Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yafu: new MT app available, and help needed

Diamond Member

Re: Yafu: new MT app available, and help needed

Quote Originally Posted by spingadus View Post
    Well, if anyone has the time to create a working app_info file please post it here
    +1

In the mean time, once I get my 100k @ Sim1, I will re-task my VMs, changed to 1 thread, to yafu.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Isn't that a lot of overhead? Do you run your vms concurrently with boinc on the main OS?

Diamond Member

Isn't that a lot of overhead? Do you run your vms concurrently with boinc on the main OS?
    No, no additional overhead. For example, on an 8 thread CPU, I would set BOINC to use 7 threads, and the VM to use 1 thread.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    No, no additional overhead. For example, on an 8 thread CPU, I would set BOINC to use 7 threads, and the VM to use 1 thread.
    I see. I thought you were going to run more vm's than that. Yafu credit is low, so 1 vm per pc would be slow going, unless you have a lot of pcs.

Diamond Member

I see. I thought you were going to run more vm's than that. Yafu credit is low, so 1 vm per pc would be slow going, unless you have a lot of pcs.
    Only about 4-5 running VMs. But with fast SB threads, it will go fast enough.

Diamond Member

Update:

The fact that CPU time reporting is messed up, has nothing to do with the credits awarded. Credits are based on run time and the number of threads (MT app). You can read more about it here.

Anyway, after doing some more data analysis, there is an upside. Credits awarded are not so horrible after all. On a Core2 CPU, credits range from 20-40 credits/hour/thread. Considering that the old "normal" method of awarding credits awarded ~20 c/h/t*, it is not worse than it used to be, once the machine settles down under CreditNew....at least for this project. I validated this across three different machines.

So I guess this is a long way to say it is safe to come back to yafu, if you want. It would be nice to keep our #1 spot there. Remember, it is a finite project. So we can keep that #1 forever.

*Seriously. Compare to some of the older projects like amelegrid, sztaki, etc

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123