Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem with BOINC and remote accessing

Gold Member

problem with BOINC and remote accessing

So I asked my husband this week if he would install BOINC and he said he had in the past but he found it was problematic to run it during the day and then try to remote into his machine. It would just show a black screen and give him problems trying to remote in. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Past Administrator

Re: problem with BOINC and remote accessing

Quote Originally Posted by artemis8 View Post
    So I asked my husband this week if he would install BOINC and he said he had in the past but he found it was problematic to run it during the day and then try to remote into his machine. It would just show a black screen and give him problems trying to remote in. Has anyone had any experience with this?
    Nope. I use UltraVNC every day to manage 6 systems from my desktop. I do know that if a Windows machine has been running for more then 48 hours without a reboot it can make UltraVNC sluggish. That, as far as I know, is due to those systems having limited RAM, only 2GB per box, and Windows horrible memory management.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by artemis8 View Post
    Hummm, artemis8, you might try TeamViewer instead. Never had problems and what is more, it is free for personal use!

Hope this helps!
    CH
    "Everything will be great at the end! And if it is not great, it is not yet the end!" "Do not ever strive for perfection! Strive for excellence instead!"
    "Sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or even a single one!" "Infinite diversity in infinite combinations"

Silver Member

ditto on teamviewer!

Gold Member

I'm currently logged into my machine at home from work getting ready to resume Rosetta when Simap runs out. Of course, I run Linux. YMMV
    6r39 7r199

Administrator

A couple of years ago there WAS and issue with remote control via VNCs and BOINC. It would give a black screen. I really don't remember if it was caused by BOINC or the VNC being used.

I have been away from my machines for 3 1/2 months now and I have been controlling them with TeamViewer and I've had absolutely no problems. I would suggest that your husband try it again with a current version of BOINC and a current VNC!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Herr View Post
    Hummm, artemis8, you might try TeamViewer instead. Never had problems and what is more, it is free for personal use!

Hope this helps!
    Question. The last time I tried remote access as soon as I logged in Win7 defaulted to its default drivers, thus shutting down my gpus. Does anyone else have this problem?

Diamond Member

Ah, now it is coming back. The problem is with the native windows implementation of screen sharing (or whatever it is called). Use a true VNC, and there is no problem.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Yeah, never use windows Remote Desktop into a Boinc machine where you are crunching with your gpu. It cause the machine to change to a safe gpu driver and stop your gpu crunching. You have to use a different software like vnc or the others that were mentioned. Vnc works fine for me.

Silver Member

Aye I had video issues with boinc and windows remote when running gpu projects. My recomendation for now is to kill the gpu projects so he can continue using windows remote control. Would rather have some cpu power for the time being till there is a better way to get around the gpu issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast