da man Trigggl!

On a side note, prior to this, I tried to edit the <commandline...-THREAD... part out of the yafujobmt_0.04.xml file. It does indeed check the file size and found that it was wrong. So, I padded the file with white space until it reached the correct file size. Unfortunately, it still downloaded the mt tasks, so I gave up. Don't have time to fiddle as I have a mid term tomorrow.

As soon as my current tasks complete, I'll try Trigggl's method again.
    If they keep limiting the number of tasks you could try using multiple VMs. Initially set each VM CPU to one core, DL the tasks, shut down the VMs, up the cores to 4~16 and then restart the VMs.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

The vm approach would require a lot of micro managing. It appears the Yafu will only let me download 4 at a time as I tried it again. So, I may have to just do the mt tasks. It may not be too bad. I just looked at some other crunchers completed tasks and it looks like they do count the total run time now for all cores.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast